border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-22, 11:32 PM   #1
Sunnie

Exclamation Help!

I just recently came back from a job trip and had came back to my youngest ball Sunny, 1.5 yo, with this horrible wound on her back that is scabbed up. I’m taking care of finding out what happened but the closest exotic vet which is fully booked for a whole week!
The wound itself is ugly, and I think she must have pulled the scab off on her hide because it’s showing her flesh underneath. Luckily no bleeding and she’s been moving like normal aside from me bothering her for photos.

Advice is needed, how do I keep the wound clean till I can make her an appointment, Ive already switched her substrate to paper towel. Do I just pop up into the vets and hope they’d take me as a walk-in?

I’ll update once I find out how to resize my photos and upload.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-25-22, 10:08 AM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Help!

You need to check and see how this happened. Did someone feed her live food while you were away? How long were you away for? Where are the heating elements in the enclosure?
Old 04-26-22, 02:37 PM   #3
Sunnie

@Aaron_S

I was away for 3 months and a few days but I confirmed with my family that they kept her and my older snake (15+) on F/T. From what they told me my youngest siblings ferret attacked my snake when her cage was open for some reason, i think it might be true cause there’s smaller bites along her body. As far as the heating I use a heat bulb clamped onto the side of my shelf so it wouldn’t be possible for it to fall in.
I honestly don’t know why they didn’t tell me maybe they thought she was going to die from her injuries so they just tried to leave her alone? At this point she’s still alive and moving around but has this massive scab on her back that’s lifting, I posted two photos above.
Old 04-25-22, 07:13 PM   #4
Sunnie

Those are from yesterday night, I was away for a few months but had to also quarantine from a health scare for a few days prior to coming back. I asked my family who was watching her for me and they confirmed that they kept her on FT mice since I only do assisted/supervised live feedings.
But so far the story is that my youngest siblings ferret got into her cage when the door was open and attacked her. It seems most likely since she has a few tiny bite scabs along her body but now I’m more worried cause my other snake (15+f) wasn’t attacked so it might’ve been deliberate?

Honestly I am still trying ti get their story straight but I’m more worried about how to get Sunny to a vet or at least try to find a way to keep it clean while I waitz
Old 04-26-22, 02:24 PM   #5
Sunnie

https://i.postimg.cc/pXP2Nnd1/A97-E1...953-D01-A6.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zXG9Swv5/D222-A...7-F618-CA0.jpg

Last edited by Sunnie; 04-26-22 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Added photos
Login to remove ads
Old 04-26-22, 07:44 PM   #6
chairman

I'd move the snake to a sterile cage. Paper towel substrate, clean up all the hides before you put them back in. Then I'd start daily baths in chlorhexidine, about 10-15 minutes in room temperature water. The chlorhexidine should have instructions on the bottle for how much you need to dilute it. That will keep things nice and clean until a vet can see the snake.

The vet will need to see what kind of damage was done and will probably want to use antibiotics (I imagine ferret bites are full of nasty germs).

Is the snake still eating? If yes, and there haven't been issues, then I might consider feeding undersized prey. That might put less stress on the wounds.

Good luck with your snake.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python help, help and advice, injury