border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > Personal Websites!!!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-22, 04:44 PM   #1
Herp Husbandry

My reptile care site

Hi there! I'm new to this forum but not new to reptile keeping. A while ago I started https://herphusbandry.weebly.com/ to educate people on how to properly care for reptiles and amphibians. I'd seen way too many herps mistreated by their owners simply because the owners didn't know how to care for them. One thing turned into another, and now I have a YouTube channel and Facebook page in addition to the website. I have quite a bit of good content, if I do say so myself, but almost no traffic. And how am I supposed to help anyone with reptile care if there's no one on my site? I know the content is good, I was even able to get the Western fence lizards care sheet in the Jan/Feb issue of Reptiles magazine.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know! The link to the site is:
https://herphusbandry.weebly.com/
Login to remove ads
Old 05-21-22, 11:56 AM   #2
Herpin' Man

Re: My reptile care site

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on driving traffic to facebook or you tube sites. I don't go to either for herp information. I suppose it takes time and self promotion.
However, I can tell you this. Most of the people who are trying to "educate" others online in the subject of herp care are, in my opinion, not qualified to do so. Many of them simply re-post care info posted by others, which may or may not be accurate. So my suggestion to you is tell people who you are, what your experience is, and why they should take your advice.
Old 05-22-22, 12:49 PM   #3
Herp Husbandry

Thank you! I will do that.
Old 05-24-22, 02:28 PM   #4
Herp Husbandry

Great, thanks! Most of the info on my site is my own, except for one article someone posted on another forum about the difference between calcium w D3 and w/o D3 that was so good I asked him if I could use it. Of course I used it in an acknowledging way and recognised him as the author.
Old 05-28-22, 03:12 PM   #5
Roman

Sorry to point this out to you, but I was not really enthralled by your site. The design is OK, but the content ranges from questionable over outdated to completely wrong more often than not.

Contact Information
You said you have a FB site as well – why is there no link to it?

What Reptile
There are a lot good beginners Reptiles and Amphibians out there, so why did you choose Chameleons, Chinese Water Dragons, Iguanas and large Monitors, large Pythons and (best of all) Crocodilians as #7 to #11?? Yes you did rate them worse then the other reptiles you mentioned, but why mention them at all for a beginners site?

Your descriptions are not really optimum husbandry, the recommended enclosure sizes are on the small side, below recommended minimum size.

Calcium Information
The article itself is OK, but it doesn’t mention the need for Calcium and the basic mechanism between UVB/UVA, Provitamin-D3, Vitamin D§ and calcification

Caresheets
General remark: with my iPad I can’t see any caresheet, might be a problem because you used submenus here

Leopard gecko
20 GAL is below recommended minimum size (which is something like 90 x 45 x 45 cm / 3 ft x 18 x 18). Cage carpet is a source for infections, when your reptile defecates, any liquid portion runs through the carpet to the wooden or glass floor underneath; this produces ideal conditions for the formation of what is known as biofilm.

UTH, CHE and blue lights are a relicts from the stone age of reptile husbandry

What about UVA/UVB/IR-A/IR-B?

I could repeat myself for the other two caresheets as well, but it is basically the same. CHE emit IR-C which can’t be used by your reptiles directly, it destroys water molecules in the air and lowers the humidity.

So in my opinion contrary from what you think yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herp Husbandry View Post
[...]A while ago I started https://herphusbandry.weebly.com/ to educate people on how to properly care for reptiles and amphibians.
your information is not proper husbandry, sometimes even below bare minimum standards.

My recommendation for you would be to become a member of the FB group “Advancing Herpetological Husbandry” and “Reptile Lighting”, here you will find good care sheets and papers about correlations between UVA/UVB, D3 and calcium and why is usually no problem if the other parameters are in order

Minimum enclosure size recomendations: https://www.thefbh.org/news?fbclid=I...FC8wG6pYTTsU-g

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AdvancingHerpHusbandry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ReptileLighting
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus
Login to remove ads
Old 05-29-22, 01:22 PM   #6
Herp Husbandry

I appreciate your opinion, however, I disagree on most points.

There is no link to my FB page simply because I haven't had time to add it yet. I just started it recently and, at this point, it is basically where I post little successes I had with my leopard gecko breeding this year.

I chose chamaeleons, water dragons, iguanas and large monitors, and large pythons because they are widely available, but the drawbacks range from very specific care requirements that can be hard for a beginner to provide, and large, potentially dangerous animals that don't always have great tempers. I mentioned them in a beginners site because beginners don't know what they are getting into when they buy $30 iguana babies from the pet store. I have met several people who were gonna get them for their kids before I told them how big they get. I chose crocodilians because, although they aren't as widely available as the other animals listed, they are some of the worst pet reptiles a beginner could get.

My very brief descriptions were, as far as I am aware, correct and optimum husbandry, although I know they are not complete. They were not designed to be. Please point out exactly where it wasn't optimum so I can either explain or change it. The enclosure sizes are recommended sizes according to many keepers and breeders I have talked to.

The calcium info page was not my own, and I used it with permission from the author. I will talk to him and see what he thinks of it.

Recommended minimum tank size for a leopard gecko according to Ron Tremper is 10 g. According to many keepers and breeders, tanks larger than 40g will make it harder for the geckos to find their food. There is a lot of debate on this subject, but in my experience a 20g tank is large enough for a leopard gecko.

Although I think cage carpet harboring bacteria is a valid concern, I clean it once a week by soaking it in hot water/bleach solution and I have had no issues. When my gecko defecates, the liquid portion does not run through the carpet but the carpet absorbs it. Therefore there is no biofilm.

These heating devices are NOT stoneage relicts. I am aware that CHEs lower humidity levels, and that is part of why I use them. My leopard gecko enclosure was getting up to 55% humidity until I started using the CHE. Now it stays around 40%.

The UTH is a great tool for heating leopard geckos. Please explain why you seem to think it is outdated.

The blue light is on a dimmer and I use it simply to watch my leopard geckos eat at night. It is not a necessary part of her enclosure but I use it so there is a little bit of light, but not enough to bother her.
Closed Thread