border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-17, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

What subspecies should I get?

Hi there,
I recently got a nice enclosure (52x27x51 inches) and I know that I want a carpet python, but I am the worst at deciding things and I don't know what subspecies to get! So many choices! What do you guys think I should choose?
StarFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 05-27-17, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Re: What subspecies should I get?

That's a great sized enclosure for a carpet. It really depends on the size, color, or morph of the carpet you want and how much you want to spend. Popular ssp like Coastals and Bredli can reach 7-9 ft. Jungles, IJs and Darwins average 5-6 ft but can get a little bigger. That's not counting some of the amazing morphs available. I was initially drawn to the the beautiful black and yellow jungles but now I prefer coastals. You really can't go wrong with any carpet. Find one that tickles your fancy and enjoy. You'll have a few more in no time.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
EL Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

/pedant mode on/Strictly bredli are not carpets but their own Morelia sp./pedant mode off/ Great choice though, really lovely snakes.

Personally I'd go for a bredli or Irian Jaya (Morelia spilota harrisoni). Lovely looking carpets and I prefer the markings to the others.

Carpets in general rock. Be aware that youngsters can be nippy and just occasionally you can end up with a pyscho adult. This isn't meant to put you off - just so you're aware.
Old 05-28-17, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

My advice, go to a reptile show, find one you like the looks of, and try handling the wee beastie to see whether it's a nippy or mellow individual. My jungle/cross was a sweetheart from the start. My Irian Jaya struck at literally anything that moved for a couple months, gradually calmed down, and now she's no problems at all. Only complaint about her, she refuses to go near a rat, while the jungle/cross switched right over without a fuss.
5.4.24 Dominican red mountain boas, 0.0.1 Jungle cross carpet python, 0.0.1 IJ carpet python, 1.1 BCI, 0.1 Dumeril's boa, 0.1 Everglades rat snake, 1.1 thayeri kings, 1.1 Elaphe climacophora, 1.0 fire bull, 0.1 normal bull, 1.1 Candoia paulsoni tasmai. 1.1 Elaphe prasina, 1.0 speckled king, 0.1 infernalis, 0.1 Okeetee corn
toddnbecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, I'll probably get a jungle. Jungles appear to be the easiest to find, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for a male bredli or coastal. Also, I unfortunately missed the last reptile show in my state by a couple weeks, dangit.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-17, 12:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Did you end up getting a carpet bud?
Louv44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nope, the enclosure i had was poorly built and it rotted. I'm low on funds now since i need to get a new enclosure, so it'll be a while before i bring home a scaley friend.
Old 07-29-17, 03:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have one of these...and with its latest shed, an 8ft psycho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
/pedant mode on/Strictly bredli are not carpets but their own Morelia sp./pedant mode off/ Great choice though, really lovely snakes.

Personally I'd go for a bredli or Irian Jaya (Morelia spilota harrisoni). Lovely looking carpets and I prefer the markings to the others.

Carpets in general rock. Be aware that youngsters can be nippy and just occasionally you can end up with a pyscho adult. This isn't meant to put you off - just so you're aware.
Old 07-29-17, 06:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

They've a really nice albino in my favourite store that they just can't sell because it's possessed. They've had it welll over a year and won't sell it to someone that can't manage it. Just walk by the viv and the thing is ready to strike in an instant. Has the same look of hatred must scrubs have.
Old 07-29-17, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Isn't it more interesting and exciting to handle snakes that don't behave like worms all the time? I think so and wouldn't hesitate to buy a carpet with attitude
gebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 07-29-17, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebon View Post
Isn't it more interesting and exciting to handle snakes that don't behave like worms all the time? I think so and wouldn't hesitate to buy a carpet with attitude
There is attitude and then pyschosis. The defensiveness of some carpets would be enough to put a lot of people off them. It's rare that they stay difficult into adulthood but the odd one never chills out and 7'+ of angry Morelia can be quite startling.
Old 07-29-17, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
TRD

There's a difference between "attitude" and "touch me and I rip your face clean off"

Handling a consistently pissed off adult carpet is no fun, maybe it's a kicker to do it a few times, but constantly?
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 07:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Imo a high quality jungle carpet is one of the more stunning carpets out there. If you want a display snake, it is hard to beat one. If we are talking about the total package my favorite is the IJ.
This is excluding morphs, mixes and hybrids. Getting into that it would be impossible to give advise. You just gotta go with what catches your eye.
Old 07-29-17, 08:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

If you're looking into Jungles and want a high quality one I'd get into contact with Derek Roddy. I got mine from him and the snake is truly stunning.

Last edited by regi375; 07-29-17 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect hates me
regi375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 12:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Starfall, what kinds of carpet were you interested in? I know you said Junglrs they are available I can turn you on to a breeder for almost any kind here in the US, get the animal you want the most you will have it 20 or more years. Despite the misconceptions carpet personality are all the same with the exception of Bredli which are slightly more calm but all if raised and understood properly will be outstanding pets. Let me know what you decide on or if you need anything, good luck!
Louv44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads