border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-15, 01:32 PM   #1
Obsidian_Dragon

Checkered Garter Picspam

I show off Noodle here all the time, but not Dart! Time for some garter love, even if he doesn't love me.

And back when I first got him and we was wee tiny:
Login to remove ads
Old 02-18-15, 02:45 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Checkered Garter Picspam

I have thought of getting a checkered since the kind I really want is out of my price range lol

Funny though, I see the albinos everywhere and not many normals, and I prefer the normals!

Beautiful snake OB =)

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 02-18-15, 02:50 PM   #3
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Very handsome garter OD. Nice pics too.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 02-18-15, 07:46 PM   #4
sharthun

Great looking garter!

Steve
Old 02-18-15, 08:21 PM   #5
Derek1

That's a great looking Garter! I can always count on mines activity except when he's blue. What is your diet? I'm switching from f/t pinky parts and f/t silversides.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-19-15, 10:28 AM   #6
drumcrush

OD we should make a garter thread, like the kings of the forum thread
Old 02-19-15, 11:45 AM   #7
Boots
Forum Moderator

Love the garters. My first garter was a checkered over 20 years ago now. I was always amazed at how active he was. Seems your is just about as active. Thanks for posting. He looks great.

Jason
Old 02-19-15, 12:36 PM   #8
Snakess2014

Hi,

Awesome looking checkered garter snake. Just curious what the picture with the butter container with what looks like to be a moss/mulch is for? I remember a garter snake was one of the first snakes i caught when i was 7-8 years old.
Old 02-19-15, 03:05 PM   #9
Obsidian_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakess2014 View Post
Hi,

Awesome looking checkered garter snake. Just curious what the picture with the butter container with what looks like to be a moss/mulch is for? I remember a garter snake was one of the first snakes i caught when i was 7-8 years old.
It's a humid hide! The humidity drops really low in my house in the winter, and it is much easier to provide a humid hide than it is to try to keep the entire enclosure where I want it. Dart only seems to use it when he's blue, but my kingsnake also has one and he LOVES it in there.

Drumcrush, we could! Dart is definitely the most photogenic of my snakes. (Sorry, Noodle.) There's got to be a few more garter peple lurking here as well as thamnophis.

Derek1, he's came to me eating pinky parts and is now on whole pinks. I've been pretty lazy and just keep him on that--I can't find frozen silversides locally. O.o

Minkness, he's a het pastel, but he'll look normal when he's all grown up! Pastel is odd, it shows up when they're babies (they're a brighter yellow then their normal siblings) but they all green up in to the normal olive as they age. Super pastels are bright yellow though, it's neat. If I ever find a super lady friend for him, I might try to wheedle my husband into letting me breed them. I really want neon California red sideds but haaaaa. Ha. So much more money. O.o

The only downside to this handsome snake is that HE WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. I'm a scary, horrible monster. He's still a delight, though, I love catching him out and about. There's a definite bonus to diurnal snakes!
Old 02-19-15, 03:46 PM   #10
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

what a lill cutie
Old 02-23-15, 12:12 AM   #11
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcrush View Post
OD we should make a garter thread, like the kings of the forum thread
We should! lol Maybe more people would post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian_Dragon View Post
It's a humid hide! The humidity drops really low in my house in the winter, and it is much easier to provide a humid hide than it is to try to keep the entire enclosure where I want it. Dart only seems to use it when he's blue, but my kingsnake also has one and he LOVES it in there.

Drumcrush, we could! Dart is definitely the most photogenic of my snakes. (Sorry, Noodle.) There's got to be a few more garter peple lurking here as well as thamnophis.

Derek1, he's came to me eating pinky parts and is now on whole pinks. I've been pretty lazy and just keep him on that--I can't find frozen silversides locally. O.o

Minkness, he's a het pastel, but he'll look normal when he's all grown up! Pastel is odd, it shows up when they're babies (they're a brighter yellow then their normal siblings) but they all green up in to the normal olive as they age. Super pastels are bright yellow though, it's neat. If I ever find a super lady friend for him, I might try to wheedle my husband into letting me breed them. I really want neon California red sideds but haaaaa. Ha. So much more money. O.o

The only downside to this handsome snake is that HE WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. I'm a scary, horrible monster. He's still a delight, though, I love catching him out and about. There's a definite bonus to diurnal snakes!
Mine's still scared to death of me. lol Had the most interesting weight measurement by far the other day. He managed to jump out of his tank onto the floor, first time he's ever done that. But he couldn't get a grip on the slick hardwood floor and I easily caught him. :P Then he jumped the 3-4' off of Cloud's enclosure and I managed to catch him before he hit the floor. The little guy is going to give me a heart attack. Maybe I should suck it up and handle him more? >.> I haven't been wanting to stress him out lately, but he's becoming so unruly. -.-
Old 02-23-15, 12:47 PM   #12
Obsidian_Dragon

I need to find something different to measure the snakes in, because Dart is not super cooperative about going in the cup! But it has to be something with a lid or MAGICAL TELEPORTING SNAKE.

I was handling Dart once or twice a week--I might resume that. I'm...not sure it helps. I'm sort of hoping that when he attains adult size he might chill? Vague hopes and all that.

Although your Draco is older than my Dart, I think, so I'm not sure how much hope I really have. >.>
Old 02-23-15, 02:00 PM   #13
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian_Dragon View Post
I need to find something different to measure the snakes in, because Dart is not super cooperative about going in the cup! But it has to be something with a lid or MAGICAL TELEPORTING SNAKE.

I was handling Dart once or twice a week--I might resume that. I'm...not sure it helps. I'm sort of hoping that when he attains adult size he might chill? Vague hopes and all that.

Although your Draco is older than my Dart, I think, so I'm not sure how much hope I really have. >.>
Same with mine. haha Sometimes he'll cooperate and sit in the dish I have, but like that one day, sometimes he tries to escape. So I just plopped him into a tiny corned beef jar and put the lid on it and he calmed down. lol

I was handling him maybe once every other week, but I may start handling him twice a week, because I have noticed an increase in spazzy behavior since I started only handling him to weigh him. :/

He actually was really well-behaved at one point, as much as a garter, or at least a male garter, can be. He'd slightly freak out when I went to grab him, but calmed down once I got him out. I'll see if he calms down after a few months of handling him regularly.