border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-17, 06:35 PM   #1
Cricket1234

Guppy tank questions

So I am thinking of turning my ten gallon into a small guppy tank/planted tank/aquaponics system. My research said that all guppies breed and breed extremely quickly. Is there an animal species (fish or otherwise) that would eat guppy fry and not bother the adults. And if not, how will I prevent breeding/get rid of the fry? Will they stop breeding when they feel the tank is overstocked? Also, any advice for everything that I am doing will be greatly appreciated. Cya and thanks so much!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-27-17, 07:08 PM   #2
trailblazer295

Re: Guppy tank questions

In a 10g tank you won't have the space for other predatory fish. Having males only will eliminate breeding. Typically the males are the more colourful of the two.
Old 03-28-17, 05:55 AM   #3
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
In a 10g tank you won't have the space for other predatory fish. Having males only will eliminate breeding. Typically the males are the more colourful of the two.
The thing is my pet store sells males and females together. Do betas eat guppy fry?
Old 03-28-17, 08:23 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Betta's do eat guppy fry however you wouldn't keep them in the same tank. The male betta will beat up your guppies.

Know what DOES eat guppy fry? Other guppies. I kept a ton of guppies in a 20 gal tank and the population will explode and then die off from being eaten or whatever and then explode again. It goes up and down.

I recommend just getting the tank and letting nature take it's course.
Old 03-28-17, 09:44 AM   #5
trailblazer295

Betta and guppies go both ways. Often guppies will pick the fins of betta as well. So generally they don't mix well. As betta and any fin nipping fish.
Old 03-28-17, 10:32 AM   #6
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Betta and guppies go both ways. Often guppies will pick the fins of betta as well. So generally they don't mix well. As betta and any fin nipping fish.
I didn't realize guppies were such A-holes
Old 03-28-17, 03:00 PM   #7
trailblazer295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
A lot of the fast moving livebearers, tetras etc aren't great tank mates with bettas because of fin nipping.
Old 03-28-17, 03:02 PM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
A lot of the fast moving livebearers, tetras etc aren't great tank mates with bettas because of fin nipping.
I just liked breeding them and hoping the cool looking ones would keep making other cool offspring.

I cross bred mine with "endlers" and it was a neat affect.

Besides, who doesn't like "Only the strong survive" mentality.
Old 03-28-17, 03:07 PM   #9
Cricket1234

Quote:
Me neither lol. You normally think of fish like Betas or Oscars as the mean ones
Old 03-28-17, 03:13 PM   #10
Cricket1234

Quote:
I just liked breeding them and hoping the cool looking ones would keep making other cool offspring.

In your experience, if a guppy of one coloration (like a cobra) and another (like a tuxedo) mate will it be a combo of the colors or will it revert to its natural coloration?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-28-17, 03:51 PM   #11
trailblazer295

Quote:

Watering down the endlers for shame sir for shame, so few pure endlers left.
Old 03-28-17, 03:59 PM   #12
BillyCostume

I like the only the strong survive mentality haha. Extras that do grow to maturity could always be fed to a garter snake
Old 03-28-17, 04:15 PM   #13
akane

Your other guppies might eat the fry and they might not. I have a pair that is now about 4 dozen in a 10g lol I need to ditch my "feeders" in my 30g with crayfish and just put the "fancy" guppies in there and let them weed a few out. They tend to get the big pregnant ones that can't move fast so I have to have a good starting group because I'll lose the most major breeders periodically. Problem is most slow fish that will eat guppy fry have the same risk as bettas of being aggressive and nipping the adults or having fins the adults nip and most of the fast fish evolved to live in groups so they are unhappy with less than about 5 and that doesn't fit in a 10. There's things with a lower risk you could try like a dwarf gourami. Related to bettas but less aggressive and short finned. There are a few really small cichlids if you can find a pair. You'll risk wiping the guppies out too efficiently then but they'll be interesting to watch and a pair might give you cichlid fry. Most don't stay small enough to mix with other fish in a 10 though so it would take a bit of a search. A 10g overall is best as a species tank and most people who get into fish don't just have one tank so they throw them in somewhere else to be eaten or they don't stop at a small tank if they only have 1 so they can fit a school of something. I've also got a sunfish tank that will decimate even adults. Overall fish aren't a good diet for fish though. Aside from the really big predators that concentrate on what would be a more moderate sized aquarium fish it's best to give a variety with insect or invert meat in a balanced food or as a mix so you can only feed so many guppies. Even the slightly bigger fish eat more insects than most any other food source.
Old 03-29-17, 08:10 AM   #14
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket1234 View Post
In your experience, if a guppy of one coloration (like a cobra) and another (like a tuxedo) mate will it be a combo of the colors or will it revert to its natural coloration?
You'd get less quality versions of those two or none at all.

Quote:
Watering down the endlers for shame sir for shame, so few pure endlers left.
The ones I bought were already watered down! I just kept up the trend.
Old 03-29-17, 06:12 PM   #15
Cricket1234

Quote:
You'd get less quality versions of those two or none at all.
Oh ok. Not really concerned with looks Iwas just wondering. Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread