border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-16, 08:22 AM   #1
Albert Clark

2016 Albino Checkered..

I went into my gravid albino checkered garter tub and found her actively in labor with about 25 hatchlings already delivered. Closed the tub back up and came back 30 minutes later to 36 albino checkered total count. Three super albino checkered included. You can see one of the supers at 8:00 in the first pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3214.jpg (21.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3213.jpg (21.6 KB, 68 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 04-12-16, 09:30 AM   #2
Albert Clark

Re: 2016 Albino Checkered..

The little guy in the middle was stuck in his amniotic membrane and almost didn't make it until i moved him to a different tub. In the birthing tub he was under the carefresh litter and seemed to be having a hard time breaking through the membrane. You can see in the pic that he is on his way out. He is a bit smaller than his littermates.
Old 04-12-16, 11:20 AM   #3
Sylphie

Wow, congatulations! They looks sooo cute, and I'm glad that the smaller guy did make it
Old 04-12-16, 11:52 AM   #4
Tiny Boidae

Oh they are just precious. You'll have to keep us up to date on them!

But 36 babies sounds like a large clutch... Were there any slugs?
Old 04-12-16, 01:24 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

That's awesome AL! Another job well done.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 04-12-16, 01:44 PM   #6
Kokorobosoi

Wahoooo!!!! They are sooo cute!!!! Well done!
Old 04-12-16, 03:32 PM   #7
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
Wow, congatulations! They looks sooo cute, and I'm glad that the smaller guy did make it
Thank you Sylph. He would not have made it if I didn't look close enough to pick him out of the litter. I then lifted him up and looked closer and he wasn't moving. I then put him in the new tub and saw movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Boidae View Post
Oh they are just precious. You'll have to keep us up to date on them!

But 36 babies sounds like a large clutch... Were there any slugs?
Thanks TB! I will. No slugs , no deaths, and no deformities! The mother is a monster garter and had 24 babies two years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
That's awesome AL! Another job well done.
Thanks EL! I been checking her tub every day for the past week. She just blew up so much over the past 3 weeks looking like,she was going to explode! Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
Wahoooo!!!! They are sooo cute!!!! Well done!
Hey, thanks Koko! I can't believe these supers. I will be holding back a pair for my albino granite checkered project. Still waiting to hear from Steven Bol about the blue puget. I did take your advice. Haha.
Old 04-12-16, 03:42 PM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

Gorgeous babies, and quite the litter! Hopefully that other females drops you some visual granites. :P
Old 04-12-16, 03:51 PM   #9
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Gorgeous babies, and quite the litter! Hopefully that other females drops you some visual granites. :P
Thanks bsg, just what I am hoping for. She should drop soon too. You will be the first to know. I got a feeling she will come through. Haha.
Old 04-12-16, 05:31 PM   #10
SWDK

Very nice looking clutch you've got there. Just a quick question though. What makes a super albino vs a normal albino. I see it looks much lighter, but I don't know much about them so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Login to remove ads
Old 04-12-16, 05:45 PM   #11
Kokorobosoi

I'm glad you took that advice!! I can't wait to see what comes out of it!!

Very nice clutch!!
Old 04-12-16, 09:02 PM   #12
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDK View Post
Very nice looking clutch you've got there. Just a quick question though. What makes a super albino vs a normal albino. I see it looks much lighter, but I don't know much about them so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks
Thank you SW! This is not ignorance really and no need to be excused. Very good question that deserves a good answer. Albino being a recessive trait when bred to another recessive that has the same homozygous (visual) form will produce that trait visually. Or that recessive trait will be expressed. In some of the offspring there will be a higher blushing in the coloration and or patterning. This will make the animal look lighter and sometimes the markings however reduced can appear more vivid in places on the animal.
Old 04-12-16, 09:20 PM   #13
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
I'm glad you took that advice!! I can't wait to see what comes out of it!!

Very nice clutch!!
Well, up until today it's been three weeks and I haven't heard from him one way or the other. I plan to keep trying however. I do have a plan B btw. Thanks for the compliment!
Old 04-12-16, 11:32 PM   #14
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Thank you SW! This is not ignorance really and no need to be excused. Very good question that deserves a good answer. Albino being a recessive trait when bred to another recessive that has the same homozygous (visual) form will produce that trait visually. Or that recessive trait will be expressed. In some of the offspring there will be a higher blushing in the coloration and or patterning. This will make the animal look lighter and sometimes the markings however reduced can appear more vivid in places on the animal.
Sorry SW , I got this explanation wrong about the super form as it relates to these garters. It's the codominant gene not the recessive that will get you to the super form when bred to the same. So with garters it would be the pastel to pastel gene giving the " super pastel" which can look like a brighter version almost yellowish/ white colored snake that looks different from the parent pastel form. None of these pictured checkereds is really a super. There is a color mutation at play with the lighter albinos but not the super at all. No codom in these guys , only recessive X recessive. Hope that makes it a little clearer.
Old 04-13-16, 12:09 AM   #15
RAD House

It is no surprise that people get confused by terms like super because they are only industry terms. Technically a super is a homozygous form of a incomplete dominant genetic trait just as a visual is a homozygous form of a recessive trait. So in a way you are not that far off Albert.
Closed Thread