border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-14, 08:04 PM   #1
Derek1

Best way to: Switching to Pinkies

Able to get a good deal on a Cali Red. Feeding on Guppies and Rosy Reds. What is the best way to switch to pinkies or pinkie parts? Much easier for me to buy pinkies than fish.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-03-14, 08:39 PM   #2
SSSSnakes

Re: Best way to: Switching to Pinkies

If you can't get them to switch, you can feed them cut up strips of silver side fish, trout or salmon.
Old 10-03-14, 08:53 PM   #3
drumcrush

I fed my garter night crawlers(dusted with calcium every other feed) and I had problems getting switched over. I began braiding the pinkies, and slowly she started to accept them. Now she eats mice like crazy! It's funny during feeding days because I normally catch her while she is burrowing and when I hold the mouse over the aspen, she shoots out of the aspen and latches on to it lol
Old 10-03-14, 09:05 PM   #4
wrecker45

I have my female on whole pinkies. My male on half pinkies. I cut it from head to butt still frozen with a utility knife. All my garters where easy to switch over.
1.Corn snake. 1.Mexican milk snake. 2.California king snakes. 2. Western hognose snakes. 1. Pastel checker garter. 1. Checker garter. 1.Columbian red tail boa. 1. Ball python. 1. Smooth green snake. 1. Five lined skink. 1. Grey tree frog. 1. Chinese water dragon. 3 Bearded Dragons. 2 Leapard Geckos. 1. Black cat. and Lucy my border collie/lab.
Old 10-06-14, 08:47 AM   #5
Obsidian_Dragon

I took the easy way out and got a CB garter from a breeder already on pinkie halves, so I'm afraid I'm not much help except as a cheering section!

Try scenting the pinkie parts, as others mentioned, and go from there. If it'll also take night crawlers, you can try mixing pinkie parts in with the crawler pieces and see if it'll just gobble them up without noticing.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-06-14, 10:47 AM   #6
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Have you tried offering yet? I would see if they'll take it to start with and then try the other suggestions.
Old 10-07-14, 02:02 AM   #7
toddnbecka

I can hook you up with some endler's livebearers, essentially guppies but they don't eat their own fry. I've had hundreds of them in a 30 gallon tank, and they just keep making more babies. Toss netfuls into other tanks occasionally just to thin them out.
Old 11-06-14, 08:48 PM   #8
Derek1

Actually it's a Plains Garter with a lot of Red as a Juvi. Switching was easy. Just offered cut pinkie as his only meal and he accepted it no problem. Very aggressive eater. Even more than my King. Cool little fella.
Old 11-06-14, 11:52 PM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Ferocious little beasts they are.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 11-07-14, 12:45 PM   #10
Obsidian_Dragon

Good to hear!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-13-14, 08:08 PM   #11
Derek1

I'm going with a varied diet with him. The 3 most popular. Worm, Pinkie Parts, and Silversides. I've got to get SS from Petsmart and have never attempted to feed those yet. But he'll eat anything. Fed him a fat cut worm tonight and he loved it after being on pinkies the last 2-3 feedings. I'll get some pics when he comes back out.
Old 11-18-14, 08:19 PM   #12
Derek1

I got him full last night. Really small pinkie and warm. Nice lump and he hasn't moved much at all.

Old 11-18-14, 09:00 PM   #13
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Congrats on the feeding progress Derek. That's a really nice looking garter you've got there.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Closed Thread