border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-17, 01:54 PM   #1
werled

Unhappy Does it hurt to get bitten by a californian kings snake

Hi my name is mike i am 16 years old and just got my first pet snake. its a cali kingsnake female adult about 1.50 meters long. i really love snakes. there is only one prob i am very scared to get bitten by my snake. so how does it feel?
does it hurt? is it worth being scared about it? my pain threshold a little low under average i think. thanks already
Login to remove ads
Old 07-19-17, 02:25 PM   #2
dannybgoode

Re: Does it hurt to get bitten by a californian kings snake

Have you ever been bitten by a kitten or a puppy. Less than that.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 07-19-17, 02:27 PM   #3
trailblazer295

First time is the worst because of the unknown. In reality it's like a bunch of pin pricks. Isn't bad with small snakes. Cali kings aren't known to be that bitey.
Old 07-19-17, 02:29 PM   #4
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Hello and Welcome!

I get the fear part. I am also a wuss when it comes to pain lol. Getting bitten by a snake is way scarier than it is painful though. Their teeth are pretty small in comparison to many other animals. I like to think of the pain as more of a papercut than anything. (This is in relation to your snake. Carpet pythons and larger snakes are different).

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 07-19-17, 03:10 PM   #5
Scubadiver59

I got bit by my 6ft Boa the other day, a defensive strike, but it didn't hurt at all as far as I was concerned--it was so fast, there was no pressure, just a sudden pricking (19 total on two fingers) that was accompanied by some light bleeding. All I did was wash it with anti-bacterial soap throughout the day, and the following days, and I can hardly tell I got tagged.

Just keep your fingers away from the opening of the hides (don't do what I did) and let the snake come all the way out before you attempt to grab it, gently, from below or from the side. And feed your snake with tongs or the large "tweezers" like ZooMed offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by werled View Post
Hi my name is mike i am 16 years old and just got my first pet snake. its a cali kingsnake female adult about 1.50 meters long. i really love snakes. there is only one prob i am very scared to get bitten by my snake. so how does it feel?
does it hurt? is it worth being scared about it? my pain threshold a little low under average i think. thanks already
Old 07-19-17, 05:39 PM   #6
jjhill001

Yeah, but not bad. Depends on circumstances.
Old 07-19-17, 05:43 PM   #7
TRD

It's not too bad, cali kings are usually not at all bitey though as already said. They are pretty easy going and very curious.. just don't feed a 1.5 meter one with your bare hands

First bite, if ever, will be more shock than pain. But yes they do have teeth, small, but sharp. Their bite is nowhere near what a normal house cat or small dog can do if that gives you any point of reference.
Old 07-19-17, 10:15 PM   #8
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
It's not too bad, cali kings are usually not at all bitey though as already said. They are pretty easy going and very curious.. just don't feed a 1.5 meter one with your bare hands

First bite, if ever, will be more shock than pain. But yes they do have teeth, small, but sharp. Their bite is nowhere near what a normal house cat or small dog can do if that gives you any point of reference.
If I had to pick I'd let a kingsnake bite me 1000 times over being bitten by a cat or dog once.
Old 07-20-17, 07:55 AM   #9
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
If I had to pick I'd let a kingsnake bite me 1000 times over being bitten by a cat or dog once.
I agree with this!

I've also noticed the complete opposite that TRD has. Most of the Lampropeltis getula animals I have had have a very strong feeding response and will bite/chew due to that...california and florida kingsnakes especially. Every snake is an individual, though. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new snake!
Old 07-20-17, 02:20 PM   #10
TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I agree with this!

I've also noticed the complete opposite that TRD has. Most of the Lampropeltis getula animals I have had have a very strong feeding response and will bite/chew due to that...california and florida kingsnakes especially. Every snake is an individual, though. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new snake!
Feeding response yes... They'll go for anything that is in front of them. One of mines even started to eat a leaf from one of the succulents thinking it's the mouse and fiercely defending it (slapping my hand with his tail) while I try to pry the leaf out of his mouth.

Hence, never feed with bare hands, one day you're going to find yourself prying a snake off your finger because if they bite and hold you, you won't be able to pull your hand out without doing damage to your animal...

So OP, if you get bitten and the snake holds his jaws shut, don't freak out and pull your arm back. Just let it bite. It's not venomous, you're not going to die or lose a limp.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-20-17, 02:39 PM   #11
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
Feeding response yes... They'll go for anything that is in front of them. One of mines even started to eat a leaf from one of the succulents thinking it's the mouse and fiercely defending it (slapping my hand with his tail) while I try to pry the leaf out of his mouth.

Hence, never feed with bare hands, one day you're going to find yourself prying a snake off your finger because if they bite and hold you, you won't be able to pull your hand out without doing damage to your animal...

So OP, if you get bitten and the snake holds his jaws shut, don't freak out and pull your arm back. Just let it bite. It's not venomous, you're not going to die or lose a limp.
These bites that I speak of were without food anywhere in the equation and would sometimes occur sporadically in the middle of an otherwise peaceful handling session, when removing or replacing them from/back into their enclosure, but I do agree.
Old 07-19-17, 08:48 PM   #12
Magdalen

I've yet to be bitten by my snake (the gecko yes) but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. So I couldn't answer your question but I understand your nervousness/fear. I used to feel the same. A few things helped me. One being bit by the gecko (didn't hurt) and oddly enough working with horses and getting over my fear/nervousness around them. I figure it I survived getting bit, stepped on, smashed by 1000lb animals I'll be ok if my tiny 20gram snake bites me. Horse bites hurt haha
Old 07-19-17, 09:32 PM   #13
SSSam

I'm also 16 and I own 3 cali kings, it really depends on what your pain tolerance is haha Like most people have already said, as a snake owner you should always be ready to take a bite, although cali kings are probably one of the sweetest snakes out there. Their teeth will definitely draw some blood but just make sure you disinfect ur wounds. The strike is often so fast that you wouldn't even feel it until like a second later. The only time I have been bitten was a few years back when I got my first cali king, and it was due to the smell of rodents on my finger that triggered her food response. ALWAYS wash your hands before handing your snake and try not to touch the head before it's used to handling. Good luck pal
Old 07-20-17, 01:13 PM   #14
werled

Cool Re: Does it hurt to get bitten by a californian kings snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSam View Post
I'm also 16 and I own 3 cali kings, it really depends on what your pain tolerance is haha Like most people have already said, as a snake owner you should always be ready to take a bite, although cali kings are probably one of the sweetest snakes out there. Their teeth will definitely draw some blood but just make sure you disinfect ur wounds. The strike is often so fast that you wouldn't even feel it until like a second later. The only time I have been bitten was a few years back when I got my first cali king, and it was due to the smell of rodents on my finger that triggered her food response. ALWAYS wash your hands before handing your snake and try not to touch the head before it's used to handling. Good luck pal
g

can you give me a pain comparison 1 to 10?

and what can you compared with?
Old 07-21-17, 06:26 PM   #15
SSSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by werled View Post
g

can you give me a pain comparison 1 to 10?

and what can you compared with?
Comparing an adult sized carpet python to an adult king I would give the carpet python a 6 and the king a 2. Like others have said just beware of their strong feeding response and you'll be gucci my friend
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
bites, help and advice, snake