sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-21, 02:00 AM   #1
Hopesandreams

Please help me I need advice quickly

Hi guys
I made this account specifically so I could ask people who would know what to do. Long story short my (somewhat new) friend came over earlier tonight with her snake because she's going through a tough living situation and working 2 jobs and her house caught fire 1 months ago so she's living in a friend's mother's garage, blah blah. But it's bad, okay?
She has very little money and she's always borrowing from others because she also has so many animals it's a really long story but I feel bad for these animals and want to help in any way I can. And basically she is not currently able to care for all of her animals andmy boyfriend and I agreed to take her snake and her tarantula. This I was expecting, but..
It's a corn snake. I think she got it as a hatchling 1 year ago. It's very small. She doesn't even know if it is a male or female. She said it bites a lot because she never ever handles him. The tank was dirty, after she left we immediately dumped all the soil out, washed the tank, scrubbed everything down gave her 2 hides (she had 1)..
Now since she has no money, I thought I was worried because she said she feeds on Wednesday and she hadn't this past week and I was worried and going to get food. Then she tells us she has been feeding it once a month... I don't know how long she has only been feeding it once a month, but this snake was also kept in a very hot garage and I'm just so worried about this poor beautiful snake. If she did get it as a hatchling it is around 1 year old, and eating pinkies. I'd say maybe 1.5 feet long but certainly no more than 2'. Came in a 10 gallon tank, she surprisingly doesn't look extremely unhealthy but she is very small.
ANYWAY I came here to ask: Am I okay to just start feeding her weekly or should I break her into it slowly to avoid digestive issues?
I tried to upload a photo but the file size is too large. I'd really love someone to tell me what morph she is 😭 she's beautiful. I hate seeing her in this condition and I was so happy we were able to fix it for her. We were also told she'd extremely aggressive because she was never handled but my bf held her twice while we were cleaning out her tank and she never bit him or anything.. 💔 I just want to save her. Is once a month normal maintenance feeding?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-25-21, 05:37 PM   #2
poison123

Re: Please help me I need advice quickly

Corn snakes are generally fed weekly as younglings as they get older some push it to 10 days however a feeding once a month wouldn't starve them but I'm sure you'll see a much slower grow rate. Get it off pinkies as soon as you can at that size the mouse is very underdeveloped and lacks the nutrients of an older more developed mouse. As for switching from once a month to weekly i don't see it causing any harm for a corn snakes.
Old 07-25-21, 05:40 PM   #3
poison123

Also to post photos you have to have at least 5 posts. Go say hi to 4 new members or something or you can just share a link to the image.
Old 07-25-21, 06:19 PM   #4
Hopesandreams

Yes, she is much shorter and skinnier than a cornsnake her age should be. And she came here in a 10 gallon tank so I also suspect that is partially why her growth is so stunted. I just want to help this gorgeous creature. She deserves better. Thanks for the tip on pinkies!! That is my goal. I think I am going to offer her a meal again in 5 days and see if she accepts. Will that be okay?
Old 07-26-21, 12:08 AM   #5
ReptiWorldWide

I agree with poison123 in that I don't think switching the corn to weekly feedings directly will affect it, as in the wild snakes are oportunistic feeders (as i'm sure you already know) and have no "feeding schedule".
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread