border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-15, 01:31 AM   #1
bigsnakegirl785

Demigod

The long-awaited arrival of Demigod has come! And no, this is not some prophecy I am warning you of, this is merely a young eastern garter (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis) that I have been waiting to receive since mid-2013. I asked his previous owner if she would grow him up until he was large enough to eat whole pinkies, so she wasn't able to ship him until last summer. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to ship him before the weather got cold last summer, so we waited until this spring. So here he is!

I went ahead and offered him a mouse pink a few hours after he got here, and he took it with no hesitation. He's been exploring since he arrived here yesterday at 11am, and didn't stop even after he ate. He's been resting off an on, but comes out to check what's going on if he detects movement. His previous owner said he recently developed a biting habit, and I did get chewed on getting these pictures, but he didn't even scratch the skin and gave up fairly quickly.

Old 04-10-15, 05:50 AM   #2
drumcrush

Re: Demigod

Sweet addition! I love easterns, see them alllll the time here.
Old 04-10-15, 02:07 PM   #3
reptiledude987

Havent seen one of them in a while. I used to catch them all the time as a kid.
Old 04-10-15, 10:51 PM   #4
bigsnakegirl785

Yeah he's got some really nice coloring, the crazy thing is quite the biter though. haha He'll chase down my hands and nip me several times while I clean up his poop or go to get his water dish, and tries his best to mimic a cobra sans hood. >.> First garter I've met that actually bites, but he'll probably end up growing out of it. Idk why he randomly picked it up while with his old owner, though.
Old 04-11-15, 10:02 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Nice looking garter bsg.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 04-12-15, 12:31 AM   #6
bigsnakegirl785

Thanks! He's definitely lovely, I like the blue he's got between his skin and the yellow tinge he's got. He's also got pinkish-brown sides about halfway down his body.
Old 04-12-15, 10:01 AM   #7
sharthun

Congrats! Beautiful garter.

Steve
Old 04-13-15, 07:22 PM   #8
Albert Clark

Good looking specimen. No quarantine period?
Old 04-13-15, 10:06 PM   #9
bigsnakegirl785

Yes, there's a quarantine period, as much as one can be obtained within the same household though. Both the new arrivals get their own utensils (weighing containers, tongs, etc.), they are kept away from the others, and are handled last, or if handled first I do not handle any of my established animals until I shower. I would have them at someone else's house like I did when I lived with my father (I kept them at my mom's until their quarantine was up), but I live with my mom now and don't trust my father and no one else is comfortable having two snakes in their home for 3-6 months. What made you think there wasn't a quarantine period?
Old 04-14-15, 02:46 PM   #10
Albert Clark

Talking Re: Demigod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Yes, there's a quarantine period, as much as one can be obtained within the same household though. Both the new arrivals get their own utensils (weighing containers, tongs, etc.), they are kept away from the others, and are handled last, or if handled first I do not handle any of my established animals until I shower. I would have them at someone else's house like I did when I lived with my father (I kept them at my mom's until their quarantine was up), but I live with my mom now and don't trust my father and no one else is comfortable having two snakes in their home for 3-6 months. What made you think there wasn't a quarantine period?
Well, the reason I posed the question about lack of quarantine is bc you fed him hours after receiving him from the shipper. I thought that was a little atypical for new additions. Okay, got it!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-14-15, 05:56 PM   #11
bigsnakegirl785

Yeah, I usually offer food a few hours after my new arrivals come home. If they eat then they eat, if they don't then I offer again the next week. The only reason people tend to wait is to allow them to settle in and start eating, but if they're willing to eat when they first get here then there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 04-15-15, 08:25 AM   #12
bigsnakegirl785

He's now housed in the 5 gallon tank that I started Draco out in.

Old 05-18-15, 05:41 PM   #13
bigsnakegirl785

Well he now weighs 20 grams, and other than the first feeding, he's been receiving 2 pinks a week like Draco.

Here are some photos from last Friday, he had some fun just threading through my fingers.

Old 05-19-15, 12:37 AM   #14
RAD House

I am curious as to why you waited so long to have him shipped to you? He is a cool looking snake. Did you name him after the Behemoth album?
Old 05-19-15, 01:25 AM   #15
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
I am curious as to why you waited so long to have him shipped to you? He is a cool looking snake. Did you name him after the Behemoth album?
His previous owner was growing him up for me until he could take whole pinks, because baby garters are really tiny (I'd like to avoid having another baby if I get another one - they're just too tiny). She wasn't able to ship him before the weather got cold last year, so she shipped him out once the the weather warmed back up.

I didn't name him, his previous owner did, I just kept his name because I saw no reason to change it. I'm not sure why she named him Demigod.
Closed Thread