border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-08, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2008
Posts: 4
Country:
My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

Hello,

I just joined today. Anyhoo, I have a 2 year old ball python. He used to have a ravenous appetite and did quite well with live rats. About 6 months ago, he just stopped eating and I don't know why. He is still active, but whenever I put a rat in he's just not interested. I have also tried the pre-killed frozen rats (thawed out of course). Any suggestions? How long can he go without food? I'm worried..thanks.

Kat
Rootsy is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 07-31-08, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Senior Member
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 29
Posts: 14,672
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

Aslong as he isn't losing weight and he's still getting water he should be fine. Sometimes, ball pythons randomly go off feed. Especially if it was wild caught. Try bumping it's humidity up.
Aaron_S is offline  
Old 08-01-08, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2008
Posts: 4
Country:
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

Thanks Aaron..
Rootsy is offline  
Old 08-01-08, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun-2008
Posts: 64
Country:
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

sometimes with ball pythons you can try using an inverted CLAY flower pot as a hiding house. just cut a hole in the side of the flower pot for the python to go in and out . the clay in the flower pot smells like the clay in the termite mounds where w/c ball pythons are captured in Africa so they feel at home.
snakemaster1 is offline  
Old 08-02-08, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Genius
 
mykee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Age: 39
Posts: 6,332
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

What Aaron said. Ball pythons stop eating. That's what they do. If he hasn't lost a substantial amount of weight, don't worry. If you are worried, try tossing a smaller live rat in there SUPERVISED for a while. That may kick back in his feeding response.
__________________
www.strictlyballs.ca

www.ReptileEnterprisesSucks.com coming soon....
mykee is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 08-03-08, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2005
Posts: 42
Country:
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster1 View Post
sometimes with ball pythons you can try using an inverted CLAY flower pot as a hiding house. just cut a hole in the side of the flower pot for the python to go in and out . the clay in the flower pot smells like the clay in the termite mounds where w/c ball pythons are captured in Africa so they feel at home.
Interesting, i have never heard tell of that, makes sense though, good idea
__________________
corns, kings, jcp's, gtp's, rosy boa's
crackedcorn is offline  
Old 08-03-08, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Senior Member
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 29
Posts: 14,672
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

I have never heard of this clay pot feeling like home. Ball pythons, captive bred, do not know what a termite mound is. They know, dark, hard places that make them feel secure. That is what the clay pot gives. They do make good hides for snakes. Again though, a captive bred ball python, which a lot are, do not know what the smell of a termite mound is.
Aaron_S is offline  
Old 09-01-08, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
IJLVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun-2008
Posts: 11
Country:
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

Like everyone said....especially with Ball Pythons, going off food isn't uncommon and is sometimes the rule rather than the exception.

One of my Carpet pythons who was a strong feeder decided to stop eating after i'd put her in an enclosure that was too large for her....even putting her back in her old cage didn't work.

Finally after a couple months, I tried putting her with her prey in a vented pot with some paper towel and put the cover over....an hour later the food was gone and she ate again the same way four days later.
IJLVR is offline  
Old 09-02-08, 06:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2008
Posts: 4
Country:
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJLVR View Post
Like everyone said....especially with Ball Pythons, going off food isn't uncommon and is sometimes the rule rather than the exception.

One of my Carpet pythons who was a strong feeder decided to stop eating after i'd put her in an enclosure that was too large for her....even putting her back in her old cage didn't work.

Finally after a couple months, I tried putting her with her prey in a vented pot with some paper towel and put the cover over....an hour later the food was gone and she ate again the same way four days later.
Thank you for the insight. I'm wondering if the enclosure is the problem. I had moved him into a larger enclosure and since then, he hasn't eaten. I didn't connect the 2 until just reading your post!

How big is the vented pot you used in relation to your snake?
Rootsy is offline  
Old 09-02-08, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Senior Member
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 29
Posts: 14,672
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

You don't have to use a vented pot. Anything that is dark and the snake can breathe in will suffice.
Aaron_S is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 09-05-08, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
IJLVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun-2008
Posts: 11
Country:
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Thank you for the insight. I'm wondering if the enclosure is the problem. I had moved him into a larger enclosure and since then, he hasn't eaten. I didn't connect the 2 until just reading your post!

How big is the vented pot you used in relation to your snake?
Aaron is right

Try something just big enough for the snake to fit in the bottom without coiling over itself....anything that is dark and ventilated is good. Leave it there overnight with the prey and resist the urge to disturb and check to see if its working.

check in the morning

If you're snake went off food right after you changed enclosures i'm betting this does the trick.
IJLVR is offline  
Old 09-19-08, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2008
Posts: 4
Country:
Re: My snake hasn't eaten in 6 months..?

My snake finally ate! Thank to all of you for your help.
Rootsy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-13, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0