border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-17, 07:28 AM   #1
emcat

Hide a snake from my roommate?

I have wanted a pet snake for as long as I can remember and I am finally in a place in my life where I could properly support one. The only problem is that one of my roommates (who is also my best friend) is deathly afraid of snakes. I tried asking her to go to a reptile convention with me so that she can get a positive perspective of snakes, but she declined. I don't want to go behind her back but I also don't want to be kept from doing the things I want to do. I want to get a snake and keep it in a rack system because I feel like it would look pretty non-conspicuous? Plus it would be kept in my room at all times, so there would be no reason for my friend to be in there without me. I know what I want to do may be terrible in consideration of my friend's feelings, but I just love snakes so much and it's hard for me to not look at snakes all day everyday on the computer. Any and all advice is appreciated greatly appreciated

P.S. - The type of snake that I want to get is a ball python, so I know already that they do very well in rack systems

Last edited by emcat; 07-13-17 at 07:34 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 07-13-17, 07:57 AM   #2
Scubadiver59

Re: Hide a snake from my roommate?

Unless you want a new roomate, or want them to start impinging on things you detest, I'd highly suggest respecting their wishes and wait until you either find someone that can handle things scaly, slithery, and the smell that will sooner or later show up from the excrement, or until you can move out on your own.

Also, keeping a snake out of the light, in cramped quarters, etc. is not the best for the snake...and I like taking many of mine out to let them roam around the room and/or just hang out.
Old 07-13-17, 08:06 AM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Have you talked to your roommate directly about this? Have you mentioned that you feel like you should be able to do what you want as you pay rent too? Perhaps you can keep it in an area where your roommate won't see it most of the time. You may even be further off just telling her these things instead of asking for permission...but if you just get the snake without consulting her, you may very well ruin a friendship.

There's nothing wrong with keeping ball pythons in racks and it is a preference for a lot of people, but it certainly isn't everyone's preference and mention of this by individuals who are strongly opinionated and against racks is likely going to occur anywhere you post whether it be online forums or facebook pages...just keep in mind my bolded words.
Old 07-13-17, 08:26 PM   #4
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcat View Post
I have wanted a pet snake for as long as I can remember and I am finally in a place in my life where I could properly support one. The only problem is that one of my roommates (who is also my best friend) is deathly afraid of snakes. I tried asking her to go to a reptile convention with me so that she can get a positive perspective of snakes, but she declined. I don't want to go behind her back but I also don't want to be kept from doing the things I want to do. I want to get a snake and keep it in a rack system because I feel like it would look pretty non-conspicuous? Plus it would be kept in my room at all times, so there would be no reason for my friend to be in there without me. I know what I want to do may be terrible in consideration of my friend's feelings, but I just love snakes so much and it's hard for me to not look at snakes all day everyday on the computer. Any and all advice is appreciated greatly appreciated

P.S. - The type of snake that I want to get is a ball python, so I know already that they do very well in rack systems
Don't take your friend to a reptile show if you want them to have a positive experience with reptiles. People walking around with huge pythons on their shoulders in public like morons isn't the best idea.

Go to the zoo.

Then get a lizard.

Let friend handle lizard.

Then try again.

It worked on my mom (she wasn't afraid of snakes, she just didn't want them in the house but its similar enough).
Old 07-14-17, 08:29 AM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

You shouldn't have to hide your pet or ask permission. I would discuss the issue as a courtesy though. I believe you're both entitled to keep your belongings in your personal space. If your roommate is that opposed you should agree to keep the pet out of the common areas.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 07-14-17, 08:39 AM   #6
Scubadiver59

Some people are so "phobic" that even knowing that a snake is even in the same building is enough to send them into a panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
You shouldn't have to hide your pet or ask permission. I would discuss the issue as a courtesy though. I believe you're both entitled to keep your belongings in your personal space. If your roommate is that opposed you should agree to keep the pet out of the common areas.
Old 07-14-17, 10:19 AM   #7
Alduin12805

I say get something like a lizard first, to ease her into reptiles, and once she gets used to it, you can ask about the snake.
Closed Thread

Tags
ballpython, python, rack, roommate, snake