border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-02, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

lets see if I have this right.

Check this out...I have been trying to absorb as much information as I can so here goes, (but please correct me if Im wrong).

When you decide to breed your snakes they should be about two and a half to three years of age and and you should wait untill fall, you should stop feeding in August and introduce the male in September.

The male might try to get her attention by moving around the cage to atract her, if he's lucky then he'll move on top of her and start contracing his muscles on her back.

When he's not interested you seperate them and she'll start to ovulate, you can usually notice her thicker in the body when you see this you re-introduce the male and leave them alone unill he's not interested anymore. When he is you seperate them and leave her alone and in several weeks she'll shed and that's when you know the baby's will be out soon.

now this is my interpretation what am I missing? just wanted to see if I absorbed all the material. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Nuno

Last edited by nuno; 11-20-02 at 11:26 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 11-20-02, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Size and weight also make an impact, if the snake is too small it's not good. and time of year can be different for different snakes.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 11-20-02, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle

Errrr... what type of snakes are we talking about? Some breed at 12 months, and some don't breed until year 5. I seriously hope you are not lumping all snakes into one broad general category, because that would be bad.
Old 11-20-02, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry Jeff I'm refering to Boa constrictors.
Old 11-20-02, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

So what do you guys think...should I keep reading or do I have it down. I know there's a bit more detail and I have a good book that is helping me with that research, see this is knowledge to use in about 3 years or so but somehow it seems that "breeding" info seems to be the only thing that is "top secret" info. I want to be fluent in Boas before I will ever breed this is why I have jueveniles... because with time comes experience and with experience comes success.

Thanks,
Nuno
Login to remove ads
Old 11-21-02, 05:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nuno, hey dont worry to much about the "rules" of breeding... Every snake is differant and what works with some will not work with others of the same species... Best thing to do is try introducing them at differant times of the year / day leave them for a few days, if there is no intrest try again, etc etc... your boas will breed when they want to breed... and the key is a good male.. if your male wants to reproduce, then he is going to reproduce.. LOL your females wont really have a say in the matter...
Old 11-21-02, 05:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

PS> im not expert here but i have a gravid bci now and just telling you what worked for me...
Old 11-21-02, 07:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Jeff!!

With time comes experience, with experience comes success!!
Old 11-21-02, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff ********
PS> im not expert here but i have a gravid bci now and just telling you what worked for me...
Congratulations.

if you ever decide to get rid of that male BCC let us know, we have a female that needs a boyfriend.

May you live in interesting times.
Closed Thread