border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-12, 11:54 PM   #61 (permalink)
Service Veteran
 
RandyRhoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr-2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,071
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceCalamity View Post
Oh looky. There was no point in commenting that the device itself was the same as I wasn't commenting on the device itself at all. I was commenting on the use of the device. Can you follow that?

~Maggot
Ahh that rebelious argue with everything teenager phase. I remember my first beer. You see the issue is I said the device is the same, then you claim I was saying the use is the same, when never did I say that. You can comment all you want that they would use a different technique, but that's clearly not what you were doing.Can you follow that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceCalamity View Post
They wouldn't pick it up by its throat and take a picture. So no, it would not have been the same thing.


~Maggot

You see, regardless of how they used it, it would still be the same device, which is what I said. If you wanted to suggest the technique would have been different, you could have done that, not reply to what I said saying the "same" thing. Your comment does not fit without going off mine. Hard to follow I know, it's complex stuff.

Last edited by RandyRhoads; 12-13-12 at 12:14 AM..
RandyRhoads is offline  
Old 12-13-12, 12:10 AM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
EmbraceCalamity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct-2012
Age: 28
Posts: 1,657
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
Ahh that rebelious argue with everything teenager phase. I remember my first beer. You see the issue is I said the device is the same, then you claim I was saying the use is the same, when never did I say that. You can comment all you want that they would use a different technique, but that's clearly not what you were doing.Can you follow that?
No, because 1) I'm not a teenager, 2) I don't drink beer, and 3) You're obviously seriously misunderstanding what I'm saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
You see, regardless of how they used it, it would still be the same device, which is what I said.
Reread the last post again. If you still can't get it, then don't worry about it. I'm far too tired and irritable.

Though I did assume you had a part in the pictures, so on that, I'll admit to being wrong and apologise.

~Maggot
__________________
Announcing "I'm offended" is basically telling the world you can't control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.
EmbraceCalamity is offline  
Old 12-13-12, 12:19 AM   #63 (permalink)
Service Veteran
 
RandyRhoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr-2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,071
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceCalamity View Post
No, because 1) I'm not a teenager, 2) I don't drink beer, and 3) You're obviously seriously misunderstanding what I'm saying.Reread the last post again. If you still can't get it, then don't worry about it. I'm far too tired and irritable.

Though I did assume you had a part in the pictures, so on that, I'll admit to being wrong and apologise.

~Maggot
1) Then stop acting like it.
2) Start
3) I get what you were TRYING to say, but you made a mistake in saying it, from misinterpreting what I said and didn't say. If you can't understand it, I could break down the gramatical content of the back and forth commenting to dumb it down for you, but, i'm not. I guess i'll fall back on what you do when there is reason involved and say i'm "too sick" or "too tired" to argue with your idiocy. Have a goodnight.
RandyRhoads is offline  
Old 12-13-12, 12:21 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
EmbraceCalamity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct-2012
Age: 28
Posts: 1,657
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
1) Then stop acting like it.
2) Start
3) I get what you were TRYING to say, but you made a mistake in saying it, from misinterpreting what I said and didn't say. If you can't understand it, I could break down the gramatical content of the back and forth commenting to dumb it down for you, but, i'm not. I guess i'll fall back on what you do when there is reason involved and say i'm "too sick" or "too tired" to argue with your idiocy. Have a goodnight.
Night, hun.

~Maggot
__________________
Announcing "I'm offended" is basically telling the world you can't control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.
EmbraceCalamity is offline  
Old 12-13-12, 03:43 AM   #65 (permalink)
Village Idiot
 
KORBIN5895's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct-2011
Age: 34
Posts: 7,849
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceCalamity View Post
It's an American thing. No one calls them opossums here.

~Maggot
Please stop trying to be the spokesperson for Americans. I am an American and I say opossum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
You're not dealing with a possum. If you were you wouldn't need to shoot it at all. I haven't come across any that are terribly fast. For a few bucks you can make an animal control noose with PVC and 3/16 cable. Don't be a moron and shoot things you can't clearly see. And even if you see it, for the love of god don't use a pellet gun... Yes maybe you can land a shot through the eye but possums and raccoons can be the antichrist of slipping away gently. A rabbit may get KTFO from a pellet gun, but try that on a raccon the same size. I've had some run off after 15+ .22 rounds.

PS. Did you eat these birds or just like killing and wasting for the hell of it?
]
I like the control noose plan. I have also seen coons take a lot of lead then charge the shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
my son sleeps all night thankfully but he's stuck to me all day, this is the only time I get a break

you never get any relief? That must terrible!
I have a lot of respect for mothers.
__________________
I used to be a nice guy but that don't get you anywhere. So now I'm just a piece of ****, idiot,
who's too stupid to care.
KORBIN5895 is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 12-13-12, 09:00 AM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov-2012
Posts: 31
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Ok just so everyone knows. I've tried baiting it with net traps. But no luck. And I haven't heard or seen any signs of it(whatever it is) since the skunk killing. So my best guess is it most have moved on. However if I do ever come across it I will kill it with any thing I can.
stevealexo is offline  
Old 12-13-12, 09:01 AM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov-2012
Posts: 31
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

And pellet guns that shoot over 500fps you need a gun licence to have them in Canada.
stevealexo is offline  
Old 12-13-12, 09:02 AM   #68 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Pareeeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb-2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 2,573
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceCalamity View Post
A common name isn't really wrong. People in one place might call something different than people somewhere else. Also:

pos·sum
noun
1. opossum.
2. Australian. any of various phalangers, especially of the genus Trichosurus.

~Maggot
Some people here in Canada wrongfully call them "possums" too, not just Americans.

1. Possum is not the common name.

2.The common name is Virginia Opossum.

3. The scientific name is Didelphis virginiana.

4. The Virginia Opossum is from the order Didelphimoria, while Australian Possums belong to an entirely different order, Diprotodontia.

5. Buy a field guide. You will not find one that says an Opossum is a Possum, since it is scientifically inaccurate.

I suppose you are one of those people who also calls salamanders 'lizards', boas 'pythons' and tortoises 'turtles'.
__________________
~~~~~~~~Pareeeee~~~~~~~~~
0.1 Okeetee Corn, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 Rosy Boa
ParisVaughn.com: Custom Artwork and Portraits
Instagram: pareeeee17
Pareeeee is offline  
Old 12-13-12, 11:14 AM   #69 (permalink)
Village Idiot
 
KORBIN5895's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct-2011
Age: 34
Posts: 7,849
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevealexo View Post
Ok just so everyone knows. I've tried baiting it with net traps. But no luck. And I haven't heard or seen any signs of it(whatever it is) since the skunk killing. So my best guess is it most have moved on. However if I do ever come across it I will kill it with any thing I can.
Something tells me you will just maim yourself.....
__________________
I used to be a nice guy but that don't get you anywhere. So now I'm just a piece of ****, idiot,
who's too stupid to care.
KORBIN5895 is offline  
Old 12-13-12, 11:56 AM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
DragonsEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan-2012
Posts: 638
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
Some people here in Canada wrongfully call them "possums" too, not just Americans.

1. Possum is not the common name.

2.The common name is Virginia Opossum.

3. The scientific name is Didelphis virginiana.

"Possum" IS a common name. You are incorrect to assume there is only ONE "common" name. That would be as inaccurate as to say that "cougar" is THE common name for Puma concolor, when in fact "common" names for Puma concolor includes: Mexican lion, mountain lion, deer tiger, mountain screamer, puma, Florida panther, painter, catamount, slver lion, devil cat, Indian devil, sneak cat, king cat, mountain devil, red tiger, deercat, fire cat, plain lion , grey lion, caracajou, klandagi, catawampus, quinquajou, long tail, and swamp lion (I may have missed a couple). A "common" name is ANY nonscientific name used for an organism in a region/amongst a large group of people that is treated as an acceptable name/identifier. It is because of the potential for confusion and inaccuracy that it is better to utilize the correct (ie. scientific name) for organisms -- whether plant or animal.

Personally, I don't believe in letting a pet out unattended. This would solve the OPs problem without resorting to shooting something. The wild animals were here long before we were. Complaining about wild animals that might harm you unsupervised pet is as idiotic as the morons who level a wild area, build a subdivision, and then bitch that a cougar (Puma concolor) or coyote (Canis latrans) has run off with the family pet, Fluffy. Letting a pet out unsupervised is as irresponsible as doing the same with a toddler. In addition, besides threats from wild animals, unsupervised pets may get stolen, hit by a car, or shot for trespassing on someone else's property. (And yes this last DOES happen.)
__________________
change is the only constant
DragonsEye is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 12-13-12, 03:39 PM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
EmbraceCalamity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct-2012
Age: 28
Posts: 1,657
Country:
Re: Possum threat. Kill it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
"Possum" IS a common name. You are incorrect to assume there is only ONE "common" name. That would be as inaccurate as to say that "cougar" is THE common name for Puma concolor, when in fact "common" names for Puma concolor includes: Mexican lion, mountain lion, deer tiger, mountain screamer, puma, Florida panther, painter, catamount, slver lion, devil cat, Indian devil, sneak cat, king cat, mountain devil, red tiger, deercat, fire cat, plain lion , grey lion, caracajou, klandagi, catawampus, quinquajou, long tail, and swamp lion (I may have missed a couple). A "common" name is ANY nonscientific name used for an organism in a region/amongst a large group of people that is treated as an acceptable name/identifier. It is because of the potential for confusion and inaccuracy that it is better to utilize the correct (ie. scientific name) for organisms -- whether plant or animal.

Personally, I don't believe in letting a pet out unattended. This would solve the OPs problem without resorting to shooting something. The wild animals were here long before we were. Complaining about wild animals that might harm you unsupervised pet is as idiotic as the morons who level a wild area, build a subdivision, and then bitch that a cougar (Puma concolor) or coyote (Canis latrans) has run off with the family pet, Fluffy. Letting a pet out unsupervised is as irresponsible as doing the same with a toddler. In addition, besides threats from wild animals, unsupervised pets may get stolen, hit by a car, or shot for trespassing on someone else's property. (And yes this last DOES happen.)
Agreed. Our cats are let to come in and out unsupervised, and I recognise there's a threat with that. When we have signs of wild animals coming around the house that could kill them (interestingly, they seem to not mind the possums hanging out with them), we try to keep them in more. But they go nuts if we try to keep them in.

Our neighbors called animal control because a bear got into their trash that they left sitting out over night, and I was just like, "Wtf? You moved out to the edge of a huge forest out of town and left your garbage just sitting out all night, and then you bitch because a bear ate it?" I wanted to go slap them across the faces. The officer said we had to stop putting out seed for the birds because the bears would eat it. I saw the bear again a month or so later, and she'd lost a good bit of weight. It was so dry and hot this summer, there wasn't much for them to eat. I felt really bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
Some people here in Canada wrongfully call them "possums" too, not just Americans.

1. Possum is not the common name.

2.The common name is Virginia Opossum.

3. The scientific name is Didelphis virginiana.

4. The Virginia Opossum is from the order Didelphimoria, while Australian Possums belong to an entirely different order, Diprotodontia.

5. Buy a field guide. You will not find one that says an Opossum is a Possum, since it is scientifically inaccurate.

I suppose you are one of those people who also calls salamanders 'lizards', boas 'pythons' and tortoises 'turtles'.
You had really better not use the terms "starfish," "koala bear," "horny toad," or "maned wolf."

~Maggot
__________________
Announcing "I'm offended" is basically telling the world you can't control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

Last edited by EmbraceCalamity; 12-13-12 at 03:50 PM..
EmbraceCalamity is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
guns, kill, pellet guns, possum, trap

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0