border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-15, 02:37 AM   #16
dannybgoode

Re: help me pick some tetras

To be honest, a big shoal of 1 type of tetra imo has far more impact that 5 of this and 6 of that.

I'd up the red eyes to 11+ and then 11+ black phantoms for contrast.

You would then have 2 really nice active shoals of attractive but contrasting fish.

An alternative would be to up the red eyes to 11+ then look at a shoal of pencil fish. They stay small, are very attractive and just a bit different. They are totally compatible with tetras and make a slightly usual addition to the tank.
Old 12-26-15, 08:19 PM   #17
Salty Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
To be honest, a big shoal of 1 type of tetra imo has far more impact that 5 of this and 6 of that.

I'd up the red eyes to 11+ and then 11+ black phantoms for contrast.

You would then have 2 really nice active shoals of attractive but contrasting fish.

An alternative would be to up the red eyes to 11+ then look at a shoal of pencil fish. They stay small, are very attractive and just a bit different. They are totally compatible with tetras and make a slightly usual addition to the tank.
Thanks. Had to look the pencil fish up. They look pretty cool. I might just do that
Old 12-30-15, 11:18 AM   #18
Pogie

I like the rummy nose but they can be delicate. I never had problems with them but others have for some reason. And I too like the large schools of them. They are much calmer and some more than others will school. Not all will however. I have had the Congos and Diamond tetras and they both schooled very well. I miss my tanks lol.
Old 12-30-15, 11:29 AM   #19
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

I can't wait to get started on my 'big' tank, which will hopefully be a 55 gallon. =)

It will be all fresh water and I can't decide between a moxture of tetras and other fish, or possibly a cichlid tank.... I do like the idea of a 'natural' tank with several kinds of fish...and maybe another lobster (or two!)

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 12-30-15, 07:19 PM   #20
Pogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
I can't wait to get started on my 'big' tank, which will hopefully be a 55 gallon. =)

It will be all fresh water and I can't decide between a moxture of tetras and other fish, or possibly a cichlid tank.... I do like the idea of a 'natural' tank with several kinds of fish...and maybe another lobster (or two!)
I tried the cichlids, they were ok but not for me.

My last tank was diamond tetras, congo tetras, bristle nose pleco, about 6 cory cats, platys, a few guppies I could never catch and my lone angel fish
Oh and lots and lots of live plants.

I have had saltwater, reef, goldfish and my favorite the planted freshwater tanks. From 10 gals to 125 gal. I do miss my tanks but I needed a break from them. I have had a tank of some sort since 4th grade.

Nothing any prettier than a tank with live plants....sooooo pretty. I put dirt in mine, gravel on top and stuck the plants in and after a while there isn't even a need for filters, the plants do all the work for ya Well unless you have cichlids, plants tend to be torn up by them. Still pretty fish though.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-30-15, 07:26 PM   #21
Pogie

Mink, if you can get a 75, much better for depth. Same length as the 55 but deeper
Old 12-30-15, 07:48 PM   #22
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Good to know!

Where did you get the dirt?

Old 12-30-15, 07:50 PM   #23
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogie View Post
Mink, if you can get a 75, much better for depth. Same length as the 55 but deeper
I honestly wouldn't have the space for a 75 lol.

Old 12-30-15, 07:50 PM   #24
Pogie

The dirt was just plain ole topsoil from Lowes As for the gravel I used brown aquarium gravel, I love the natural look.
Old 12-30-15, 07:51 PM   #25
Pogie

The depth of a 75 is 18" deep as compared to the 75 which is only like 12". You can do it! lol
Login to remove ads
Old 12-30-15, 09:03 PM   #26
Bandit

I'm thinking once I get a new place I'll get a 75g. I'll try my hand at a planted tank with some nice community fish. One thing I can say with certainty is that I will have loaches. Love those guys.
Old 12-30-15, 09:12 PM   #27
Pogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I'm thinking once I get a new place I'll get a 75g. I'll try my hand at a planted tank with some nice community fish. One thing I can say with certainty is that I will have loaches. Love those guys.
Nice! I use to have those in that tank too, I'm sure I'm forgetting others lol. You will love it!
Old 12-30-15, 09:20 PM   #28
Bandit

I tried doing a little planted shrimp tank (3g) a while back, but I didn't keep up with it and I also had moss in there which sort of took over. Hopefully I get something together though. I love keeping fish, just don't have the time, money, or space to do it how I would like to right now. Once the fish in my 29g die out I'll be taking a break for a couple years most likely. But I'm pretty sure the remaining fish are immortal lol.
Old 12-30-15, 09:52 PM   #29
Pogie

Larger tanks are much...MUCH easier to keep. What kind of fish do you have? I had zebra fish I thought would outlive me! Tough lil buggers lol.
Old 12-30-15, 09:58 PM   #30
Bandit

The only fish remaining are three zebra loaches (had them about 6 years I think) and a rainbow shark who I've had for 10.5 years. I've kept plenty of different freshwater community fish over the years...barbs, gouramis, tetras, rainbow fish, etc. The only thing I have consistently not been able to keep alive are plecos for some reason.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread