border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-17, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

King Snake skin problem help

I own a Mexican Black king snake. He's around 2 1/2 years old, and I've owned him since he was 4-months old. He's been healthy since I've owned him and he's never had any problems.
Snake: imgur.com/a/7QimK

However he has shown something on his skin recently I've never seen before. Any idea what this is? Do I need to take him to the vet?
Skin 1: imgur.com/a/1YLGP
Skin 2: imgur.com/a/P1Rvj

Here is his tank (lamp heat at day, heating pad under tank at night)
Warm side (80), cool side (70), humidity (30) (temps slightly lower at night)
Tank: imgur.com/a/4nhTH
TheProgramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 02-19-17, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
TRD

Re: King Snake skin problem help

MBK is love and welcome to this forum

Looks to me like damage from tearing his body under something heavy but it's a bit hard to judge from pictures alone. Does he have missing scales on more places on his body or only there? Hows his general health and activity? Does he do anything different than before -f.e. always on the hot side while he normally changes between hot and cold, more lethargic, not striking his food as he used to, etc.

There are some bacterial infections (f.e. Salmonella ssp.) that can cause scales to drop, rot, etc, but generally look much more severe than your pictures. See when he sheds if it gets worse or better. If anything, it's best to visit a vet when you see something turn worse over time.

Also hot side can be 86-88 F, and cool around 78-79 F, with a night drop to the mid 70s. 30% RH seems a tad low on those temps you maintain, but shouldn't be too bad (I keep mine at around 30-40%, but at higher temps, and I have more humid places for him to go since I have a planted vivarium). At least this is my experience.

Last edited by TRD; 02-19-17 at 05:33 PM..
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll make sure his terrarium decorations are more secure, and I'm going to give his tank a thorough cleaning today. We'll see if he looks better after his next shed.

It's been getting warmer by me, so I've been opening the windows letting fresh air, and he's more active than ever now so maybe he was just getting too much stale air?
Old 03-18-17, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good news! After a thorough terrarium cleaning, securing of decorations, and a shed, his skin looks healthy. Thanks for your help

imgur.com/a/09LW7
Old 03-18-17, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Beautiful MBK. I'm glad he's looking better after his shed. I agree with bumping those temps up a bit too. My kings were kept at 88-90.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
EL Ziggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads

Tags
king snake, problems, scales, skin