border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-17, 09:29 PM   #1
Cricket1234

40 gallon Tank?

There is an old 40 gallon tank sitting out for free near my house. As I can have no more reptiles, I was wondering if I could fill it with water? I would love to have a larger tank, and maybe turn my 10 gallon to a Fire Belly Toad tank. Do you guys think the aquarium will hold water? I researched the brand, and on the box that would've came with the tank it shows a turtle tank with water in it. But only a fourth of it was filled with water, wondering if it would hold up fully filled and wouldn't break on me. If not, I will probably do a fire belly setup in it, as I know the 40 can handle a few inches. Thanks guys!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-30-17, 09:33 PM   #2
Bandit

Re: 40 gallon Tank?

Best way to test it is to just fill it up and see. Don't make the mistake I did as a kid and test that inside the house.
Old 01-30-17, 09:36 PM   #3
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Best way to test it is to just fill it up and see. Don't make the mistake I did as a kid and test that inside the house.
Ya that is what I was worried about. It would be a disaster if 40 gallons of water spilled in my room, I probably wouldn't be able to keep fish again lol.
Old 01-30-17, 09:55 PM   #4
Bandit

I'd say just put it in the yard and fill it. Make a mark of where the water line is and leave it for a few hours and check it. Make sure you give it time, in case there is a very small leak which you may not notice until a few hours have passed.
Old 02-08-17, 09:23 PM   #5
Cyclops

lol definetly fill it up in the yard! I would hate to have 10000 dolllars worth of water damage in my bedroom lol!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-09-17, 01:01 PM   #6
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
lol definetly fill it up in the yard! I would hate to have 10000 dolllars worth of water damage in my bedroom lol!
For sure! Dont think that I have the money for that
Old 02-09-17, 01:59 PM   #7
trailblazer295

I would visually check all the silicone for missing pieces, also check for any signs that it was made as a terrarium. If it was a terrarium they weren't designed to hold water so I wouldn't even risk trying it.
Old 02-09-17, 02:29 PM   #8
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
I would visually check all the silicone for missing pieces, also check for any signs that it was made as a terrarium. If it was a terrarium they weren't designed to hold water so I wouldn't even risk trying it.
Just figured out it was designed as a fish tank. Still going to run tests though since it was sitting out for a while.
Closed Thread