border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-16, 06:10 AM   #16
Sylphie

Re: New, checkered baby

Oficially my first time was with our small checkered! I went to clean his cage, and well, he don't like handling at all. The funny thing is that he was chewing like a hognose, not the typical "bite and then run" defence. I let him chew for a moment until my man was able to help me get him off gently, and well, I needed to take a pic, right?

Old 01-18-16, 07:29 AM   #17
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

He was chewing because he's a rear fanged snake just like Hoggies. Wouldn't surprise if the little bite itched like crazy and swelled a bit lol.

I find it so funny when tiny snakes act so dangerous! My little sand boas are really funny about that XD

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 01-18-16, 07:46 AM   #18
Sylphie

Hahaha, yeah, they are sooo cute then! And I was lucky then, it only itched for a few minutes, then nothing
Old 01-18-16, 07:52 AM   #19
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

That's good. =)

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 01-19-16, 01:04 AM   #20
toddnbecka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
He was chewing because he's a rear fanged snake just like Hoggies. Wouldn't surprise if the little bite itched like crazy and swelled a bit lol.

I find it so funny when tiny snakes act so dangerous! My little sand boas are really funny about that XD
Garter snakes aren't rear fanged, no venom of any kind. Babies typically live on earthworms for their first year, larger ones eat mainly frogs and such.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-19-16, 04:57 AM   #21
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
Garter snakes aren't rear fanged, no venom of any kind. Babies typically live on earthworms for their first year, larger ones eat mainly frogs and such.
Actually, garter snakes do have enlarged rear teeth and are considered mildly venomous! The mild venom comes from a gland known as the Duvernoys gland and is used to subdue and neutralize struggling prey. People can have allergic reactions to the venom. The allergic reactions can vary in severity. It's found in most colubrids that are not constrictors including hog nose snakes.
Old 01-19-16, 09:54 AM   #22
prairiepanda

(Not my photo)

Garters have a very mild neurotoxin in their saliva which comes from the Duvernoys gland Albert mentioned. Not everyone considers them to be rear-fanged(it depends on the individual's definition of fangs; they sure look like fangs to me!) but regardless they are technically venomous.

Wouldn't expect anything serious from a bite, though. I definitely wouldn't classify garters as dangerous in any way; which is why I sometimes lie when people ask me if garters are venomous...depends on who's asking. They're harmless snakes and already subject to enough pointless killing.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 01-19-16, 10:03 AM   #23
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepanda View Post
Wouldn't expect anything serious from a bite, though. I definitely wouldn't classify garters as dangerous in any way;
Yeah, that's why we're having one I like the hoggies too, but allegric reactions to their bites are more often, and as I'm alergic to a few things I wouldn't want to risk it (and there is their going off feed thing too, haha!). It was just cute when he was soo passionate about chewing my finger, haha!
Old 01-20-16, 12:33 AM   #24
toddnbecka

Wow, I never heard that about garters before. Apparently neither has the State of Maryland, or they'd be illegal to keep along with other venomous species, lol. I've been bitten a few times, even chewed on a bit, but never had any reaction to them. Is there any difference in the venom's potency between different species of garters?
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 01-20-16, 08:42 AM   #25
prairiepanda

Garter snake neurotoxin is so mild and dilute that it wouldn't make sense to call it venomous in the eyes of the law. If they wanted to include garters on their list of venomous species, they would also have to include bees and common garden spiders. Hognose snakes have a more potent bite so they're sometimes restricted because of that, but a garter snake wouldn't give you the balloon-hand photos that a hognose could give you. The only regulations I've seen against keeping garters as pets are just intended to preserve wild populations rather than to protect people from them. There is a difference in potency between species, but none of them pose a threat to humans, or even to cats and dogs which is often a concern.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Login to remove ads
Old 01-20-16, 01:13 PM   #26
Albert Clark

The garter snake venom is classified as a "mild neurotoxic venom" in most of the literature. However it doesn't pose a threat to humans outside of a localized irritation and swelling for most. There are reported allergic reactions to the venom in some individuals. In those cases the severity of the reaction needs to be evaluated quickly and the appropriate treatments immediately instituted. I'm sure the state of Maryland wildlife officials and the zoo is aware of the "mild neurotoxic venom" of garter snakes. Also their having and possessing "enlarged rear teeth".

Last edited by Albert Clark; 01-20-16 at 01:19 PM..
Old 01-20-16, 01:22 PM   #27
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepanda View Post
Garter snake neurotoxin is so mild and dilute that it wouldn't make sense to call it venomous in the eyes of the law. If they wanted to include garters on their list of venomous species, they would also have to include bees and common garden spiders. Hognose snakes have a more potent bite so they're sometimes restricted because of that, but a garter snake wouldn't give you the balloon-hand photos that a hognose could give you. The only regulations I've seen against keeping garters as pets are just intended to preserve wild populations rather than to protect people from them. There is a difference in potency between species, but none of them pose a threat to humans, or even to cats and dogs which is often a concern.
Great explanation prarie! Fantastic picture as well. Garters Rule, who needs a viper? LoL.
Closed Thread