border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-18, 08:04 AM   #1
Kellykristina

Smile Looking to purchase garter snakes

Hell All! I'm new to the forum and I'm specifically looking for garter snake to purchase.
Any advice is much appreciated!!
Login to remove ads
Old 09-07-18, 10:26 AM   #2
DJC Reptiles

Re: Looking to purchase garter snakes

Bhb has albino checkered garter snakes for 200, look pretty awesome.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 09-07-18, 02:10 PM   #3
Jim Smith

Depending on which state you live in, it may not be legal for you to own/keep Garter snakes if they are native to that state. I strongly suggest that you check with your local Fish and Game department to see if there are any restrictions on keep different species of snakes.
Old 09-07-18, 03:39 PM   #4
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
Depending on which state you live in, it may not be legal for you to own/keep Garter snakes if they are native to that state. I strongly suggest that you check with your local Fish and Game department to see if there are any restrictions on keep different species of snakes.
I don’t believe there are such states, for garter snakes that is. I know there is a limit though. I could be wrong. Most states also have a online website that allows you to check what you can and can’t keep as pets.
Old 09-07-18, 08:52 PM   #5
Jim Smith

Actually if you check the laws of Georgia, you'll find that it is illegal to keep any snakes that are native to the state. In fact they go so far as to classify all Lampropeltis triangulum together so it is actually illegal to possess Honduran Milk Snakes in Georgia.
Old 09-08-18, 03:06 AM   #6
ClockwerkBonnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
Actually if you check the laws of Georgia, you'll find that it is illegal to keep any snakes that are native to the state. In fact they go so far as to classify all Lampropeltis triangulum together so it is actually illegal to possess Honduran Milk Snakes in Georgia.
Man, I may not live in Georgia, but I find that totally insane.
Old 09-08-18, 07:24 AM   #7
craigafrechette

You can check:
Morphmarket.com
Kingsnake.com

Those will get you started.

And yes, check your local laws to make sure they're legal in your area. Many states don't allow species that are indigenous to that are to be kept as pets.
Old 09-08-18, 10:12 AM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
I don’t believe there are such states, for garter snakes that is. I know there is a limit though. I could be wrong. Most states also have a online website that allows you to check what you can and can’t keep as pets.
Some states ban local species, not just Georgia. T. s. tetraenia is an endangered species that you cannot own in the US at all iirc. There are all kinds of rules around native species in various states.

As far as the albino checkered...are those adults? I bought my baby for $30 from them 5 years ago. I didn't think adults would be so much more expensive.

As a side note, I don't advise buying from BHB for a myriad of reasons.

In addition to what craigafrechette mentioned, there are colubrid and garter snake groups on FB. You can't sell in the groups, but you can certainly get in touch with breeders.
Old 09-08-18, 06:32 PM   #9
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Some states ban local species, not just Georgia. T. s. tetraenia is an endangered species that you cannot own in the US at all iirc. There are all kinds of rules around native species in various states.

As far as the albino checkered...are those adults? I bought my baby for $30 from them 5 years ago. I didn't think adults would be so much more expensive.
Hmm... I didn’t know that, interesting. No those garter snakes aren’t adults, but I do agree they are expensive. I also am not too big a fan of BHB (because of Brian’s blogs, I find the clipart to be very annoying. And because some of the animals need bigger spaces), but the animals they sell, seem to all be in good health.
Old 09-09-18, 04:55 AM   #10
craigafrechette

I personally wouldn't buy from BHB either.
I think Brian has done some great things in the industry and snake bytes has brought our hobby to a much wider audience. However, he is the KING of click bait and I don't condone intentionally being tagged by the animals, and they do that all the time. It's just poor practice and is in no way good for the snakes
Login to remove ads
Old 09-09-18, 01:14 PM   #11
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
Hmm... I didn’t know that, interesting. No those garter snakes aren’t adults, but I do agree they are expensive. I also am not too big a fan of BHB (because of Brian’s blogs, I find the clipart to be very annoying. And because some of the animals need bigger spaces), but the animals they sell, seem to all be in good health.
I think I saw that they had albino granite checkereds for sale. Is that perhaps what you're thinking of? The granite would definitely drive up the price from the original albino, not many people are making albino granites.

Their animals are in overall good health, mainly just because they produce so many, but many people receive snakes infested with mites, he was pretty shady with the scaleless bps (which I believe all are dead now), several of his giants have died from untreated RIs, he tried to sell absolutely filthy rack systems on the side of the road, etc. etc.

He feeds his garters canned tuna, like for people's consumption. Which isn't healthy. My guy came in with a rather large, hard blockage, but he was able to pass it without any obvious trouble after about a week or two and a meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
I personally wouldn't buy from BHB either.
I think Brian has done some great things in the industry and snake bytes has brought our hobby to a much wider audience. However, he is the KING of click bait and I don't condone intentionally being tagged by the animals, and they do that all the time. It's just poor practice and is in no way good for the snakes
There's definitely things a lot worse than that he's done. I don't mind the biting part so much, but when it becomes "man look at this snake being snappy for no reason isn't this cool????" while multiple people actively poke and prod the snake and dance around it...that's when it gets a little obnoxious.

Tags
garter snake breeder