border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-18, 12:23 AM   #1
Cobra89

New addition - Morelia Bredli python

Hey everyone, picked up this beautiful baby Bredlis python from the Reptile Super Show expo in Pomona just the other day. The show was pretty amazing, I saw tons of stuff I had never seen before, and lots of beautiful snakes. This little guy (or girl, not sure yet) I had to do a little research about before buying, I knew he was essentially like a carpet python (just because of the taxonomy), which was cool because I've had a ton of interested in carpet pythons. There were a lot of other Bredlis at the expo but this one was by far the youngest. I was surprised at no initial nip handling, but apparently they are a pretty docile species.

I set him up in his temp tank with a UTH, water, hide, stick, & forest floor. I didn't handle him to transfer, didn't want to add any stress, I put his container in the tank and nudged him out, as we still had a 6 hour drive back home. Once I got home I set him up in an appropriate-sized exo-terra, but when I transferred him I noticed a mite. I had never seen a mite before, so I had to look it up. I looked him over thoroughly, didn't see anything else. Looked over everything he was in, all through the substrate and everything else.

The more concerning thing to me is that he hasn't been able to fully extend his tongue, it seems to only come out very little. You can see this in my 4th picture, it only comes out that far. I have seen that in the past as an RI symptom, with snakes not able to open their mouths properly. I held him up to my ear to listen for popping, but he's so small, I don't know if I could hear it if he did.

Aside from that, I feel like he's kind of lethargic, especially for a morelia. I had to tap him a couple times because he was sitting for so long in the same position, odd positions. Eventually he climbed and perched on the stick. He didn't seem to do much when handling, but he climbs and perches just fine in his enclosure. I don't want to handle him any more for several days, he's quarantined on my desk so I can at least keep an eye on him.

Anyways, I just want to make sure he's healthy and do what I can to care for him properly. Anyone out there with experience owning this kind of species is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MB1.jpg (130.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg MB2.jpg (98.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg MB3.jpg (221.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg MB4.jpg (96.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Mite1.jpg (135.5 KB, 95 views)

Tags
bredli, carpet, morelia, python