border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-17, 10:48 AM   #1
tshere

Question My family thinks I'm crazy!

So I just got interested in snakes about 2 years ago. I got my first ball python then and just recently got 2 kingsnakes. I get nothing but grief and negativity from all my family. Does anybody else have this issue and what do you tell them??
Login to remove ads
Old 12-29-17, 01:36 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: My family thinks I'm crazy!

I just ignore them and keep doing what I'm doing.
Old 12-31-17, 12:58 AM   #3
DJC Reptiles

So does mine. Most of my family is worried about my "inevitable" death from my Ball Python constricting around my neck. Just ignore them, keep doing what your doing.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 01-01-18, 06:09 PM   #4
Scubadiver59

At work...all the time. They think one of the snakes is going to get me while I’m sleeping. Not a chance. And I’m not dumb enough to put my largest snakes anywhere near my neck. I just tell them to get a life...and a snake or two!!
Old 01-03-18, 11:22 PM   #5
Cobra89

I haven't received a ton of negative feedback since I really started getting into the hobby, but I have been VERY surprised of what some people think about snakes. I never realized how terrified my friend is of snakes, I think he would have a heart attack if he were to come into physical contact with one..But he thinks they're slimy! Of all things! I never thought anyone actually thought that, and he's a quite well educated, successful individual. Some things that seemed like common sense to me about snakes were mind-blowing revelations for other people. Like people thinking a snake could just easily strangle you if it's around your neck, or worse, people who believe if a snake is around your neck, it's GOING to strangle you. Like the snake thinks "hey I'm around something guess I gotta constrict and try to eat it".

Nobody outside of the general hobby would have guessed most of these reptiles live 20+ years in captivity with proper care. Of course you all probably know the dreaded "they will only grow as large as their environment". Lots of people are amazed snakes can swim.
Old 01-04-18, 08:20 AM   #6
CameraSkunk

I just purchased my first snake this week after a month or so of research and educating myself. I have gotten a lot of "why would you even" sort of comments.

As to the comment Cobra89 made I can see why some might think they are slimy when they do appear to be very shiny which I guess some might think means they are slimy?

As for the "I'm just going to constrict" idea ... I'm finding through videos and just observing even my own snake over the last week that these animals are more intelligent then I first thought. They seem to recognize their owners after time and follow some interesting patterns that show distinct personalities. I guess its still important to remember to take some precautions and always accept that a bite could happen. You can take the animal out of the wild but not the wild out of the animal. Some I guess just can't see the grace in these animals that makes them amazing creatures to keep and observe.
Old 01-04-18, 10:38 AM   #7
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra89 View Post
But he thinks they're slimy! Of all things! I never thought anyone actually thought that....Like people thinking a snake could just easily strangle you if it's around your neck, or worse, people who believe if a snake is around your neck, it's GOING to strangle you. Like the snake thinks "hey I'm around something guess I gotta constrict and try to eat it".
Lol, I still can't get my Dad to know the difference between a reptile and an amphibian. To this day he still thinks alligators are amphibians because they live in water.
Old 01-04-18, 12:23 PM   #8
IDvsEGO

I have been surprised at some people's reactions. I didnt love snakes before my son got his first but I never disliked them. I find it funny how many people get the squirms when you mention snakes. I camp and hike a good bit. I dont know how you could spend time outdoors and not at least be OK with the thought of running across a snake.
Old 01-04-18, 01:30 PM   #9
Scubadiver59

Snakes are the least of their worries...just mention bears of cougars (USA) and see what they say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I have been surprised at some people's reactions. I didnt love snakes before my son got his first but I never disliked them. I find it funny how many people get the squirms when you mention snakes. I camp and hike a good bit. I dont know how you could spend time outdoors and not at least be OK with the thought of running across a snake.
Old 01-04-18, 01:45 PM   #10
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Snakes are the least of their worries...just mention bears of cougars (USA) and see what they say!
Lol, when I went backpacking in New Mexico, that is exactly what I told my Dad. Never mind the prairie rattlesnake I saw, but the cougar sightings in the camps the day before I got there.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-04-18, 02:12 PM   #11
CameraSkunk

HAHA, snakes are the least of your worries if you're out hiking. Legitimate snake bites tend to be from traveling off trail and not paying attention, putting your hand down in a spot the snake was in. In general they see us as big nasty creatures that will at worst be out for lunch, at best maybe squish them. Defense tactics initial is to stay still, then try to run, last is bite. Cougars and Bears know they can do us in with a swat of a rather large paw. Respect the snake, fear the cougars and bears :P.
Old 01-04-18, 03:04 PM   #12
Magdalen

Oh my family is crazy and I'm the only one with snakes... hmmm maybe that's their problem haha. I generally don't talk about my snakes with them. My mom was weird about my sand boa when I did live at home years ago. A sand boa you hardly see. My sister is weird about snakes but ok with lizards. Her son is an animal nut like me. Mostly they don't say anything.

I get from friends and random people oh it'll eat your cat! Uuuummm I'm not sure how my 2 foot about as thick around as a highlight snake is going to eat my cat.... I'd be pretty impressed if he did haha. I keep small snakes so I usually have to tell people that and tell them it'll be more like the cat will eat the snake, not the other way around. Oh and apparently every snake is able to eat a full grown man.
Old 01-04-18, 04:05 PM   #13
IDvsEGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
Lol, when I went backpacking in New Mexico, that is exactly what I told my Dad. Never mind the prairie rattlesnake I saw, but the cougar sightings in the camps the day before I got there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraSkunk View Post
HAHA, snakes are the least of your worries if you're out hiking. Legitimate snake bites tend to be from traveling off trail and not paying attention, putting your hand down in a spot the snake was in. In general they see us as big nasty creatures that will at worst be out for lunch, at best maybe squish them. Defense tactics initial is to stay still, then try to run, last is bite. Cougars and Bears know they can do us in with a swat of a rather large paw. Respect the snake, fear the cougars and bears :P.
I mean, if you are out there and you are scared of snakes, maybe you shouldn't be out there because they arent at the top of your list of worries. But legitimately, the bears will leave you alone for the most part as well. The one time I ran across one he was maybe 400 yards away. Looked at me, then walked off. I wasn't a threat and there is far easier food available. Even in a campsite, they would rather have my peanut butter than chew on my leg. Not saying they are harmless or anything. To be respected and avoided for sure.

Cougars...if you see it you are probably already in trouble.

I am more worried about scorpions and ticks on a trail than a snake. Like you guys said, if you let it, a snake will go away. I have found scorpions in pants that were left out. Also why I now have a dirty sack that all clothes go in when camping and I keep my clean clothes packed and zipped up.
Old 01-04-18, 07:10 PM   #14
StevenL

Advantage of owning snakes for decades and being 56 years old my give a crap meter doesn't register anymore on peoples negativity about any snake. My attempts to educate people over the years were thwarted by the internet. You know the pictures, 75 foot snake eating an elephant while holding a school bus hostage until someone provides the snake with a tootbpick. If it's on the internet it has to be true...smh.
Old 01-04-18, 07:36 PM   #15
CameraSkunk

StevenL it does seem when that meter is finally done working things get so much easier. I'd bet many people have interest that others wouldn't like, agree with, understand. Some are just more willing to be open about it and give people the opportunity to see something that could actually be very cool.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
family, grief, negativity