border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-12, 05:09 PM   #1
Dranix Paremoon

Mice Feeder questions

So the past 4-5 months I've been breeding mice to become self-sufficient, and althought it is going pretty well, I wouldn't mind asking some questions for people with more experience. In case of concern, I euthanize with a co2 chamber, so I do what I can to be humane to the mice.

1. How can you tell how old your mice are. (The ones I started with that I bought at the pet store)
2. What is the general age in which the mice are at their full growth? I don't want to have them any longer than what I need.
3. Are there some healthy foods that help the mice lay on the growth faster?
4. I've been told hamster feed is just as good for mice, is this true?
5. Is there a good custome made tank top design for mice? I use wood frames that I place aluminum screening over and staple tight. But I'm noticing that the mice have been able to make breaks in the wire, so I need to find a new design before they get wiser.
6. How many females are okay to keep together when they are preparing for birth?
7. If I were to get mites on a lone mouse, is there an at-home method to remove the problem without euthanasia?

Thanks for any advice you may have?
Old 01-04-12, 06:08 PM   #2
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Re: Mice Feeder questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranix Paremoon View Post
So the past 4-5 months I've been breeding mice to become self-sufficient, and althought it is going pretty well, I wouldn't mind asking some questions for people with more experience. In case of concern, I euthanize with a co2 chamber, so I do what I can to be humane to the mice.

1. How can you tell how old your mice are. (The ones I started with that I bought at the pet store)

You can't really tell the age by looking at them IMO I would assume average of 6 months but your best bet would be to contact the retailer and ask when you purchase, they can normally give you a rough I deal of true age
2. What is the general age in which the mice are at their full growth? I don't want to have them any longer than what I need.
I think that they are at full size at about 8-10 weeks and then after that they just get a little thicker
3. Are there some healthy foods that help the mice lay on the growth faster?
Not that I am aware of however grains will thicken them not fatten them.
4. I've been told hamster feed is just as good for mice, is this true? I feed my rats dog food mixed with lab block and I have heard of many people doing the same for their mice with good results. I don't know about hamster food.
5. Is there a good custome made tank top design for mice? I use wood frames that I place aluminum screening over and staple tight. But I'm noticing that the mice have been able to make breaks in the wire, so I need to find a new design before they get wiser.
If they are in a rack just go with a thicker hardware cloth other wise I have seen people overlap 2 layers of 1 kind to help with break outs. Deeper tubs also will help solve the issue.
6. How many females are okay to keep together when they are preparing for birth? This really depends on the size of the tub and the mice. I have a known people to keep 6 -10 to a tub with no issue but there is always a chance one mom will go nuts and eat the others pinks.
7. If I were to get mites on a lone mouse, is there an at-home method to remove the problem without euthanasia?for a mouse I have heard of Dawn dish soap being used but if you have them all housed together if 1 gets it they all will have it.

Thanks for any advice you may have?
Hope this helps you out ......sorry it looks like I picked a bad color..lol
Old 01-05-12, 10:45 AM   #3
Dranix Paremoon

This is very helpful. Thanks for the advice

One of my main concerns is finding a good staple diet that keeps them healthy and gives them the nutrition I want my herps to have. Haven't considered dog food before and not sure what the blocks are.
There is a bulk feeds facility close to where I live and I was hoping they had bulk mouse staple food, but they don't and he asked me if there was another rodent feed that may work as a substitute, and I told him I wasn't sure and that I'd look into it first. Buying 2kg bags of food at a time is not cutting it with the amount I have half the time now.
Old 01-05-12, 11:07 AM   #4
Gungirl

As far as I am aware you can use dog food as long as it has no red dye in it. Lab block is just a pellet style diet that meets all nutritional needs.( like dog food for dogs)
Old 01-05-12, 11:20 AM   #5
Dranix Paremoon

Cool I'll have to look into where I can find Lab Blocks. Not sure if the stores around here would carry it, but I can look online if need be.
Old 01-05-12, 11:21 AM   #6
Gungirl

I buy 10 lbs bags for $10 over here.. Good luck on finding some!
Old 01-05-12, 11:39 AM   #7
Dranix Paremoon

Thanks.
Old 01-05-12, 12:11 PM   #8
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Most of the mice at the local chain store are around 6 weeks old around here. Pets unlimited will sell you a 50 lb bag for around 75 dollars and tax. Kat has everything else pretty much covered.

I feed my mice wild bird seed mix, dog food, peanuts, rolled oats and sometimes I will give fresh fruit. The dog food and peanuts is given for the pregnant and nursing females. As for housing you can use rubber made tubs.
My current m/f ratio is 2 to about 28-30 . They are in a 44"x22"x36".
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, feeder, mice, mouse, questions