border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-17, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

What subspecies should I get?

Hi there,
I recently got a nice enclosure (52x27x51 inches) and I know that I want a carpet python, but I am the worst at deciding things and I don't know what subspecies to get! So many choices! What do you guys think I should choose?
StarFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 05-27-17, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Re: What subspecies should I get?

That's a great sized enclosure for a carpet. It really depends on the size, color, or morph of the carpet you want and how much you want to spend. Popular ssp like Coastals and Bredli can reach 7-9 ft. Jungles, IJs and Darwins average 5-6 ft but can get a little bigger. That's not counting some of the amazing morphs available. I was initially drawn to the the beautiful black and yellow jungles but now I prefer coastals. You really can't go wrong with any carpet. Find one that tickles your fancy and enjoy. You'll have a few more in no time.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
EL Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

/pedant mode on/Strictly bredli are not carpets but their own Morelia sp./pedant mode off/ Great choice though, really lovely snakes.

Personally I'd go for a bredli or Irian Jaya (Morelia spilota harrisoni). Lovely looking carpets and I prefer the markings to the others.

Carpets in general rock. Be aware that youngsters can be nippy and just occasionally you can end up with a pyscho adult. This isn't meant to put you off - just so you're aware.
Old 05-28-17, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

My advice, go to a reptile show, find one you like the looks of, and try handling the wee beastie to see whether it's a nippy or mellow individual. My jungle/cross was a sweetheart from the start. My Irian Jaya struck at literally anything that moved for a couple months, gradually calmed down, and now she's no problems at all. Only complaint about her, she refuses to go near a rat, while the jungle/cross switched right over without a fuss.
6.4.24 Dominican red mountain boas, 0.0.1 Jungle cross carpet python, 0.0.1 IJ carpet python, 1.1 BCI, 0.1 Dumeril's boa, 0.1 Everglades rat snake, 1.1 thayeri kings, 1.1 Elaphe climacophora, 1.0 fire bull, 0.1 normal bull, 1.1 Candoia paulsoni tasmai. 1.1 Elaphe prasina, 1.0 speckled king
toddnbecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, I'll probably get a jungle. Jungles appear to be the easiest to find, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for a male bredli or coastal. Also, I unfortunately missed the last reptile show in my state by a couple weeks, dangit.
StarFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads