Originally Posted by Corey209
I hope you're not referring to me, I've never asked about heating and I know I need a thermostat. I haven't been able to afford one but I will be getting one within the next two weeks.
Lets put it like this.
This site has a huge amount of great infornation. If your keeping snakes information is your best friend. A few key points that people sometimes learn the hardway.
1) spraying stuff untested onto your snake is not a good idea. This includes unknown mix ratios of mite killer as well as oils or lotions.
2) never use a tank with a screen lid. Its ok to cover the screen to get the humidity up. Snakes that need real high humidity need snake enclosures and fish tanks don't cut it. Which leads to another rule....
3) don't buy pets if you can't afford to keep them. Its unfair to the pet. It's not a bad thing to realize a snake or a certain type may be expensive for you. Not having money for food or a proper enclosure ends up bad for the snake. Cutting corners is not the option. Wait to buy an animal until you have everything it needs to thrive not just survive.
4) herps are a long term commitment. Could be 25 yrs. If you feel your getting one for now and if it gets to big or to expensive to feed or if you lose interest you could just sell it or trade it don't get one. These are animals that deserve your commitment at 100% always. They in most cases would never have been born other than people wanting them in the first place.
5) be safe. No snakes around the neck for you. No live feeding or using uncontrolled heat source for the snake. No snake is fun if it hurts you or you hurt it.
6) find a vet that is a herp vet right away before you need it. Figure out transportation before you need to. You owe it to your pets to have emergency care imediately if needed.
7) ensure your snake is secure at all times. Wether it's inside their enclosure or in a bag make sure it can't get out. Unless you live where the snake is native to it will die if it escapes.
I will stop here. Ask yourself how many of the above have you broken? We preach good practices and when people come on here and blatantly admit to a bunch of the wrong stuff it upsets us a bit. Failing to change/listen or doing even worse stuff just makes me and quite a few other members just facepalm in discust. Some of us are more colourful in how we show our dissatisfaction than others. Do you understand where the negativity is coming from yet? We are not bad people , we are upset with bad keeping.