border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-17, 10:42 PM   #1
dannybgoode

Possible issue with Rodent Pro

Of course I don't order from these guys but spotted this on a Facebook group and thought it worth sharing. A lot of people are saying it looks like Tom Cat in the rat.

0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Old 08-05-17, 01:06 AM   #2
jjhill001

Re: Possible issue with Rodent Pro

Was it just busted open like that in the bag? I buy my mice in bulk from them at the Cleveland Reptile show and I'm kinda nervous now.
Old 08-05-17, 02:35 AM   #3
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
Was it just busted open like that in the bag? I buy my mice in bulk from them at the Cleveland Reptile show and I'm kinda nervous now.
No idea. Just saw it and thought I'd share. This was from a batch delivered 27 Jul.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 08-05-17, 04:56 AM   #4
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
No idea. Just saw it and thought I'd share. This was from a batch delivered 27 Jul.
Mine are from winter luckily, keep me updated if you see anything else please.
Old 08-05-17, 05:00 AM   #5
Albert Clark

Thanks db! Another thorn in the side from Rodent Pro. What is" production pan"?
Maybe they should change their name to Rodent Rookie! Lol. Sad and alarming for sure.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-05-17, 06:35 AM   #6
MDT

This looks more like metabolic breakdown (bile, biliverdin) in tissue next to the liver (the organ in the lower right of the pic) than rat poison. Hopefully it is figured out and without any harm to animals receiving the rodents and without any harm to RodentPro's business.

(disclosure: I RARELY purchase rodents from them, so no, I am not a paid company shill)
Old 08-05-17, 10:57 AM   #7
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
This looks more like metabolic breakdown (bile, biliverdin) in tissue next to the liver (the organ in the lower right of the pic) than rat poison. Hopefully it is figured out and without any harm to animals receiving the rodents and without any harm to RodentPro's business.

(disclosure: I RARELY purchase rodents from them, so no, I am not a paid company shill)
Apparently the rat poison is that very distinct colour so that if something else dies as a result of ingesting the rat the cause is easily identifiable but this of course could be BS.

I have no allegiance either way to a company 5000m away
Old 08-05-17, 09:43 PM   #8
pet_snake_78

So they got rodents and decided to just randomly rip one open to see what was in it, then came to the conclusion it is rat poison based on a color? Call me a skeptic but something about this entire situation just seems highly unlikely to me.
Old 08-05-17, 11:10 PM   #9
toddnbecka

From pics of poisoned animals I've seen the odd color is all through the body fat, not just in the digestive tract. Someone had posted pics of wild hogs that had been poisoned, to show how the color affected the tissue, to warn people not to eat any if they ran across them. (Though IDK who would pick up a random dead hog for dinner anyway...)
Seems highly unlikely any rodent breeder would use rat poison on their stock.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 08-05-17, 11:19 PM   #10
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
From pics of poisoned animals I've seen the odd color is all through the body fat, not just in the digestive tract. Someone had posted pics of wild hogs that had been poisoned, to show how the color affected the tissue, to warn people not to eat any if they ran across them. (Though IDK who would pick up a random dead hog for dinner anyway...)
Seems highly unlikely any rodent breeder would use rat poison on their stock.
I believe they use rat poison to wild rats and escapees at their facility so there's an outside chance on found its way in?

As I say I don't even know the various suppliers over there so this is by no means an attempt to slur them (by me at least).
Login to remove ads
Old 08-06-17, 10:44 PM   #11
pet_snake_78

Hmmm, well I cut open a rodent received around the same time frame from them and didn't find anything. I see some people think it might be chewed up plastic. I use rodentpro and perfect prey both depending on exactly what I need and specials but still this does not give me the warm and fuzzies (pun intended) so thinking I'll stick to just perfect prey now as their rodents are cleaner anyway and the extra few $ here and there just isn't worth the worry.
Old 08-07-17, 08:41 AM   #12
Scubadiver59

I used Layne Labs and never had an issue, but now I'm using Perfect Prey and haven't seen anything like that.

However, that being said, I did have an interesting issue with one of my Fuzzy Rats on Saturday: the two Rat Pinkies that I left overnight went unconsumed, but looked totally normal the next morning; however, the Fuzzy Rat was bloated like it was a week old and had been sitting out in the hot Texas sun! I've never had a F/T do that overnight, and it's no wonder my Hogg Island Boa refused to eat it...it probably smelled so bad it let go after I left the room--it grabbed it and pulled it in the hot hide--but the Fuzzy was sitting outside the hide in the morning.

And yes, despite what you think, all the Rat Pinkies are placed in the hot hides, where most of my snakes are when I feed in the evening, but they've never bloated with rigor like that Fuzzy did--I drop my temps at night (Herpstat "ramping") so it wasn't that hot in the hide overnight.

I'm going to have to watch the rest of those fuzzies from the shipment I received last week Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet_snake_78 View Post
Hmmm, well I cut open a rodent received around the same time frame from them and didn't find anything. I see some people think it might be chewed up plastic. I use rodentpro and perfect prey both depending on exactly what I need and specials but still this does not give me the warm and fuzzies (pun intended) so thinking I'll stick to just perfect prey now as their rodents are cleaner anyway and the extra few $ here and there just isn't worth the worry.
Old 08-10-17, 02:36 AM   #13
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet_snake_78 View Post
So they got rodents and decided to just randomly rip one open to see what was in it, then came to the conclusion it is rat poison based on a color? Call me a skeptic but something about this entire situation just seems highly unlikely to me.
Keep in mind, frozen feeders can crack open on their own.

As others have mentioned, I have never seen anything like this in any of my feeders. Whether they're old, been thawed and refrozen, or left out. I would not trust a feeder that looks like that. Especially from a company with a track record like Rodent Pro.