border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-17, 12:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Re: Diving in Headfirst...in a shallow pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
The colouration and side/belly pattern seen in the pic are definitely carpet python and not scrub.

I would agree that the colour is a little more towards a Coastal but it's probably a mix with like mostly Jungle and some coastal. Either way it looks healthy.
Thanks Aaron - my first thought when i saw it was scrub is all. But yes you're right - a cross of spilota sp makes sense.

Sort of thing that crossed my mind

Last edited by dannybgoode; 05-09-17 at 12:35 PM..
dannybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 07:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Most definitely not a scrub, especially not an Australian Scrub; they are illegal even in Australia (there are a few illegal rumored in Europe but I've heard of none in the US) I also agree it looks very similar to a coastal (they grow larger than JCP) but giving the seller some credibility I also agree that carpet localities can get a bit muddy because they are crossed so often (jungle carpet python gets used loosely). Either way looks great and to honest Coastal's are my favorite carpets.
ubermenchwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 10:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermenchwhite View Post
Most definitely not a scrub, especially not an Australian Scrub; they are illegal even in Australia (there are a few illegal rumored in Europe but I've heard of none in the US) I also agree it looks very similar to a coastal (they grow larger than JCP) but giving the seller some credibility I also agree that carpet localities can get a bit muddy because they are crossed so often (jungle carpet python gets used loosely). Either way looks great and to honest Coastal's are my favorite carpets.
Kinghornii aren't illegal in Europe as far as I know so long as they're CB. they're certainly not illegal in the UK just very few people work with them. They job longer be exported from Australia and I don't think you can take them from the wild if you live there but you can still own CB ones to the best of my knowledge.
Old 05-10-17, 01:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Nice viv Scuba and beautiful looking snake
Old 05-10-17, 05:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

I successfully transported my new charge home last night, but it was a bumpy ride back; and when I opened the box the seller gave me to to transport it in, it was a little too eager to get close and personal and take off for parts unknown.

So, with a few taps to the head, a mad dash for freedom, and a short wrestling match with me, which I won, it has been temporarily settled into a 110L Sterilite tub and is sitting on the top of the viv, where it's a toasty 78F at night and 86F by day, until I can finish caulking the inside of the viv I just put together (after a 24hr curing period...of course). One thing I have to say, in all honesty, is that this snake is a strong little bugger! There's no comparison whatsoever to my colubrids, which are the only snakes I've really come in contact with. But this morning, when I put in a small water dish, it was very calm and came close to the water dish, and my hand, with no hint of aggression...a good sign.

Another thing I definitely have to do is to weigh the CP so I can ask if the weight is normal: it seems a bit thin, though it is about 1.5x-2x thicker than my 7yr old Albino King, but I expected it to be heavier than it looks and feels...the seller's pics don't depict the true size. The seller was feeding it small rats bi-weekly, and her sister was only feeding it monthly, which sounds like she was starving it, but I could be wrong. Once I get your feedback, I'll adjust accordingly.
Old 05-10-17, 10:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

A small rat every 2-4 weeks for an adult JCP of that size doesn't seem like enough food to me. Obviously the animal can survive but is it thriving at or near it's full potential? I probably feed my snakes a bit more liberally than some but my carpets are usually eating small rats every 7 days at 6 months old or roughly 350g.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
EL Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 07:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
Kinghornii aren't illegal in Europe as far as I know so long as they're CB. they're certainly not illegal in the UK just very few people work with them. They job longer be exported from Australia and I don't think you can take them from the wild if you live there but you can still own CB ones to the best of my knowledge.
I was referring to them being imported and taken from the wild. I actually had no idea anyone was working with CB ones!!! (The only ones I have ever heard of in a private collection were of an illegally imported pair kicking around in France) Any idea of anyone working with them? I'd pay a kings ransom for a pair hahah.
Old 05-10-17, 11:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I was referring to them being imported and taken from the wild. I actually had no idea anyone was working with CB ones!!! (The only ones I have ever heard of in a private collection were of an illegally imported pair kicking around in France) Any idea of anyone working with them? I'd pay a kings ransom for a pair hahah.
I've asked a scrub breeder I know if he knows of anyone working with them currently. Does it have to be kinghorni or are there other sub sp. you'd be interested in.
Old 05-11-17, 02:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

Check out this guy on YouTube, he seems to have a good collection of different scrubs

https://youtu.be/bl1Bxn9-I6c
Old 05-11-17, 04:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
I've asked a scrub breeder I know if he knows of anyone working with them currently. Does it have to be kinghorni or are there other sub sp. you'd be interested in.

I used to have a few Barnecks years ago and loved them. I've been looking at maybe getting some highlands but I've been really focused on retics the past few years. If I could get a hold of kinghorni pair I'd def bring scrubs back into my collection!! And thank you for the YouTube link. I know DM exotics works with a lot of imported scrubs but they seem to be only southerns, barnecks, highlands and tanimbars. Scrubs are fading out which is a shame I haven't even seen a mollucan in years.....they are truly amazing animals.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-11-17, 05:04 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I used to have a few Barnecks years ago and loved them. I've been looking at maybe getting some highlands but I've been really focused on retics the past few years. If I could get a hold of kinghorni pair I'd def bring scrubs back into my collection!! And thank you for the YouTube link. I know DM exotics works with a lot of imported scrubs but they seem to be only southerns, barnecks, highlands and tanimbars. Scrubs are fading out which is a shame I haven't even seen a mollucan in years.....they are truly amazing animals.
There's a Facebook page for scrubs, I've definitely seen a few owners with Mollucan,s on there. Scrubs are one of the snakes that I had a chance to get and deeply regret not doing so
Old 05-11-17, 08:17 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave himself View Post
There's a Facebook page for scrubs, I've definitely seen a few owners with Mollucan,s on there. Scrubs are one of the snakes that I had a chance to get and deeply regret not doing so
Like I said earlier I am more of a retic guy, but I wasn't always haha. Scrubs were my main focus for years and they truely are incredible. They aren't the biggest python but my god they are the most impressive. They are gorgeous and seeing them navigate effortlessly and with grace and power is breathtaking. If you get the opertunity to find a young one for sure pick it up!!
Old 05-11-17, 11:19 AM   #28 (permalink)

Here are a few first pics in the new viv...

I was wondering about the concave areas between the spine and the sides...is that evidence of malnutrition or just my imagination? Again, mostly experience with Colubrids and a single BP, but the BP doesn't exhibit the same "hollow" look I see with this CP.
Old 05-11-17, 11:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Your carpet doesn't look emaciated to me Scuba. Carpets are somewhat slender snakes. I do think a small rat is too small of a meal for your guy based on his age and size. My carpets are eating medium or large rats at age 2. If you think he's a little too thin you can increase his prey size and feeding frequency until he fills out a bit more. Try feeding him every 7-10 days instead of every 2-4 weeks. I usually feed my carpets every 10-14 days once they turn 2.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
EL Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 12:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

My opinion:

- That looks like a jungle x coastal cross.

-Snake is in great condition, but I would be feeding medium or large rats every 10 days

Congrats on the new addition!
Andy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads