border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-03, 02:13 PM   #1
SCReptiles

The Tri-State Big Three

Of course I live in what is called the tri-state area (TN, GA, AL) and my interest mostly lies in the snakes indigenous to this area. I wanted to test and see if this will allow me to post multiple pictures in this manner, so as I test I will display nice photos of the three large venomous species indigenous to my area. Thanks for bearing with me.

Crotalus horridus horridus. Female. 59” 6 pounds

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen. Female. 43” 1.5 pounds

Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. Male. 44” 4 pounds
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere

Last edited by SCReptiles; 06-19-03 at 02:27 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 06-19-03, 02:20 PM   #2
Tim_Cranwill

You are missing the / in your closing [IMG] tag...
Old 06-19-03, 02:26 PM   #3
SCReptiles

Thanks, I was testing and editing. I think I have it now. =)
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 06-19-03, 05:34 PM   #4
shaggybill

Oh! My! Goodness!!!!!!

I am so freakin jealous....

SC, that isnt fair. Why the heck am I stuck in freakin northern Indiana?

What do ya wanna bet I can throw this football over them mountains?
Old 06-20-03, 08:24 AM   #5
SCReptiles

Bill, don’t get the impression you see snakes like these everyday. All three of these are exaggerated specimens, that are rarely encountered in the wild. The rattler and copper are LTC (over 5 years). The cotton however, was just recently collected. A very rare find!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-20-03, 12:59 PM   #6
Jeremy

Nice animals man! That Timber is real big! However, i think that cotton is alittle on the small size:-) HERS A BIG COTTON....

Tiny here measured just about 5 1/2 ft the last time I measurred him and has grown alittle since. Ive yet to weight him however.

Anyway, im always looking for an excuse to throw that picture in the mix:-) Whats the locality on that trapjaw of yours? A good freind of mine pulled a 6 fter off a highway in Florida last year. Now that thing was big!!!

Thanks for shareing,
Jeremy
Old 06-20-03, 01:00 PM   #7
17730turtlegirl

Send a message via MSN to 17730turtlegirl
cool snakes ever get bitten by one ?
Old 06-20-03, 01:54 PM   #8
Matt

jeremy, every time i see that pic, it freaks me out, that cotton is a monster man!
Old 06-20-03, 02:12 PM   #9
SCReptiles

Jeremy, very impressive specimen. I have seen them come from LA and FL over 5 feet before, but this “old boy” came out of north AL. He is the biggest I have ever seen from this far north. He is approximately 44”, maybe a touch longer as you know they are hard to measure. He weighted at 4 pounds the day we caught him. (had not eaten and defecated twice before we could scale him) Brain Smith has a female that scales at 8 pounds, but she is a LTC. I am thinking this one will scale at about 6 pounds by hibernation this year. Hopefully a little captive care and he will break 5 feet. That would be awesome. Did you collect that one? Where did that 6’ specimen you mentioned end up?
Old 06-20-03, 02:16 PM   #10
SCReptiles

17730turtlegirl, fortunately I have never been bitten by a venomous snake. Most bites from captive venomous come from venom extractions and do not extract any of mine. The second leading cause is bagging, and I normally do not bag venomous. In 2004 I will be working at the Virginia Reptile Museum. Once we are up and going, we will be doing extractions for the public, then my chances will go up a little, but I am hopeful I will keep my prefect record in tack.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-24-03, 10:02 PM   #11
fatboy

Send a message via AIM to fatboy
Nice snakes. Take all the time you need. I like seeing those great snakes.