border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-16, 08:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Re: Teddy updates and pics

Also food.

Ok, no more updates for a while unless something significant happens.
sockSnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-16, 12:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

He's looking good after shed . Good to hear re bulb. Very nice snake...
Old 11-30-16, 09:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

This guy is growing really quickly. He's up to 100g now. He was 62g when I got him and I've only had him for like 3 weeks. So apparently he's retaining about half the weight of the food I've fed him so far? That's kind of insane. Have your carpets grown like this?

Today he took his first rat with absolutely no fuss. I ended up skipping the fuzzies and just getting him the smallest rat pups at the store. They actually looked like a good size for him girth wise, which is kind of crazy because it was pretty much the same size as the adult mouse my 300g corn snake got today. Also, watching him haul that food baby up onto the branch was entertaining.

I was feeding them both every ~8 days, but I'm thinking about pushing it back to every ~10.

Old 11-30-16, 11:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Glad he took the rat without issue sock. It sounds like he's growing well. My young carpets usually grow pretty quickly too. My jungle was 7 weeks old when I got him on 9/22/15.. He weighed 31g. He was up to 55g on 10/29/15 and 134g on 12/27/15. That's a tad more than quadruple his arrival date weight. The last time I weighed him was 8/20/16 and he was 1020g. Some breeders feed a bit more sparingly to keep their overhead down. Once we get them on a more frequent feeding regiment they usually gain size quickly. I probably feed my new carpets a little more often than you do. I feed them every 5-7 days for thier first year, every 7-10 days for their 2nd year, and every 10-14 days after that. Keep sharing those pics
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
EL Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-16, 06:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
You could certainly feed him 2 or 3 each time, when you have similar-size rats available feed a mouse then follow up quickly with a rat while he's still in feeding mode. My baby carpet was taking hopper mice as a baby, and I was feeding him 1-2 adult mice weekly until he escaped his tank and ate a tub full of breeding mice. The 6 pregnant females went first, and I found him with the single male still in coils. I wondered where he was going to put that one, lol. After that I moved him to small rats, he hasn't had mice since then.
Hahahaahha that's funny. I assume the rats were all dead before he found them?
jossh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 01-05-17, 09:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Teddy officially weighs twice as much as when I first got him. I got a picture of him in the container he came him, but it's hard to tell if he looks much different. He does seem to fill out the bigger hide better though. Also, he just shed again yesterday and is now all shiny and new.

When he sheds, he tries to see how many things he can wrap around to make it as hard as possible for me to pull it out.

Old 01-05-17, 10:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

That's one smokin jungle sock! I love his banding. Those colors are poppin already. Winner winner!
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
Old 01-06-17, 04:32 AM   #23 (permalink)

Yep, have to agree with Ziggy, those colours (UK spelling lol) are fabulous, beautiful snake
Old 01-06-17, 09:10 AM   #24 (permalink)

Thank you! He looks so amazing after sheds. I just wish he didn't love hiding so much. I get the impression his colors will be fading by the time he's bigger and more confident.

I don't know if there's anything I can do to make him feel more comfortable with being out. Maybe covering up the glass sides?
Old 01-06-17, 09:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

@ sock- his colors shouldn't start to fade for several years. In fact they should continue to get brighter for a while yet. Don't worry about him hiding so much right now. He'll start perching and roaming his tank more as he acclimates to his new home. You are right though, covering the sides of his tank might help him feel more secure.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-06-17, 10:21 AM   #26 (permalink)

That's a beautiful jungle. I agree with everyone above about the colors being bright already. Definite some more to go with this one.
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
SWDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-17, 07:14 PM   #27 (permalink)

Teddy's big boy cage came in today. It took AP almost 14 weeks to ship this to me, which is alright since I don't strictly need it yet, but that is about the longest I've ever had to wait for something to get shipped. The cats were all up in it the whole time we were putting it together. The cage is comically big for Teddy. It's a T12 and he's a 165g noodle. I wanted to take a picture, but the sealant is curing. He's 3ft 4in now (9in longer than 2.5 months ago), so if you follow the length+width cage rule, he has technically outgrown his 18x18x18in cube. I'll probably hold off on moving him over until his next cage clean in a couple weeks and do a dry run of the setup shortly before that.

I'm kind of surprised he hasn't shed more times. I've had him for 3+ months now and his weight is 2.5x what it used to be, but he's only shed twice.

Some context for his size. The pictures are a little exaggerated since he's all curled up like a pretend chondro in the first one, but he is noticeably thicker and stronger.

Here's him being a sandwich, taken today.

Also, just wanted to mention: Zig, your jungle looks so much like mine. Your thread is locked so I can't reply to it, but all your carpets are so pretty.
Old 02-18-17, 07:17 PM   #28 (permalink)

He also perches a lot more nowadays. Pretty much every day I get back from work I find him up there. He's still a spaz, but he seems braver than before.
Old 02-18-17, 11:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Your jungle looks awesome sock! Are you going to divide his T12 or give him the whole thing?
Old 02-19-17, 12:11 AM   #30 (permalink)

Thanks Zig. Funny thing about that is I originally meant to buy a divider with the cage from AP, but then thought I wouldn't need it because I was just going to get him a smaller cage. Apparently I greatly underestimated the size difference between these. I mean I knew the dimensions but never bothered to picture it. It'll be a long time before he's big enough to really warrant a 4x2x2. I'm now thinking about making a makeshift divider with the packing styrofoam or just keeping him in the smaller enclosure for a little longer.
Login to remove ads