border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-21, 03:41 PM   #1
Bodega aquatics

How to heat a wooden enclosure

Hello! I am looking to start building custom enclosures and I has a quick question about heating methods. I tend to favor heat mats most of the time but I'm not sure if you can do that with plywood. My only option seems to be ceramic but they're supposed to take up a lot of electricity. Maybe heat mats could work but I'd be worried about warping the wood and not having heat pernitrate. Is there an option that all you DIY guys use that works pretty well? Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-09-21, 04:09 PM   #2
Pythonguy1

Re: How to heat a wooden enclosure

If using a heat mat for a wooden enclosure I put the mat inside the enclosure and sandwich it between two tiles. It sit's on top of one tile so it doesn't burn the wood, and then another tile goes on top of the mat so it radiates the heat across the floor space. A better option would be to do the same but with a heat cord. Set the cord up like you would normally do but instead put it inside the enclosure then put a tile over the space that the cord is covering. I would steer away from using ceramic globes and stuff like that as they are expensive and unnatural for snakes IMO.
Hope this helps
Genesis 1:24- And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so.
Old 06-11-21, 12:10 PM   #3
toddnbecka

Ultratherm heat mats are the only brand I use. Placed inside a wooden enclosure, you have to make sure they won't be exposed to excess moisture for long periods of time, but that goes along with the wooden enclosure in general. I use large ceramic tiles as well. A radiant heat panel would also work. It's a more expensive option, but no worries about moisture.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 06-12-21, 08:43 PM   #4
Bodega aquatics

Thank you both very much!
Old 06-13-21, 02:04 AM   #5
Pythonguy1

Cheers mate.
Genesis 1:24- And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-16-21, 08:57 AM   #6
Herpin' Man

I like radiant heat panels for snake cages.
Closed Thread