sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-17, 09:13 AM   #16
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: Does it hurt to get bitten by a californian kings snake

I've only had 1 adult snake get me, and it was an 8 foot carpet python that I had tap trained with a hook. I forgot to tap it and went in to change the water bowl. It ended up biting me on the wrist, immediately recognized that I wasn't food and tried to let go, but it's teeth got snagged in there so it took a few seconds to get it off. It was painful and it bled a LOT and bruised up substantially, but this was only because it was a large snake with decently sized teeth that got me in a very sensitive and vascular area. I did not pull away or flinch and if I did there may have been slightly more damage done, but still pretty negligible. Didn't require any treatment other than a good rinse off and a wipe with rubbing alcohol. Bites from even an adult california kingsnake are really not a big deal.
Old 07-20-17, 01:13 PM   #17
werled

Cool Re: Does it hurt to get bitten by a californian kings snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSam View Post
I'm also 16 and I own 3 cali kings, it really depends on what your pain tolerance is haha Like most people have already said, as a snake owner you should always be ready to take a bite, although cali kings are probably one of the sweetest snakes out there. Their teeth will definitely draw some blood but just make sure you disinfect ur wounds. The strike is often so fast that you wouldn't even feel it until like a second later. The only time I have been bitten was a few years back when I got my first cali king, and it was due to the smell of rodents on my finger that triggered her food response. ALWAYS wash your hands before handing your snake and try not to touch the head before it's used to handling. Good luck pal
g

can you give me a pain comparison 1 to 10?

and what can you compared with?
Old 07-20-17, 02:20 PM   #18
TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I agree with this!

I've also noticed the complete opposite that TRD has. Most of the Lampropeltis getula animals I have had have a very strong feeding response and will bite/chew due to that...california and florida kingsnakes especially. Every snake is an individual, though. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new snake!
Feeding response yes... They'll go for anything that is in front of them. One of mines even started to eat a leaf from one of the succulents thinking it's the mouse and fiercely defending it (slapping my hand with his tail) while I try to pry the leaf out of his mouth.

Hence, never feed with bare hands, one day you're going to find yourself prying a snake off your finger because if they bite and hold you, you won't be able to pull your hand out without doing damage to your animal...

So OP, if you get bitten and the snake holds his jaws shut, don't freak out and pull your arm back. Just let it bite. It's not venomous, you're not going to die or lose a limp.
Old 07-20-17, 02:39 PM   #19
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
Feeding response yes... They'll go for anything that is in front of them. One of mines even started to eat a leaf from one of the succulents thinking it's the mouse and fiercely defending it (slapping my hand with his tail) while I try to pry the leaf out of his mouth.

Hence, never feed with bare hands, one day you're going to find yourself prying a snake off your finger because if they bite and hold you, you won't be able to pull your hand out without doing damage to your animal...

So OP, if you get bitten and the snake holds his jaws shut, don't freak out and pull your arm back. Just let it bite. It's not venomous, you're not going to die or lose a limp.
These bites that I speak of were without food anywhere in the equation and would sometimes occur sporadically in the middle of an otherwise peaceful handling session, when removing or replacing them from/back into their enclosure, but I do agree.
Old 07-20-17, 07:57 PM   #20
SSSSnakes

If it is a defensive bite, it's quick, with little pain. If it is a feeding bite, they hold on and chew up on you.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-21-17, 06:26 PM   #21
SSSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by werled View Post
g

can you give me a pain comparison 1 to 10?

and what can you compared with?
Comparing an adult sized carpet python to an adult king I would give the carpet python a 6 and the king a 2. Like others have said just beware of their strong feeding response and you'll be gucci my friend
Old 07-21-17, 06:43 PM   #22
Doug 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
If it is a defensive bite, it's quick, with little pain. If it is a feeding bite, they hold on and chew up on you.
I'll have to agree with this, but....either way, if you have to complain about it....ummmmm....

Don't have snakes!!!!
Old 07-21-17, 08:11 PM   #23
trailblazer295

Everyone gets bitten eventually, a cali king won't hurt that bad. Small heads and teeth. I was tagged by my 2yr old boa. After the intial what the H just happened I laughed and kept repeating "little uh word I can't type....rd" It was my mistake, I was tap training but got lazy because he is small and was always so easy to handle. Well he was buried and I touched him and probably scared him and BAM. Lesson learned, poke with the hook before doing anything.
Old 07-21-17, 09:51 PM   #24
Doug 351

I play around with wild snakes...soooo...I get bit a little. It's really nothing, you'll bleed, but barely feel it.

But first: will it even happen? Probably not. I have a snake that never bit anyone for 15 years (and was handled A LOT!)

But...in a case of mistaken identity, she got my hand, and I had to pry her off... ( feeding mishap)....

She was 5' long, and tore me up pretty good.. but like mentioned above, I'd take 100 of those over one dog or cat bite.....

Heck, my darn cat hurts me a lot worse just playing around!!!!
Old 07-22-17, 05:32 AM   #25
werled

Cool Re: Does it hurt to get bitten by a californian kings snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 351 View Post
I play around with wild snakes...soooo...I get bit a little. It's really nothing, you'll bleed, but barely feel it.

But first: will it even happen? Probably not. I have a snake that never bit anyone for 15 years (and was handled A LOT!)

But...in a case of mistaken identity, she got my hand, and I had to pry her off... ( feeding mishap)....

She was 5' long, and tore me up pretty good.. but like mentioned above, I'd take 100 of those over one dog or cat bite.....

Heck, my darn cat hurts me a lot worse just playing around!!!!
does it hurt more then a kitten digging her claws in your leg have experienced that but never been bitten by a cat
Login to remove ads
Old 07-22-17, 06:15 AM   #26
dannybgoode

A kitten is far more painful to own than a king!

Other snakes may vary
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 07-22-17, 06:54 AM   #27
werled

Smile Re: Does it hurt to get bitten by a californian kings snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
A kitten is far more painful to own than a king!

Other snakes may vary
wow that a snake bite is basicaly nothing thanks everyone
Old 07-22-17, 07:09 AM   #28
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by werled View Post
wow that a snake bite is basicaly nothing thanks everyone
A king snake bit is basically nothing. A retic, Burmese or scrub for example of an ETB bite - that'd I'd rather avoid.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 07-22-17, 05:24 PM   #29
SerpentineDream

California king snakes aren't all that big. Imagine being smacked with a ruler that has small thumbtacks on it. That's about it. Some soap and water, a little Bactine and you're fine. Just check to make sure no tiny teeth are left behind. If there are you can pick them out with tweezers.

It is best for both you and the snake to hold still and wait for them to let go rather than jerking your hand back but I've never been able to overcome the reflex to yank away. It's done before I even think about it.

The first time I got bit it was a shock just because it happened so fast, but I was startled more than actually hurt.

ETA: I wouldn't be so nonchalant if I got bitten by my black milk snakes. Those guys are powerful and they hit like a hammer. They've never bitten me but I've seen and felt how hard they strike a rat. Yikes! Fortunately they are people-friendly.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake

Last edited by SerpentineDream; 07-22-17 at 05:30 PM..
Closed Thread

Tags
bites, help and advice, snake