border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > General Invertebrates Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-21, 09:39 AM   #1
DDW

Husband wants a tarantula or scorpion?

Well, my husband likes tarantulas and scorpions... I'm not so into them but... I want him to have something of his own. (I generally head up all the reptiles in the house)

Do you know what might be good starters? What kind of food would we be needing? Enclosure? Etc, just anything you think a beginner should know would be great. Thanks.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-22-21, 10:01 AM   #2
poison123

Re: Husband wants a tarantula or scorpion?

Best starter Ts IMO is anything in the Brachypelma and Aphonopelma genus. These are slower growers but you can find larger specimens available and their venom isn't anything to worry about. Though both genus do kick hairs if they get upset and its the worse thing in the world!. If you go with the Aphonoplema genus a lot of them are WC so I'd suggest going with someone like microwilderness.com Nate there does a lot for the conservation of this genus and offer extremely healthy individuals.

For cage its generally recommended that you use a size that is 2.5-3 times their total leg span. As for food I suppose anything you can offer. Roaches, superworms, crickets, hornworms. Don't need to worry about dusting since they eat their prey from the inside out leaving the exoskeleton to shrivel up.
Old 05-22-21, 10:35 AM   #3
DDW

No dusting is definitely a big plus to me! This is a popular place for fishing so I doubt I'll have issues with getting crickets or other bugs. My sister had a rosy toe tarantula (the same sister that indirectly killed an iguana and other things but... we're not talking about that...) would that be in the genera you were recommending? It seemed pretty low maintenance. How necessary would you consider handling this type of pet?
Old 05-22-21, 10:46 AM   #4
poison123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
No dusting is definitely a big plus to me! This is a popular place for fishing so I doubt I'll have issues with getting crickets or other bugs. My sister had a rosy toe tarantula (the same sister that indirectly killed an iguana and other things but... we're not talking about that...) would that be in the genera you were recommending? It seemed pretty low maintenance. How necessary would you consider handling this type of pet?
I think you mean rose hair tarantula? I believe they use to be in brachypelma but were moved to Grammostola (Grammostola rosea) and they aren't as common as they use to be since importation of this species was banned but you can still find them if you look. Usually older wc adults that came in before the ban or slings is what I've seen. These seem like a good option too though I've never kept them myself. I do know they grow extremely slow as well. The genus I have listed as well as the rose hair are all generally thought to be great if you want to attempt handling however I myself dont handle Ts unless I really have to. I'm too scared lol.
Old 05-22-21, 10:49 AM   #5
poison123

Also don't know if youre aware but females live much longer than males. In the genus I have listed males still live quite a while since they are slow growers I've read about them living form 6-9 years as males but once a male matures the lifespan is usually around a year. While females can live 20+ years. 30 isn't unheard of.
Old 05-22-21, 11:57 AM   #6
DDW

Hahaha, not needing to be handled is a plus too. I don't "like" spiders, I just am not scared of them. Creepy Crawlies... aren't my thing. I may have been mistaken about the kind of tarantula my sis had (past tense bc it died not long ago...) I think it was a pink toe, not rose whatever.

Anyway, the note on the longevity is good to know. Sounds like they're very much a "look but no touchy" kind of pet.
Old 05-22-21, 12:10 PM   #7
poison123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Hahaha, not needing to be handled is a plus too. I don't "like" spiders, I just am not scared of them. Creepy Crawlies... aren't my thing. I may have been mistaken about the kind of tarantula my sis had (past tense bc it died not long ago...) I think it was a pink toe, not rose whatever.

Anyway, the note on the longevity is good to know. Sounds like they're very much a "look but no touchy" kind of pet.
Ah yeah pink toes. I believe there are a couple genus that have species of pink toe in it and some recently got switched around. I have no experience with them but from what I've read A. avicularia make good beginner arboreal Ts but are prone to dying when slings. Not sure what causes these sudden deaths but Its something I've heard of happening a lot. They are said to make good arboreal Ts because a lot of other arboreal carry medical significant venom or are just very bolty.
Old 05-22-21, 12:14 PM   #8
poison123

Oh another I left out which make great and beautiful first time Ts are the Green Bottle Blue Tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens or GBB for short) they make very great display Ts usually webbing up their entire enclosure with a heavy mat and just sitting on top of it waiting for food. They are known for being a bit more defensing than a brachypelma but nothing too crazy.
Old 05-22-21, 02:13 PM   #9
DDW

Looks like he really likes the GBB you suggested. I also found the Mexican fire knee. I just told him I was looking into it and he seems pretty happy about it. Now to look into husbandry and prices. females seem to be pretty expensive on that site but he wants something that will last longer than the males. Are tarantulas as finicky with temps as snakes are?
Old 05-22-21, 02:21 PM   #10
poison123

Temps are pretty universal among Ts. Room temp is what is suggested. Some need more moisture than other, some need more height, and some need more substrate to create burrows. And yeah females generally go for more than males or unsexed but female GBB are a bit more manageable priced look around the classified section on arachnoboards if you want to order online.
Old 05-22-21, 02:29 PM   #11
DDW

Not sure about ordering online, I don't trust my local mail system, and I live out in the boondocks. I'll look around. Thanks!
Old 06-08-21, 05:55 AM   #12
Spotted Bull

Go for a Brazilian Black, super docile and easy to care for, but a bit harder to find and maybe a little pricier but well worth it! Or an Arizona Blonde, even more docile and easier on the pocket book.
Old 06-10-21, 05:20 AM   #13
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted Bull View Post
Go for a Brazilian Black, super docile and easy to care for, but a bit harder to find and maybe a little pricier but well worth it! Or an Arizona Blonde, even more docile and easier on the pocket book.
I'll have to take a look at those! Thanks for the suggestions.
Closed Thread