border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-13, 12:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Re: How Many Mice Should Be Fed to a Ball Python?

SnakeGirl...

Consider feeding according to rodent weight rather than category.

I think your animal is nearly 1300g right? Everyone is a little different..I would feed that animal nothing less than a 120g rodent every week. More if it was a female, and especially this time of year. (Yours is a male I believe)

Size categories vary by supplier, and even from bag to bag. My guy tried to keep mediums at 145(ish) to 175. I have picked up 200 mediums in an order with rodents as low as 130g and the biggest was almost 200g.

That said - I know if I go anywhere else the range will be different unless discussed.

....Just sayin'....know what you are offering.
Old 11-27-13, 01:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
You realize that the link you used to back your statement actually proved you wrong? Imagine that.... I really like how you try and make a point, prove yourself wrong and then brush it off as not pertinent to the op. Bad db ( obviously the ank isn't necessary) for giving bad info.
How did I prove myself wrong? Pretty sure I corrected my statement and in no way stated that what was on the web page proved my original point.

WHAT I did was call you out on being wrong about what you stated RP claimed as their adult mice size. All you had to do was answer that for me, maybe rodent pro has a different chart I didn't notice maybe ?

Last edited by alessia55; 11-27-13 at 06:16 PM..
Old 11-27-13, 03:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbank999 View Post
How did I prove myself wrong? Pretty sure I corrected my statement and in no way stated that what was on the web page proved my original point.

WHAT I did was call you out on being wrong about what you stated RP claimed as their adult mice size. All you had to do was answer that for me, maybe rodent pro has a different chart I didn't notice maybe ?
Here is where you proved yourself wrong, you claimed two adult mice would be equivalent to a medium rat. Well two large mice would be 50g according to rp while a medium rat is 75g on the small side and 175g on the large side. If you do theath it would take 3 to 7 large mice to make a medium rat. Do you get the difference now? Maybe they don't teach math theee in Massachusetts. Anyway to sum it all up for you you werw weong, you posted a link that proved it and now your and very butt hurt.

Also I have already furthered my genetic line an my sic uear old is a borderline genius. Maube I will send him over to your place to teach you some math and reading skills.

Last edited by alessia55; 11-27-13 at 06:16 PM..
Old 11-27-13, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Oh poor muffin is angry....

Here is where you proved yourself wrong, you claimed two adult mice would be equivalent to a medium rat. Well two large mice would be 50g according to rp while a medium rat is 75g on the small side and 175g on the large side. If you do theath it would take 3 to 7 large mice to make a medium rat. Do you get the difference now? Maybe they don't teach math theee in Massachusetts. Anyway to sum it all up for you you werw weong, you posted a link that proved it and now your and very butt hurt.

Also I have already furthered my genetic line an my sic uear old is a borderline genius. Maube I will send him over to your place to teach you some math and reading skills.
I said, "two adult mice would be ABOUT a medium rat" and then after you stated weights, I changed my statement. I also said adult, not large, not small, not jumbo. The thing is that I changed my estimate on size comparison between the species when you brought forth your information, I then questioned your information from rodent pro and you seemingly took it as an insult towards your (unknown to me) rodent breeding expertise that's currently exists. I was not, and am still not, arguing with you how to create an equivalent weight of multiple mice to one rat.

Thanks for questioning my math though. I have a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering, and now make a pretty penny a year dealing commercial and military aircraft engine manufacturing. No math involved there!

You also clearly can't see how desperate you seem to be called "right".. And I am done with this.
Old 11-27-13, 04:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbank999 View Post
I said, "two adult mice would be ABOUT a medium rat" and then after you stated weights, I changed my statement. I also said adult, not large, not small, not jumbo. The thing is that I changed my estimate on size comparison between the species when you brought forth your information, I then questioned your information from rodent pro and you seemingly took it as an insult towards your (unknown to me) rodent breeding expertise that's currently exists. I was not, and am still not, arguing with you how to create an equivalent weight of multiple mice to one rat.

Thanks for questioning my math though. I have a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering, and now make a pretty penny a year dealing commercial and military aircraft engine manufacturing. No math involved there!

You also clearly can't see how desperate you seem to be called "right".. And I am done with this.
How can you poddibly keep your job when you think something that is a 1/3 smaller is about the same..... definitely sounds like s government job.

Also my soze chart is from when I standardized my sizes with rp two years ago.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-27-13, 06:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris72 View Post
SnakeGirl...

Consider feeding according to rodent weight rather than category.

I think your animal is nearly 1300g right? Everyone is a little different..I would feed that animal nothing less than a 120g rodent every week. More if it was a female, and especially this time of year. (Yours is a male I believe)

Size categories vary by supplier, and even from bag to bag. My guy tried to keep mediums at 145(ish) to 175. I have picked up 200 mediums in an order with rodents as low as 130g and the biggest was almost 200g.

That said - I know if I go anywhere else the range will be different unless discussed.

....Just sayin'....know what you are offering.
That's how I feed my boa, and next time I get some rats I was going to start my ball on it, too. Last I measured Bud he was 1275 grams I believe (2lb 13oz). He's due to be weighed again, though. I have weighed his rats, but I'll weigh the ones I got since then and see how their weight compares. He's offered a rat weekly, but he only takes a rat every 2 weeks or once a month and he's been eating like that for awhile. He's starting to get better now, and he's eating every 2 weeks more often than he is every month instead. He ate a little over a week ago, but refused his meal this time so I'll try again next week. He hasn't lost any weight over this time, so I'm not worried yet, but I've already discussed it with my vet and he's ready for me to bring him in if he does start losing weight.

Bud's gender is completely unknown to me, I am only assuming he is a male.

Either way, my question was only asking if it was possible that they could be underfeeding their 4ft ball python by feeding only 2 mice weekly, or if I was overfeeding by feeding 6+ mice to a 3.5ft ball python.
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 1.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura - RIP Guin and Morzan, 1.1 Picasso stripe BRB
Old 11-27-13, 06:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

I usually feed my ball a medium rat, when Im short rats I'll feed him mice. He usually stops around 6 or 7 mice. I don't think you're overfeeding.
Old 11-27-13, 06:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
That's how I feed my boa, and next time I get some rats I was going to start my ball on it, too. Last I measured Bud he was 1275 grams I believe (2lb 13oz). He's due to be weighed again, though. I have weighed his rats, but I'll weigh the ones I got since then and see how their weight compares. He's offered a rat weekly, but he only takes a rat every 2 weeks or once a month and he's been eating like that for awhile. He's starting to get better now, and he's eating every 2 weeks more often than he is every month instead. He ate a little over a week ago, but refused his meal this time so I'll try again next week. He hasn't lost any weight over this time, so I'm not worried yet, but I've already discussed it with my vet and he's ready for me to bring him in if he does start losing weight.

Either way, my question was only asking if it was possible that they could be underfeeding their 4ft ball python by feeding only 2 mice weekly, or if I was overfeeding by feeding 6+ mice to a 3.5ft ball python.

Ok great.

No need to be taking your animal to the vet if he's off food for a few weeks. At nearly 1300g I wouldn't even blink if he (she?) was off food for four months or more. An animal that size would only drop a little in four months.

A friend had a large female go off food for nearly two years once....then just start back up again.
Old 11-27-13, 11:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post

My apologies for the thread getting thrown off topic, I did not mean for my poor comparison to disrupt you seeking information.
Old 11-28-13, 12:03 AM   #25 (permalink)

My 2060g male BP eats a large rat every 2-3 weeks. He's 7 years old and almost 4 1/2 feet.
Old 11-28-13, 05:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

So in the end as the smoke clears the answer to the originak question was 0

Seriously just go the rat route at the size everyone else said. I will add tgis.....you may have a mouse to rat switch hunger strike when you try to switch the snake over. Persevere and wait the snake out. There are a few threads here about peoples experiences with the change over. Good luck.
Old 11-28-13, 01:47 PM   #27 (permalink)

^ Exactly!^
Old 11-29-13, 08:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

Ok, so I take I was right. lol A bit roundabout, but from what I can tell 2 mice is far too few mice for a 4ft ball python.

I think I may need to clear up a few misconceptions as well. I do not feed Bud mice, only rats. When I fed mice it was only to stimulate appetite and I no longer do it. I had no problems switching from mice to rats, and the only switching I've done is recently switching him from live to f/t.
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 1.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura - RIP Guin and Morzan, 1.1 Picasso stripe BRB
Old 12-20-13, 11:19 AM   #29 (permalink)

I would venture to guess that YES the snake was being underfed. I also second the notion that its easier, more cost effective and less time consuming to feed an appropriate sized meal as apposed to lotsa small ones, though for some reasons( ill snake, freshly hatched, feeding trouble) it can be necessary in the short term. You have received some sound advice above and Ill add that if weighing the meal isn't an option you can eye ball the rat .. It should be 1-1.5 times the girth of the largest part of the snakes body. ( You probably know most of this as you seemed to be asking about another snake/post it may be beneficial for those people less familiar with proper sizing.) You also want to make sure the snake has dedicated before offering it a second meal if it will be shortly after the first IMHO.
Old 12-21-13, 02:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizCandice View Post
I would venture to guess that YES the snake was being underfed. I also second the notion that its easier, more cost effective and less time consuming to feed an appropriate sized meal as apposed to lotsa small ones, though for some reasons( ill snake, freshly hatched, feeding trouble) it can be necessary in the short term. You have received some sound advice above and Ill add that if weighing the meal isn't an option you can eye ball the rat .. It should be 1-1.5 times the girth of the largest part of the snakes body. ( You probably know most of this as you seemed to be asking about another snake/post it may be beneficial for those people less familiar with proper sizing.) You also want to make sure the snake has dedicated before offering it a second meal if it will be shortly after the first IMHO.
Yes, I did bring up those other points with them as well, but they were absolutely convinced that their method was correct. I'm now convinced that if their bp was indeed of a good weight that they were either lying about how they fed it or it was thinner than what they thought. They never provided a photo, however, so I couldn't tell you. Our conversation has long ended, but I will make sure to use some of the points brought up in this thread next time that someone does something similar, or just linking them here. I do use the weight method, and it's much easier to determine since buying an electric scale a month or two ago.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread