border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-22, 02:09 AM   #1
Eye

2y old Burmese Python feeding schedule

I got my Burmese python at about a year old, around 7 months ago. He was already about a year old, around 3ft long. I've had him for 7 months and he's grown to around 4.5 feet. He was eating large mice, 1 every two weeks. I've been feeding him now small rats. 1 every two weeks. I was under the impression this was sufficient, but after reading around and seeing other people's feeding schedules, it made me think maybe this isn't enough? The rats are fairly big, but perfect in size for the girth of the snake. I saw other people saying that their two year old python is like 7 foot though. Are they just more like power-feeding? Am I underfeeding? Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-30-22, 09:50 AM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: 2y old Burmese Python feeding schedule

Your snake is being underfed. A burmese python should reach over 5 feet in the first year.

If you're feeding appropriately sized rats then I would change it to weekly feedings instead of bi-weekly. If you want to feed larger rats, like a medium rat then I would goto 10 days between feeding.
Old 06-17-22, 12:00 AM   #3
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Your snake is being underfed. A burmese python should reach over 5 feet in the first year.

If you're feeding appropriately sized rats then I would change it to weekly feedings instead of bi-weekly. If you want to feed larger rats, like a medium rat then I would goto 10 days between feeding.

Hi, sorry I hadn't ever replied. Since this I've changed his schedule to weekly feedings. They rats I buy are labeled small but I think they're actually more medium. I feel stupid as hell, please I hope I didn't stunt him?! He already looks bigger, but technically he should reach still gonna grow to like 6-7 feet in the next couple months right? The size of the rats are 5-7 inches not including the tail.
Old 06-17-22, 01:42 AM   #4
Eye

Would it be okay to start feeding 2 small rats every week?
Old 06-19-22, 06:51 PM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Would it be okay to start feeding 2 small rats every week?
If they are more medium size then no I wouldn't. No point in trying to push it faster now. Just feed appropriately and it'll be okay in time.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
burmese, feeding, python, schedule, small rat