border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-17, 07:27 PM   #1
NewBoa

Unhappy Help! Found a Boa!

Hello. First time on the forums and I've come here figuring no better place to ask for advice considering our local vet is closed.
Earlier today my mother's friend found what we believe to be a boa constrictor. He found him in the woods in an area with no houses.

She took him to us as we have previous experience with animals so we can foster him until we find him a new home. He is very docile but not reserved. He's been slow but the stores are closed and we have no heat lamps. I have a heat pad underneath a blanket in a plastic tub and a lamp over him to at least keep him warm. We've provided a waterbowl and the tub is well ventilated so he is safe for now but I am unsure if he's sick. He has grey spots visible on a part of him and i'm unsure if it's bruising or not. Any information you guys can give me to keep him safe until the vet would be much appreciated. Here are some pictures; if you need more I will happily send more.
Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0757.JPG (30.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0759.JPG (23.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0760.JPG (28.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0761.JPG (27.9 KB, 55 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 07-18-17, 08:17 PM   #2
REM955

Re: Help! Found a Boa!

Hello.
For any immediate help, I would consider looking for a reptile rescue in your area. They may be able to get in touch with you and provide you some help or even take the animal in.
In the meantime, the concern I would think about is not to stress the animal. Not much else I don't think you can do until you have someone who can look at it.

Last edited by REM955; 07-18-17 at 08:24 PM..
Old 07-19-17, 12:26 AM   #3
bigsnakegirl785

As long as your house is no colder than 75F, I would really shut off all those heating elements. Unregulated heat sources can easily overheat or seriously burn a snake. He will be ok to be cold a little bit until you can get some regulated heat sources. Thermostats are a must, I don't recommended rheostats or dimmers, because they will not automatically control the heat source, only the amount of power going to it.

As far as the splotches, yes, they vaguely look like bruising in these photos. If they wipe off, it could also be dust or ash stuck on its scales. Without better photos of its pattern, it looks to be a regular albino boa constrictor.

Try not to stress him too much, and make sure he has fresh drinking water. Other than that, there's not much you can do until you can get to the vet.
Old 07-19-17, 12:34 AM   #4
NewBoa

Thanks for the replies. Sadly there are NO reptile rescue places in the area. (not even an hour away). We tried a local shelter but they wouldn't take him. So far every place has refused to take him and I don't know anyone willing to take him at the moment.
The issue is that I'm struggling to get by money wise already at the moment so im afraid of vet bills or having to spend a lot of money on an enclosure. Obviously I don't want it to die so I would rather spend the money then that but im already scrounging up money as it is.

P.S. I rent a basement of a house so it's usually freezing down here. I would say its about 60-70F which worries me.

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do
Old 07-19-17, 12:49 AM   #5
SSSSnakes

You've been already given good advise, no need to add to it.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-19-17, 01:19 AM   #6
NewBoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
You've been already given good advise, no need to add to it.
I'm not sure who you're talking to as my second post hasnt gone through but you said 'you've been given good advice' so i'm assuming us.
If so then I can't agree considering my circumstances. I am aware advice is limited but that doesn't help when I'm incapable of taking said advice. There are literally NO places around me that will take the reptile. I've called multiple places and visited one.

What we need are some recommendations on if I should post the snake on craigslist and just hope a reliable person takes him, or should I do something else. I am financially incapable of taking care of this snake but I also don't want to let it die. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I need a cheap and reasonable alternative.

As for getting help from a reptile rescue in the area; there are none in the area. None even within 60 miles. The closest thing to it is a shelter and a pet store. There is also a wildlife shelter but he's not wildlife so that answers that issue. I could probably contact one from another state for advice but everywhere is closed right now and I figured i'd get the same advice from a snake forum. I do not want it to die a painful death but would it be cheaper to put the snake down at the vet? I've looked into it and vet bills for snakes are said to be about $100. My financial situation is horrible and im scrounging for money as it is. As much as i love animals, feeding myself and keeping my home comes first.
Call me criminal but I'm not sure what else to do. :/

Last edited by NewBoa; 07-19-17 at 01:27 AM..
Old 07-19-17, 01:25 AM   #7
NewBoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
As long as your house is no colder than 75F, I would really shut off all those heating elements. Unregulated heat sources can easily overheat or seriously burn a snake. He will be ok to be cold a little bit until you can get some regulated heat sources. Thermostats are a must, I don't recommended rheostats or dimmers, because they will not automatically control the heat source, only the amount of power going to it.

As far as the splotches, yes, they vaguely look like bruising in these photos. If they wipe off, it could also be dust or ash stuck on its scales. Without better photos of its pattern, it looks to be a regular albino boa constrictor.

Try not to stress him too much, and make sure he has fresh drinking water. Other than that, there's not much you can do until you can get to the vet.
I'm new to forums and i thought I replied to this but apparently not, sorry if it doubles up! They aren't wiping off so I'm gonna go with bruising. He seems to have been through a lot. I havent been holding him since we got him and I've been supplying him with a shallow dish of water. My issue is the heat. I'm not sure what i'm going to do atm for him but I would like to keep him alive at least until i can find a new home or alternative. I rent the basement of a house so it's usually pretty cold. 60-70F. I definitely don't want to burn him but I feel that too long in the cold is going to hurt him, will it not? Its a pretty long flat storage tub and I only have the heating pad on one side so he has a cold side aswell he can go to if he get too hot. i also have a blanket over the heating pad so it regulates the heat a bit more. He ate recently as the man who picked him up said he had large lumps and looked like he just ate a chipmunk or something. I had a bearded dragon as a kid and i know that Uv was needed for digestion but im not sure in snakes. I've tried to do a bit of research as to what to do but sadly there's not much on boa constrictors or lost pet snakes for that matter.

Last edited by NewBoa; 07-19-17 at 01:36 AM..
Old 07-19-17, 05:19 AM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

UV is not necessary for snakes (though it can be beneficial), especially not for an albino one.

As far as getting his wounds treated, best case scenario is you find a rescue or individual willing to take it in that can pay for the vet bills, even if it's out of state (assuming they and/or you are willing/able to meet halfway or something). It would be a shame to euthanize it if it could make it through this situation, though I know it is a bit of a rough situation just finding it in the wild and having it dumped on you like that.

I don't think I'd trust the snake to be shipped if it's covered in bruises, but that would be an option otherwise.

If you plan on getting it a home ASAP, a temporary rheostat or dimmer is better than nothing, those heating elements really desperately need to be controlled to some degree. Look on Craigslist, or see if there's cheap ones at a dollar store or Walmart/Target/etc. Just dial it down enough that it's one step below you being able to feel the heat (if you can feel the heat on your hands it's too hot).

Lumpiness doesn't necessarily mean he ate, considering the bruises it *could* be signs of internal damages. It is still possible he ate, but if he didn't regurgitate the meal on you I don't think it's likely. Snakes will often regurge if they're stressed, so they can be free to run away.
Old 07-19-17, 12:48 PM   #9
NewBoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
UV is not necessary for snakes (though it can be beneficial), especially not for an albino one.

As far as getting his wounds treated, best case scenario is you find a rescue or individual willing to take it in that can pay for the vet bills, even if it's out of state (assuming they and/or you are willing/able to meet halfway or something). It would be a shame to euthanize it if it could make it through this situation, though I know it is a bit of a rough situation just finding it in the wild and having it dumped on you like that.

I don't think I'd trust the snake to be shipped if it's covered in bruises, but that would be an option otherwise.

If you plan on getting it a home ASAP, a temporary rheostat or dimmer is better than nothing, those heating elements really desperately need to be controlled to some degree. Look on Craigslist, or see if there's cheap ones at a dollar store or Walmart/Target/etc. Just dial it down enough that it's one step below you being able to feel the heat (if you can feel the heat on your hands it's too hot).

Lumpiness doesn't necessarily mean he ate, considering the bruises it *could* be signs of internal damages. It is still possible he ate, but if he didn't regurgitate the meal on you I don't think it's likely. Snakes will often regurge if they're stressed, so they can be free to run away.
Thanks for all the help! I contacted a vet out of state and they said they would meet up with me. I found some time this morning before work to drop him off and he took him. Hopefully he'll be good now!
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, help me, sick