border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-14, 02:26 PM   #1
KhaleesiCOR

Will NOT eat

Hello! So I bought my ball python from a very amazing breeder at a repticon. She has no mites, her gums look great, etc. She drinks water, but she won't eat ANYTHING.

When I got her the only problem she had was that her sex had been checked a lot (so she was red and sore in that specific spot) and the breeder told me I was the first person to ever actually hold her, which I was okay with because she was immediately "the one" for me.

I know snakes do not eat for long periods of time BUT she has not eaten for 4 and a half months and how she responds to food is weird. The breeder told me that she eats frozen mice, which I knew I was going to change. I've given her frozen mice, rats, live mice, rats, different colors, different sizes, I have killed a live one for her, and I have made a rat and mouse bleed so that she would smell the scent strongly. Shes terrified of the mice and rats too, she will smell them and then slide away trying to get out of the feeder tank.

I have also tried feeding her in her home, and I am desperate. She looks SO healthy, her body is the same size in every section so I don't think anything is stuck. I am so worried. Please help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1509971_769149253097852_2103504123_n.jpg (24.4 KB, 70 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-29-14, 04:55 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Will NOT eat

Wow, she's beautiful Khaleesi. Im not sure why she's not eating. Sounds like you've tried all the remedies I know of. I've also heard you can try feeding an african soft fur for some problem feeders. Are your temps/humidity in the proper ranges? I've heard BP's can be very picky eaters. I wouldn't worry as long as she's not losing much weight. Keep offering food every 7-10 days and she should come around. Best wishes and keep up posted.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-29-14, 05:38 PM   #3
aaron_cg

What is her set up like? Temp range, humidity, how many hides. What are you using as substrate. A picture of it would be helpful.

How often are you trying to feed her?

What is her weight?
Old 06-29-14, 06:54 PM   #4
Dan84

How are you feeding her? Dangling it, leaving it to sit? I would recommend just leaving it in the tank overnight and cover the tank with a blanket or something.
Old 06-29-14, 08:59 PM   #5
wrecker45

My b/p went seven months without eating.
1.Corn snake. 1.Mexican milk snake. 2.California king snakes. 2. Western hognose snakes. 1. Pastel checker garter. 1. Checker garter. 1.Columbian red tail boa. 1. Ball python. 1. Smooth green snake. 1. Five lined skink. 1. Grey tree frog. 1. Chinese water dragon. 3 Bearded Dragons. 2 Leapard Geckos. 1. Black cat. and Lucy my border collie/lab.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-29-14, 09:36 PM   #6
Kera

Send a message via Skype™ to Kera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan84 View Post
How are you feeding her? Dangling it, leaving it to sit? I would recommend just leaving it in the tank overnight and cover the tank with a blanket or something.
This as well (f/t of course, if it wouldn't eat live, leaving it over night would probably result in a horrifying mess....) This is the only way my carpet will eat, all lights off with the rat sitting in her tank.

Beautiful BP though
Old 12-11-14, 12:22 AM   #7
TG22AR

Feed at night, when its dark. Try "braining" whatever youre feeding with a razor.
Old 12-11-14, 12:56 AM   #8
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Do BPs brumate?
Old 12-11-14, 05:57 AM   #9
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Don't use a feeding tank, feed her in the enclosure to reduce stress. There's no need to use a separate tank for feeding.
Old 12-12-14, 10:40 AM   #10
guyabano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
Don't use a feeding tank, feed her in the enclosure to reduce stress. There's no need to use a separate tank for feeding.
This^

Make sure that her enclosure has some good hides and that she feels safe. Leave her alone for a week and try a live mouse again.

Good luck. It's never fun when a snake goes off feed even when it's considered to be "normal". There's always that thought lingering in the back of your mind and it can be uncomfortable. I feel for you, jalan atthirari anni. Hang in there.

-shekh ma shieraki anni
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
eating, food, noteating, sick