sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-17, 07:59 PM   #1
ZigmaS

Question Help identifying a snake.

Hi!
I'm totally new to the forum and the snakes community in general. But I love them!

I'm an artist/sculptor based in Barcelona/Spain and right now I'm working on a new project that contains a full size snake on it. I've been searching for image references on species that I like morphologically speaking. I've come across a lot of beautiful species, like the Atheris hispida that has a really interesting scale structure, or the Atheris chlorechis that has a head/body proportion that I really like. But any of this species has a body mass, head shape, scale texture that totally fits into the sculpture that I'm doing. Until I found this picture. This snake has the perfect head shape, body mass that I need! But the species of the snake on the pic is nowhere to be found, I've crawled the web trying to find the original post of the pic to get it in context, I've even tried looking to a lot of especies and comparing the head shape to find the right one and get more details/references on it to work... With no luck at all.

Can anyone identify it by the picture?
I really hope someone can! I really want to be faithful to the snake nature.

Thank you all very much in advance!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-20-17, 07:14 PM   #2
REM955

Re: Help identifying a snake.

My guess is a black morph (coloring) of a boa constrictor.
I am not too familiar with them, but I was able to find a number of similar snakes similar under the google search "boa constrictor black".
Old 08-20-17, 10:07 PM   #3
SerpentineDream

It looks like a Black Devil, Eclipse or Midnight Gin morph of boa constrictor to me.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 08-21-17, 12:45 AM   #4
richardhind

I think it could be a midnight gin as I've seen the black devil in person as my img is from the same litter, he has a few white lines on him at the mo
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Old 08-21-17, 01:21 AM   #5
SerpentineDream

Here are some photos from VPI, the original breeders of the Midnight Gin morph. I love the copper eyes and iridescence.

0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
help identify, identification, species