border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-11, 07:54 PM   #1
skrillex

sidewinder help

does anybody know if a sidewinder is a good starter hot for a beigginer or can u give me any suggestions thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 09-13-11, 08:03 PM   #2
youngster
Snake Child

Re: help

I don't think it is. Feisty little vipers. Do you mean the Sidewinder of America or the Peringuey's Adder? Eyelash Vipers are pretty good starter hot from what I've seen. I don't really know though.
Sage Riddle Finch
Old 09-13-11, 08:08 PM   #3
skrillex

the american sidewinder what would you suggest i get
Old 09-13-11, 09:13 PM   #4
Uncle_Rev

Talk to your folks, find a mentor, and really do some research on the particular type of snake you want.
Old 09-13-11, 09:26 PM   #5
skrillex

i found what i want a false water cobra i heard those are good begginer hots. ima get more experience before i get a really dangerous hot
Login to remove ads
Old 09-13-11, 10:09 PM   #6
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Re: sidewinder help

All hots are dangerous.
My advice is find a mentor and train under him for at least a year, once you have done that you should have a base understanding which will help you decide when the time eventually comes.
Old 09-14-11, 12:10 AM   #7
takagari

And stop opening a new thread because you question changes a little bit.
Old 09-14-11, 09:45 AM   #8
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

There are NO "starter hots." No venomous snake comes with training wheels. That being said, there are hots that are less likely to kill you than others, but as was pointed out in your false water cobra thread, no one knows how they will react to venom until they are bitten. I personally know two people who were bitten by Atheris ceratophora (horned bush viper)- one didn't need antivenin, had no necrosis and only suffered mild swelling and a blood blister. The other person had moderate necrosis, needed antivenin, and spent 6 months recovering. He still does not have proper feeling in the bitten finger.
Toxinology.com lists that species are a mild viper; however, even a mild hot can kill the person unlucky enough to be allergic. In addition, many people are allergic to antivenin and suffer anaphylactic shock.

I cannot stress enough that you should not rush into hots. Get a mentor, do research, think long and hard about the decision. By owning a venomous reptile, you are putting your life and the lives of everyone in your house at risk...every single day. It is not a decision to be taken lightly.
If you do decide to go ahead, I strongly advise you to work with angry, aggressive non-vens first. Red tail green ratsnakes make excellent practice, as do Spilotes, green tree pythons and emerald tree boas. All of these will pack a rough bite, but have no venom. Once you are comfortable with those species, and can work without being bitten, move on to "warm" snakes, like false water cobra, mangrove snakes and cat-eyed snakes.
Old 09-14-11, 09:50 AM   #9
youngster
Snake Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
No venomous snake comes with training wheels.
Haha, did you steal that from viperkeeper or is it just a coincidence? :P
Sage Riddle Finch
Old 09-14-11, 10:32 AM   #10
BlindOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
There are NO "starter hots." No venomous snake comes with training wheels. That being said, there are hots that are less likely to kill you than others, but as was pointed out in your false water cobra thread, no one knows how they will react to venom until they are bitten. I personally know two people who were bitten by Atheris ceratophora (horned bush viper)- one didn't need antivenin, had no necrosis and only suffered mild swelling and a blood blister. The other person had moderate necrosis, needed antivenin, and spent 6 months recovering. He still does not have proper feeling in the bitten finger.
As far as I know, there is no antivenin for any of the Atheris species. I wonder what they gave your friend? Hemotoxic polyvalent?
Old 09-14-11, 11:51 AM   #11
KD35WIN.AS.ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOne View Post
As far as I know, there is no antivenin for any of the Atheris species. I wonder what they gave your friend? Hemotoxic polyvalent?

South African polyvalent will reverse the effects of venom for all most all species of Atheris.

And to the OP:

Why do you want to keep venomous snakes?

Old 09-14-11, 01:21 PM   #12
takagari

Cause it's cool!
Old 09-14-11, 01:26 PM   #13
youngster
Snake Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by takagari View Post
Cause it's cool!
Yeah unfortunately that's the case most of the time
Sage Riddle Finch
Old 09-14-11, 01:39 PM   #14
ilovemypets1988

Send a message via MSN to ilovemypets1988 Send a message via Yahoo to ilovemypets1988

also another thing that should be noted here:

even if the bite doesnt kill you, getting the wrong antivenin will kill you - allergic or not.

in my personal opinion, if you want to get into hots, i would firstly get the hognose as it bluffs alot of aggression and will help you get used to the more stronger and faster species, also even though its classed as venomous, the fangs are so far down its throat that it will be hard to sink them in and your more likely to get a `fake` bite than a real 1.

but that is my personal opinion and no doubt that alot of people will disagree with me on that.
There are many things in life that we all take for granted, But the most important things that we affect are the animals and their habitats of this planet. If we can do something for these animals like give them a home and we can meet there basic needs then we are all heroes for making sure that the animals will still be there for future generations and should lead by example.
Old 09-14-11, 04:04 PM   #15
takagari

I'll be getting an eyelash once my room is done. But I also did a lot of research, have hook handled everything I own. And never once been tagged I'm cautious even with balls
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread