border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-12, 11:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
ra94131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul-2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 43
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

I think the biggest problem with glass tanks is that they are frequently marketed/sold as the primary means for housing reptiles when in fact they are just a less desirable alternative to a number of more appropriate choices. They do work for certain animals in certain situations, but even then usually require some modification. They are definitely not the best choice for a new owner or one that doesn't understand their limitations.
ra94131 is offline  
Old 08-06-12, 11:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Service Veteran
 
RandyRhoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr-2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,071
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Great post, any thoughts on that "prevent a mite"? I know it's not entirely legal here because of FDA regs...
RandyRhoads is offline  
Old 08-06-12, 11:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
iBaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug-2012
Location: Cedar City
Posts: 902
Country:
Send a message via Skype™ to iBaman
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra94131 View Post
I think the biggest problem with glass tanks is that they are frequently marketed/sold as the primary means for housing reptiles when in fact they are just a less desirable alternative to a number of more appropriate choices. They do work for certain animals in certain situations, but even then usually require some modification. They are definitely not the best choice for a new owner or one that doesn't understand their limitations.
Exactly. It was my first snake, but I did oodles of research before I got him. After building my retic enclosure, I'll work on one for him...but for now, he does great (he's just a little small for his age, which I don't think is tank related xD)
iBaman is offline  
Old 08-07-12, 12:11 AM   #34 (permalink)
Varanus Queen
 
BarelyBreathing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan-2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,264
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
Great post, any thoughts on that "prevent a mite"? I know it's not entirely legal here because of FDA regs...

Prevent A Mite, when used correctly, can be a blessing. However, many keepers fail to read/follow the directions all the way through, thus subjecting their reptiles (and themselves) to toxic fumes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Whimsical Observer
A seed is a tiny plant, in a box, with its lunch.
BarelyBreathing is offline  
Old 08-07-12, 12:13 AM   #35 (permalink)
Service Veteran
 
RandyRhoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr-2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,071
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Ahh good. So just follow the directions removing all water dishes, wait the correct amount of time and it's all good. Glad to hear. Much easy than buying mite treatments. I've had the same can last me for over a year.
RandyRhoads is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 08-07-12, 12:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
jarich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct-2011
Posts: 2,334
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

I have to disagree with both the negative sand posts and the glass tank posts.

There is nothing about a plastic tub, in and of itself, that holds either heat or humidity better, or makes for a better enclosure. (It might make for an easier enclosure, but that is a different story altogether) The heat retention and humidity you are referring to is the common solid top on the tub, instead of a common screen top on a glass enclosure. Nothing to do with the glass enclosure itself, but the lid. The same holds true for the security of the reptile in glass enclosures. This has to do with the hides and 'furniture' present in the enclosure, and little to do with the glass.

As for the sand causing impaction, this makes little sense either. These animals do not live on tiles and paper towels in the wild; they regularly ingest substrate there. That picture with the impaction shows an unhealthy, obese animal, which at a guess likely means all insects and no vegetable matter. A common malpractice which can lead to a dehydrated animal. Small particulate impactions are usually caused by dehydration or inappropriate heating.
__________________
The plural of anecdote is not data
jarich is offline  
Old 08-07-12, 07:36 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
StudentoReptile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr-2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,877
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarich View Post
I have to disagree with both the negative sand posts and the glass tank posts.

There is nothing about a plastic tub, in and of itself, that holds either heat or humidity better, or makes for a better enclosure. (It might make for an easier enclosure, but that is a different story altogether) The heat retention and humidity you are referring to is the common solid top on the tub, instead of a common screen top on a glass enclosure. Nothing to do with the glass enclosure itself, but the lid. The same holds true for the security of the reptile in glass enclosures. This has to do with the hides and 'furniture' present in the enclosure, and little to do with the glass.

As for the sand causing impaction, this makes little sense either. These animals do not live on tiles and paper towels in the wild; they regularly ingest substrate there. That picture with the impaction shows an unhealthy, obese animal, which at a guess likely means all insects and no vegetable matter. A common malpractice which can lead to a dehydrated animal. Small particulate impactions are usually caused by dehydration or inappropriate heating.
Ditto.

Again, I would like to reiterate that I believe this thread is devoted to products that are just universally bad or hazardous across the board for any or all herps.


For example: heat rocks, compact florescent bulbs and turtle lagoons. All are products that are hazardous even when used properly per the instructions of the manufacturer. Using a turtle lagoon as a longterm baby turtle habitat is hazardous. Using a heat rock as a supplemental heat source is hazardous. Using compact florescent bulbs is hazardous. Period.

In comparison, things like whether or not sand is good for desert lizards or glass tanks being good enclosures is simply a difference in opinion and subjective to a hobbyist's unique situation. Using either in the right conditions isn't going to kill a herp.

Bottom line: I would use glass tanks for some species. I would use sand for some species. On the other hand, I would NEVER use a heat rock for anything. I would NEVER use a compact florescent bulb or a turtle lagoon for anything.
__________________
www.MDCrabtree.com
StudentoReptile is offline  
Old 08-07-12, 07:56 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Wildside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul-2012
Posts: 1,691
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarelyBreathing View Post
Prevent A Mite, when used correctly, can be a blessing. However, many keepers fail to read/follow the directions all the way through, thus subjecting their reptiles (and themselves) to toxic fumes.
This is why I dislike it. It's too potent! The ivomec formula I use is gentle enough to be used daily for serious infestations. That combined with a good, thorough cleaning will get rid of the mites. Sometimes in this industry diligence is required. A mite infestation is one of those times.

My ivomec mixture is 1cc diluted in 32 oz. of water.
Wildside is offline  
Old 08-10-12, 03:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2012
Posts: 26
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

is this ok?

Temperature Gun Infrared Thermometer w/Laser Sight | eBay
Snakeboy32 is offline  
Old 08-10-12, 03:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
StudentoReptile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr-2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,877
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeboy32 View Post
I don't see why not.
__________________
www.MDCrabtree.com
StudentoReptile is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 08-10-12, 03:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
franks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul-2012
Posts: 1,245
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarelyBreathing View Post
StudenttoReptile, do you mind if I repost those two on the other threads I have made? Wayne, I will re-word that post and post it as well. I can't believe I forgot cedar(and pine)!!

Pine is a HUGE one!! Cedar is bad, but I think it is generally understood by the reptile community as toxic. However, many substrate manufactorers use pine and sell it as reptile safe substrate. I was in a pet warehouse today to find a natural bark type of substrate for a carpet python and out of 5 different bags only found one (cypress mulch) that did not contain pine.
franks is offline  
Old 08-10-12, 03:57 PM   #42 (permalink)
Village Idiot
 
KORBIN5895's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct-2011
Age: 31
Posts: 7,849
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Did you actually read this thread Frank?
__________________
I used to be a nice guy but that don't get you anywhere. So now I'm just a piece of ****, idiot,
who's too stupid to care.
KORBIN5895 is offline  
Old 08-10-12, 04:22 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
franks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul-2012
Posts: 1,245
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Are you refering to the one titled "Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets?"
franks is offline  
Old 08-10-12, 05:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
Village Idiot
 
KORBIN5895's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct-2011
Age: 31
Posts: 7,849
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
just be careful, I have seen people panic and try to avoid common lumber for cage building.

Kiln fired pine is safe, raw pine is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franks View Post
Pine is a HUGE one!! Cedar is bad, but I think it is generally understood by the reptile community as toxic. However, many substrate manufactorers use pine and sell it as reptile safe substrate. I was in a pet warehouse today to find a natural bark type of substrate for a carpet python and out of 5 different bags only found one (cypress mulch) that did not contain pine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks View Post
Are you refering to the one titled "Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets?"
Uh, yeah. Hence me saying this thread.
__________________
I used to be a nice guy but that don't get you anywhere. So now I'm just a piece of ****, idiot,
who's too stupid to care.
KORBIN5895 is offline  
Old 08-10-12, 07:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
franks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul-2012
Posts: 1,245
Country:
Re: Dangerous pet products that should never be used for pets

Lol Korbin your unprovoked belligerence is amusing. Up front, I want you to know, no offense taken since this is all in the spirit of forum discussion. With that said, since you so respectfully asked me to explain myself:

I build and sell custom enclosures, so I understand lumber is safe AFTER IT IS SEALED. The fact that it is pine is part of the reason we seal it btw.
I understand that kiln dried pine is safe, it has no oil. The bags that I was referring to all explicitly stated “Not kiln dried to help substrate retain humidity.”
Hope this helps.
franks is offline  
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0