border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-16, 04:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Re: Desert king snake

Well he tried up but I didn't have any logs in place so after testing every inch of soil, checking the heat in various locations, and leaning off the rock ledge to drink water, he disappeared and I learned they burrow great. It was amusing to watch his head pop out occasionally. Unfortunately I can't load pics right now but will. I need some better night viewing light because he is extremely active and uses all of a 29g but you won't see more than his snout until evening. He perfectly matches the black and tan soil/sand combo I decided on to the point I wouldn't have gotten a pic of him peaking out of his hole at all if I didn't catch the glint of his scales and the camera flash lit him up. He also comes out for awhile if I mist and right now he's just chilling between a log and his hole. I can always tell when he comes out because my cat just goes crazy trying to follow him around the whole enclosure and nearly falling off edge of the furniture. Fish tanks have nothing on snakes when it comes to cat entertainment.
akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Old 12-24-16, 02:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Sounds like he's settling in nicely.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
EL Ziggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-16, 05:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane View Post
Reason why my questions beyond basic care usually go to the bioactive group
Bio active enviornment is great but it's still a confined space. One that in spite of any cleanup crews should still have the added support of "spot cleaning " by the keeper. These enclosures are not "set it and forget it" no matter what your keeping preference. Good looking Lampropeltis g.
Albert Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-16, 11:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

So I posed the "set it up and forget it" argument and asked how often people spot clean to the bio-active group and got "spot clean?" "that's why I went bio-active". Sometimes people said they had bones to remove or similar things that would take forever to break down when their reptile did not eat something whole. Otherwise some enclosures have been run for years with nothing removed or wiped off (I said to exclude the water dish in my questions). Some say they have entire chicks or dead adult rats that went uneaten get cleaned by the cleanup crew before they went bad. I would say if you can't "set it up and forget it" (beyond misting, feeding the cleanup crew, and refreshing the cleanup crew in tanks with things that eat them) you haven't finished setting it up and something is still missing or unbalanced. That's the point of all the thought being put into the design and even working out the behavior of the particular species to subspecies of snake. I also use the largest commonly suggested enclosure to twice that size depending. I have yet to remove snake poop from a bio-active tank. I wiped the glass a few times in my dekayi tank because he goes through the water dish, then the soil along the glass, up over a stick, and back down wiping the side the whole time. That's pretty much it except for a setup mistake I had to redo where I ignored advice and standard designs. Like I've said in another thread. I can only tell where I am so far. In several years my answers may change but the point of bio-active is to "set it up and forget it". It might take months and maintaining separate cleanup crew cultures to get there but there is agreement that is the goal.
Login to remove ads