sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-13, 08:42 AM   #16
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Re: shedding concerns

To quote someone click the " mark at the bottom right of their post. Click as many as you want and then when you press "post reply" it will compile them all for you
Old 01-23-13, 09:30 AM   #17
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFugle View Post
cant really figure out this whole quoteing thing but anyways

@relentless- the skin looks fine nothing infectious or unusual. looks like some pre-mature skin. like you or i would if we pulled a scab off too early. the hot spot thing i agree is hot but im pretty sure my thermo is exagerating it b/c its black and under direct light. cuz the log is not even close to being hot. more so just warm.

@Lankyrob- yes i know i am anxious to get her in the boaphile. i got a 322D for her with flexwatt under and a radiant heat panel over head with a thermo regulator to monitor it all. just waiting on the heat panel. should be here later today

@shaunyboy- i believe thats what i did and so i will be keeping a close eye to make sure it is growing properly, and will be keeping her extra clean the next few days.

again thanks all for the help/advice
later today i hope to get the boaphile set up and will try getting a pic of her tail now for you.
So you just figure a vet is worthless at this point? The scales and tissues DIED at the end of your snake's tail. I'd go get that checked out instead of "just keeping an eye on it". Reason being, even though YOU may not see it, doesn't mean there isn't more tissue dead that is attached to your snake. It will continue to move up the snake. That's why if a person needs to be amputated they cut a little higher than the actual infection, so it doesn't continue to travel.
Old 01-23-13, 11:36 AM   #18
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
So you just figure a vet is worthless at this point? The scales and tissues DIED at the end of your snake's tail. I'd go get that checked out instead of "just keeping an eye on it". Reason being, even though YOU may not see it, doesn't mean there isn't more tissue dead that is attached to your snake. It will continue to move up the snake. That's why if a person needs to be amputated they cut a little higher than the actual infection, so it doesn't continue to travel.
Wouldn't that only apply to a nasty infection like flesh-eating bacteria? I've had cuts get infected, but can't say I've ever needed to have anything amputated. If it's just a scab, that doesn't really sound like it's dead or it's infected (without signs). I thought a scab means it's healing, not dead.

But OP, you should at least just call a vet and describe what's going on and see what they think.

~Maggot
Old 01-23-13, 09:48 PM   #19
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceCalamity View Post
Wouldn't that only apply to a nasty infection like flesh-eating bacteria? I've had cuts get infected, but can't say I've ever needed to have anything amputated. If it's just a scab, that doesn't really sound like it's dead or it's infected (without signs). I thought a scab means it's healing, not dead.

But OP, you should at least just call a vet and describe what's going on and see what they think.

~Maggot
It's true it does mean that, the scab part, but the blood was cut off from circulating within the tail tip for who knows how long. It literally died and if something dies on a body then there's a chance the healthy tissue can become infected after some time, even though it looks to be okay.

I know I'm talking worse case scenario but it's a very real thing that can happen easily. If the healing part starts to turn colour then it means that some dead tissue remained and it's infecting the rest once again. I've only ever seen this on one animal, a leopard gecko tail, about 8 years ago at a friend's place. Those tails easily come off, snakes do not.
Old 01-23-13, 10:14 PM   #20
EmbraceCalamity

You must have better eyesight than I do. The pic looks too blurry to me to be able to tell what scales should be yellow and are black instead.

~Maggot
Old 01-23-13, 11:27 PM   #21
JWFugle

Quote:
So you just figure a vet is worthless at this point? The scales and tissues DIED at the end of your snake's tail. I'd go get that checked out instead of "just keeping an eye on it".
aaron first off... you seem like the type of person who attacks anyone who disagrees with you, very annoying whether your right or not. show some respect.

and second do you run to the ER everytime you get a cut or a bruised elbow?? you sound like the bubble boy and tweak over any nick or scratch you get. these are snakes not helpless sacks of skin... one of the worlds most efficient killers and survivors.
Old 01-23-13, 11:30 PM   #22
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
aaron first off... you seem like the type of person who attacks anyone who disagrees with you, very annoying whether your right or not. show some respect.

and second do you run to the ER everytime you get a cut or a bruised elbow?? you sound like the bubble boy and tweak over any nick or scratch you get. these are snakes not helpless sacks of skin... one of the worlds most efficient killers and survivors.
Can you maybe get a better pic of the tail? Does it look like there are any scales that are black that shouldn't be?

~Maggot
Old 01-24-13, 07:55 AM   #23
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Aaron is talking about necrosis which is very different from a scab. He isn't attacking anyone. He says it like he sees it. It may be a little rough but its the truth.

If its a scab and it came off, bonus.

If it was a binding shed which caused the tip to die and fall off it *could* mean there is necrotic tissue left behind which *could* cause more problems.

Its up to the op.
Take it to a vet or home treat.
Old 01-24-13, 02:03 PM   #24
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Show respect to whom? Some nobody who is more worried about his wallet than his animal? Proven in the first post. I'm right and that's what matters. I don't attack anyone, I just point out the faults and the reality of the situation.

No, I don't run to an ER ever. I have never been actually. As Lady_Bug pointed out, this is necrosis. It isn't a simple scratch or something. It's far beyond that. Originated from bad husbandry and in the wild, they'd never experience this.
Old 01-24-13, 02:07 PM   #25
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Show respect to whom? Some nobody who is more worried about his wallet than his animal? Proven in the first post. I'm right and that's what matters. I don't attack anyone, I just point out the faults and the reality of the situation.

No, I don't run to an ER ever. I have never been actually. As Lady_Bug pointed out, this is necrosis. It isn't a simple scratch or something. It's far beyond that. Originated from bad husbandry and in the wild, they'd never experience this.
Actually, she said it "*could*" be necrosis and "*could*" cause more problems.

~Maggot
Old 01-24-13, 02:12 PM   #26
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:

~Maggot
Do you have reading comprehension or do you just point out posts that benefit your view so you can feel like you belong in the conversation?

I have stated in previous posts that I'm talking worst case scenario and that it shouldn't be taken lightly as it can kill the snake.

Also, what do you think killed the tail in the first place? Butterflies and rainbows? Sure wasn't a respitory infection. Necrosis has in fact been apart of this situation.
Old 01-24-13, 02:31 PM   #27
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Do you have reading comprehension or do you just point out posts that benefit your view so you can feel like you belong in the conversation?

I have stated in previous posts that I'm talking worst case scenario and that it shouldn't be taken lightly as it can kill the snake.

Also, what do you think killed the tail in the first place? Butterflies and rainbows? Sure wasn't a respitory infection. Necrosis has in fact been apart of this situation.
I'm not saying whether it is or not (though you seem to be switching back and forth between "worst case scenario" and "has in fact been apart of this situation"). But you claimed lady_bug said that this "is" necrosis, and I was pointing out that she didn't. She took great care to emphasize the word "could," which you seemed to ignore.

But yes, I do have reading comprehension, hence me picking up on the word "could."

~Maggot
Old 01-24-13, 03:09 PM   #28
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Quote:

~Maggot
I use the word *could* because I am not there to physically see the animal.

However I am leaning toward the tail being the result of necrosis based on the information being given but since I'm not there and I am not a vet I will leave absolutes to those more comfortable making them.

The one experience I had with binding sheds is with my lacerta. My male had a bound shed that I did not notice since their tails are ribbed. When I saw it it had already bulged and I knew it would fall off. It was the last 2mm of tail when it did fall off I consulted with a friend and he advised me the same as I am advising the op.

He said if I saw the tail discolor I better go to a vet. These lizards regenerate their tail. His tail tip grew back without incident. Had he not been a species that regenerated its tail I believe the result would have been different. But there was still a risk.
Old 01-24-13, 03:33 PM   #29
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
I use the word *could* because I am not there to physically see the animal.

However I am leaning toward the tail being the result of necrosis based on the information being given but since I'm not there and I am not a vet I will leave absolutes to those more comfortable making them.

The one experience I had with binding sheds is with my lacerta. My male had a bound shed that I did not notice since their tails are ribbed. When I saw it it had already bulged and I knew it would fall off. It was the last 2mm of tail when it did fall off I consulted with a friend and he advised me the same as I am advising the op.

He said if I saw the tail discolor I better go to a vet. These lizards regenerate their tail. His tail tip grew back without incident. Had he not been a species that regenerated its tail I believe the result would have been different. But there was still a risk.
I understand that. I personally can't tell from the pic what's black that shouldn't be, and I just don't think it's a good idea to tell someone their snake is going to be eaten alive by dead skin based on a blurry pic, which is why I asked for a better one. But vets are always a good idea if people aren't sure of things.

Also, I didn't know lacertas regrew their tails. That kind of surprises me for some reason.

~Maggot
Old 01-24-13, 03:36 PM   #30
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

They do indeed and they do so surprisingly quick. Before I bought my female the supplier I got her from was convinced she was a male. When he tried to pop her she dropped her whole tail. It grew back in a little under 2 months
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
reticulated python, shed problem, shedding