border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-17, 07:24 PM   #1
Cricket1234

Possible Brain Issues w/ Milk Snake?

Ah yes, another post from my over-worried self. Here goes nothing!
So my young Pueblan has been feeding good, and I have had no issues so far. (Which I am VERY thankful for) But my milk Snake has always had trouble feeding on his mice. Ever since his first feeding, he has been miss-striking at his food. It normally takes him up to 5 strikes to grab onto his mouse, and often he will make contact with the mouse but quickly draw back. Today was an exceptional day, with him at least striking 20 times at the prey item, and let go of it once or twice as well. I am pretty sure this is because he is going into shed, and he still has his blue eyes, which clouds up his vision. (Correct me if I am wrong) But I am almost positive that this behavior is not normal, and could indicate something mentally wrong or something wrong with his vision. What are your guys opinions? I do not really observe any other symptoms than that though. What are your guys opinions on the matter? Thanks and have an awesome day!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-02-17, 07:26 PM   #2
Cricket1234

Re: Possible Brain Issues w/ Milk Snake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket1234 View Post
Ah yes, another post from my over-worried self. Here goes nothing!
So my young Pueblan has been feeding good, and I have had no issues so far. (Which I am VERY thankful for) But my milk Snake has always had trouble feeding on his mice. Ever since his first feeding, he has been miss-striking at his food. It normally takes him up to 5 strikes to grab onto his mouse, and often he will make contact with the mouse but quickly draw back. Today was an exceptional day, with him at least striking 20 times at the prey item, and let go of it once or twice as well. I am pretty sure this is because he is going into shed, and he still has his blue eyes, which clouds up his vision. (Correct me if I am wrong) But I am almost positive that this behavior is not normal, and could indicate something mentally wrong or something wrong with his vision. What are your guys opinions? I do not really observe any other symptoms than that though. What are your guys opinions on the matter? Thanks and have an awesome day!
And when I said exceptional, I meant it negatively. That is bad even for him.
Old 03-02-17, 10:28 PM   #3
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

A few of my snakes have failed learning how to snake. I have boas and pythons, and they do the same thing. One even went as far as striking the side of the feeding tub. She didn't hurt herself, but it was disconcerting to say the least. And I have another that can't quite figure out how to eat the rat; we sometimes have to re-position it for her.

If your snake is still young, they may still be learning how to feed. You'd be surprised at what they aren't capable of in captivity. If there's no other symptoms, like head tremors or other obvious neuro signs, I'd chop it up to being a young snake, and will only gain experience over time.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 03-03-17, 02:19 PM   #4
TRD

Don't worry Young milk has a lot to learn. I sometimes wonder how they even manage to feed in the wild, or maybe it's no wonder they are cold blooded, maybe its an evolution grown out of the inability to properly feed themselves =)
Old 03-03-17, 03:51 PM   #5
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
Don't worry Young milk has a lot to learn. I sometimes wonder how they even manage to feed in the wild, or maybe it's no wonder they are cold blooded, maybe its an evolution grown out of the inability to properly feed themselves =)
Lol. I remember seeing a post saying that "snakes aren't pets and should be free in the wild" on yahoo. I would love to show them my snake just to show that he would have no chance in the wild
Login to remove ads
Old 03-03-17, 04:44 PM   #6
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket1234 View Post
Lol. I remember seeing a post saying that "snakes aren't pets and should be free in the wild" on yahoo. I would love to show them my snake just to show that he would have no chance in the wild
There's a reason why wild bred snakes have such large clutches. It gives their blood line a chance at survival, because most of them don't make it past the first month. Between congenital issues, feeding issues, being prey to other animals, feeding off of each other, etc.... They have more opportunities to die in the wild than when captive bred. In fact, there are some species of snakes that are protected and/or endangered that don't have captive bred counterparts. some of this is caused by human invasion of their ecosystems. Captivity ensures a species continued survival. Yes, sometimes I feel that breeders are playing g*d in a sense. But when you look at these conservation programs around the world, you can see that we're just ensuring the survival of our planet earth. Pretty morphs are great, but what about a snake, on the protected list, having a clutch of 5-6 babies, all make it, and be shipped out to research facilities or educational zoos to help propagate that species?

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 03-03-17, 05:25 PM   #7
Scubadiver59

Well, there are various circles that feel that some humans need to be bred out of the system to ensure our survival. But for some reason, it hasn't captured much attention lately...

Save the Snakes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyGbeetle View Post
There's a reason why wild bred snakes have such large clutches. It gives their blood line a chance at survival, because most of them don't make it past the first month. Between congenital issues, feeding issues, being prey to other animals, feeding off of each other, etc.... They have more opportunities to die in the wild than when captive bred. In fact, there are some species of snakes that are protected and/or endangered that don't have captive bred counterparts. some of this is caused by human invasion of their ecosystems. Captivity ensures a species continued survival. Yes, sometimes I feel that breeders are playing g*d in a sense. But when you look at these conservation programs around the world, you can see that we're just ensuring the survival of our planet earth. Pretty morphs are great, but what about a snake, on the protected list, having a clutch of 5-6 babies, all make it, and be shipped out to research facilities or educational zoos to help propagate that species?
Closed Thread