border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-17, 04:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Re: Where to get Children's Python?

Skip- Your UTH should cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the enclosure floor. Mine are probably closer to 1/3. I prefer Ultratherm UTHs over Zoomed because they rarely get over 100F even without a thermostat (which you'll definitely need). I'd probably invest in a 2nd UTH if I were moving the animal to a larger enclosure later. I also use a low watt infrared bulb to boost the ambient temps for my pythons during the winter months. Your snake may appreciate a perch or basking rock placed underneath the heating bulb if you use one. The best thermostats are made by Herpstat or Vivarium Electronics. You can program these for night time temp drops if you want. I've been using the less expensive, but reliable, Jump Start thermostats for years without issues.

Ultratherm Heat Pads

https://www.amazon.com/Herpstat-1/dp...words=herpstat

https://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-ETL-Ce...QB1QHVHMREZ4AR
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
Old 02-06-17, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the help Ziggy.

So a 11x11 Ultratherm should work for a 30x12 footprint tank?
I'm planning on putting some sort of climbing perch in on the hot side.

The jump start was reccomended elsewhere as well. I think I'll go with that. If I have a bulb and UTH do I need to have them both plugged into a thermostat? Or will the thermostat just on the UTH work?

What substrate is reccomended if it will need to hold a bit of humidity? My house stays at 40%, but I know a bulb will lower that a little bit.
Old 02-06-17, 08:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Re: Where to get C theyhildren's Python?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper7 View Post
Another question... If I use a heat pad is there any point in putting a basking rock in? Will the UTH heat up a rock like a basking light will?
The heating pad should be sufficient... Heat rocks are a big no,no for snakes... They can cause severe burns... I am using mostly heating pads on rheostats right now, which is not necessary the best way to go... I am planning to go to melamine cages with a HERPSTAT 6 running RBI Radiant Heat Panels when I can afford it...

Just make sure it has a warm hide and a cold hide to go to so it can regulate it's temperature... When I pick up my Jungle carpet python and my Taiwanese beauty snake, both had nothing but a light bulb for heat right in the middle of the tank with one hide under it; Their cages were filthy... You could tell they lost interest in the snakes... Lucky they both were health... Just shows you how tough they are...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 02-06-17, 08:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rest assured I would never use a heat rock! Those things are pure evil!! Lol

I meant a normal rock under the bulb. Will a snake get ample belly heat if on a perch 6 inches above the heat pad?

My #1 choice would be radiant heat panels, but I can't afford them at the moment. I will have a hide on both sides of the tank
Old 02-07-17, 09:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the help Ziggy.

So a 11x11 Ultratherm should work for a 30x12 footprint tank?
I'm planning on putting some sort of climbing perch in on the hot side.

The jump start was reccomended elsewhere as well. I think I'll go with that. If I have a bulb and UTH do I need to have them both plugged into a thermostat? Or will the thermostat just on the UTH work?

What substrate is reccomended if it will need to hold a bit of humidity? My house stays at 40%, but I know a bulb will lower that a little bit.
You could use the 11x11 or even the 11x6 UTH. My UTH is plugged into a thermostat and my red heat bulb has a dimmer.

Substrate is up to you Skip. I like the look of the eco-earth/coco husk but I use aspen sani-chips for all my pythons. I'm not too concerned about humidity. I live in GA and the humidity ranges from 30-65%. I don't mist cages or offer humid hides to any of my snakes and I've not had any bad sheds or RIs. (6) of my snakes are in pvc enclosures, I have (1) in a tub, and (1) in a 40g tank. I believe in many cases humidity "requirements" are overblown and as long as an animal is well hydrated they'll be fine.

The snake won't get belly heat from the UTH when it's perching. It'll have to lay on the floor of the enclosure for that. My pythons are usually on their hot spots during the day or if if they're digesting or shedding. Otherwise they prefer to bask under the light.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
Login to remove ads
Old 02-07-17, 12:08 PM   #21 (permalink)

Good to know ziggy. Would you mind posting a picture of your setup and how the heat pad is placed?

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions, I just want to make sure my new little guy will have the best home possible. I'm happy to answer any beardie questions you may have ��
Old 02-07-17, 12:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

I've changed some things around and don't have any recent pics of my setup Skip but these might give you some ideas. I have my albino carpet and olive python in a split AP T8. I have my UTH centered to give both snakes a hot spot and I have heat bulbs on both sides to boost the ambient temps. When they get large enough for their own enclosures I'll be using RHPs for most of my carpets.

Old 02-07-17, 06:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

Thanks for the pics. Those are some beautiful snakes btw!
Old 02-08-17, 09:15 AM   #24 (permalink)

Another question: Can mites be transferred from snake to beardie or vice versa?

My vitticeps does not have mites, but I know there is a possibility of a new snake having them. I plan on quarantining and checking substrate/water for them, but I want to know if a new snake needs to be kept in a completely different room from the beardie.
Old 02-08-17, 09:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Yes snake mites can harm a lizard as well. All new acquisitions should be kept in a seperate area for a while until acclimated and you're sure they are 100% healthy, so you're on the right track with thinking that way.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-08-17, 09:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Thanks andy. I've been fortunate in never having to deal with mites. The new snake will be housed in a used tank... a bleach solution should kill any mites, no? Will mites be fairly obvious if the snake is kept on papertowel and given a white water bowl?
Old 02-08-17, 11:51 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattva View Post
Have you considered rescuing one off craigslist? They are usually quite plentiful in my area... I can see that you have a lot of pythons on craigslist in your area; are you set on it being a children's?
I would not recommend that any beginner in the hobby picks up a snake off of craigslist. There are too many issue someone with no experience could easily miss.

Quote:
Another question: Can mites be transferred from snake to beardie or vice versa?

My vitticeps does not have mites, but I know there is a possibility of a new snake having them. I plan on quarantining and checking substrate/water for them, but I want to know if a new snake needs to be kept in a completely different room from the beardie.
Quote:
Thanks andy. I've been fortunate in never having to deal with mites. The new snake will be housed in a used tank... a bleach solution should kill any mites, no? Will mites be fairly obvious if the snake is kept on papertowel and given a white water bowl?
As long as you keep them in separate rooms and follow a good self cleanliness protocol, then your other animals should be safe. It may be worthwhile to come up with a treatment plan ahead of time, just in case of the worst. I have heard good things about the Chicago reptile house, but just make sure to make sure to ask plenty of questions. You definitely want to know the source of the snake, how well it has been feeding, and the prior set up it was kept in. Bleach will kill the mites but you must be sure to thoroughly rinse it out after as it can also harm your snake. I recommend you pick up some f10 cleaner, it is what most vets and shelters use to disinfect, just be sure to follow the directions. Adult mites will be visible on the paper towel but babies will not be. It may take a few weeks to see anything even if they are present. Most people recommend a quarantine of at least a month, up to three, for captive bred animals. For wild caught, captive hatched, or anything other then domestic propagation a quarantine of even longer is called for.
Old 02-08-17, 01:57 PM   #28 (permalink)

Good to know about the mites, thanks. I'll just go with three months then. It won't kill me to have him in another room-- and its not worth the health of another animal. She I avoid handling the snake during a quarantine period? Dunno why I didn't think of F10SC... I already have a bottle in the house.

I did send an email earlier asking who produced the snakes and what their health guarantee/policy is. They did say on the phone that they wont sell a snake that isn't feeding normally.
As you can see, I am full of questions I'll submit the shop to the same torture you guys are getting. I'll do some more research on mites, and ask the shop what they think as well.

I really appreciate all of the help. I recently read through the long thread on respecting other people's posts. I share most of the sentiments posted in the replies.I assure you that I have done research on my own, and that I am not trying to be a drag. I just felt as though I should run ideas past people who actually have experience... hence this forum. On that topic, how hard is it to "spot clean" a poop on sani chips? Can I just scoop out the dirtied ones? Or do I have to disinfect everything.
Old 02-09-17, 03:11 PM   #29 (permalink)

Is paper towel enough of a barrier between the snake and heat pad to avoid burns?
Old 02-09-17, 03:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Sani chips clump well and only require spot cleaning. Once the cage starts to smell, or once every month and a half or so, a complete bedding change should be done.

As far as the heat pad concern, it should be hooked up to a thermostat. Your snake won't get burned by something that is the right temperature. No heat pad of any kind is safe to use without a way to control it's output.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread