border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-17, 02:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Re: Questions from a beginner

Hi again!

So I did a bit of reading and saw it's ok to feed a snake it's next meal even if it hasn't pooped the last. So since today was technically feeding day, I decided to feed snek (I have been calling him that way too much, haha) and clean his cage. He also got an upgrade from his previous set up - I swapped out/added a few things!

The first time I fed him, I did it in his cage. It seems people have varying opinions on whether to do this in or out of their normal habitat. I decided this time to do it in one of those "critter keepers" I bought for that purpose. If you happened to read my intro thread you'll know our first feeding was...interesting. This time I managed to pull it off no problem - he ate it head first this time (whew) and instead of about an hour and 15 minutes, he got it down in about 20 minutes. Go team!

As for his home, I noticed he was spending almost all of his time in the crack at the top of the tank near the light. I realized after awhile that this meant (maybe) that he wasn't feeling warm enough in the rest of the tank despite my temp readings being within the normal range. So today I went and got new bedding, cleaner, a UTH, some fake foliage, a new water dish and a new hide (since he could give an f about the one I chose a couple weeks ago). The minute I put him in, he slid under the bedding. I'm guessing I won't see him for a couple days since he just ate. Here's what it looks like. I hope it's satisfactory so far!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s1.jpg (285.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg s2.jpg (389.9 KB, 25 views)
saturnascends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 02:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Looks good to me... I feed all my guys in their cages...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boy friend...
sattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 03:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Weird...that's almost exactly my set up. Only the cave on the right is just a single, hollowed out rock. Strange that two different people would have the same looking tank.
Kathryntheclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 03:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryntheclean View Post
Weird...that's almost exactly my set up. Only the cave on the right is just a single, hollowed out rock. Strange that two different people would have the same looking tank.
Perhaps we just have good taste
Old 03-08-17, 03:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

Whenever I put new substrate in, about half the snakes will burrow. One had a grossly undersized hide when we first got him. Because he was just a babysitting charge, didn't want to get him all new stuff only for him to not be able to use it at the end. So we put new, different, bedding in, and he literally burrrowed his body under the bedding, with just his head buried under the hide. I should've taken pics. It was hilarious. We got him a new hide the next week.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
GyGbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 03-08-17, 04:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Your enclosure looks nice. I'd ditch the half log and add a different hide on the cool side but that's about it. I assume your uth is on a thermostat.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
EL Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 04:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

GyG, I know that feeling if not having the camera when something good happens!

And Ziggy, thank you! I have mixed feelings on the log anyways, since so far he doesn't care about it. I did not know I needed a thermostat! Thanks for pointing that out. Do you have any ones/brands you can recommend?
Old 03-08-17, 04:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Thermostats are the most important piece of equipment you'll need when keeping reptiles imo. It allows you to control the temps instead of just measuring them. An inexpensive but reliable brand that I trust is Hydrofarm. I've used them for years without issues. The higher end Herpstats and Vivarium Electronics have more bells and whistles.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTP...arm+thermostat

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2AN6PFBBT5UNY
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
Old 03-08-17, 04:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Awesome, thank you again! I will purchase one of these ASAP. I think I saw this in another thread you commented on but want to be sure - the probe goes between the UTH and the outside glass? So I need to peel the pad a little bit off the glass to put it in there?
Old 03-08-17, 04:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

You're right saturn. You may want to unplug your uth until you get your t-stat and just use your heat bulb for now. A lot of those uths will get hot enough to burn your snake.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-08-17, 04:44 PM   #26 (permalink)

Will do! Too bad I didn't know this beforehand, then I could have done the sticking all in one shot. I hope peeling the UTH off a bit won't ruin the adhesion once I press it back into place...but I'll see what happens! Luckily Amazon Prime will have it to me by Friday
Old 03-08-17, 04:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Yeah I've gotten away from the stick on uths like Zoomed. They get way too hot and it's hard to transfer them between enclosures. For future reference check out the Ultratherm uths. They barely get over 100F even without a thermostat. I just tape them on with aluminum tape. If you're ordering from Amazon and have an extra $20 a temp gun is another great investment. This allows you to accurately measure temps anywhere in the enclosure.

Ultratherm Heat Pads

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=ir+temp+gun
Old 03-08-17, 04:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

I see myself spending more money on upgrades soon! Ah, the newbie trial and error...
Old 03-08-17, 06:43 PM   #29 (permalink)

Is it bad that I'm already thinking about snake #2?

Last edited by EL Ziggy; 03-08-17 at 07:37 PM..
Old 03-08-17, 07:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Oh, if only I had more room, and less husband! or at least one that's not scared of snakes!
Kathryntheclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads