sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-04, 08:07 PM   #46 (permalink)
Please Email Boots
I love some of the Americans on the site. I hope they will continue to post. Knowledge is knowledge. I am 100% pro Canadian. But I would never tell someone I didn't want to listen to what they have to say based on where they are from. That is not a very modern way of thinking. The internet allows us to become that "global village" that our high school teachers kept yammering about. Having said that I would hate to see an over abundance of American adds (not American people) just for the simple fact of where the heck else are we going to go to get our stuff. If it wasn't for this site though I would never have met a lot of cool people from around the world, the US as well as Canada. Heck I have met people from my own area on here that I never knew existed. So please don't take it personally we still love you guys , it's just that this is all we have at the moment. We are still playing catch up with the remarkable industry in the US.

How about the vendors classifieds couldn't US companies advertise there? As well as the American events and shows section? Or is the main argument about the banner adds? Because I don't see why on the main page there couldn't be a separate links box for American companies? TB
Old 09-15-04, 09:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Brent Strande
Exactly Tim! I don't think that it would be too hard to keep some sort of separation. Either way, it doesn't seem to be much of a threat as there really aren't many American ads on the site...
a.k.a. jjnnbns

Click Here For the North Dakota Herpers Forum!!!
Old 09-16-04, 12:57 AM   #48 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Artemis
Whoa holy crap my post ran wild without me. Let ME clarify. I think its freaking great this is a Canadian site. I have no problems with that. I guess I was just being wistful reading everyones posts about what they picked up from so and so, and what just hatched out of so and so's incubators. Being American on this site, I can exactly go to the banner ads (which was what I was reffering too) and shop for myself. But that doesnt mean I have a PROBLEM with this site being mostly Canadian. What I have a problem with is how much similar American sites SUCK compared to this one. So you Canadians keep up the good work, eh.

And no, I wasnt even thinking about segregation and all that. This is a Canadian site and that rocks. I dont feel like im not appreciated or supported or important just because Im American. I totally respect that this is a place where people from Canada can hook up in the hobby.

It just sucks not being able to buy from the same breeders and suppliers you always hear everyone talking about, ya know. BUT- Its definitely nothing against this site, heck I love this place, and I totally understand its goals at staying Canadian aimed.

Cool discussion though, guys!

1.0.0 Ball Python Omega
1.0.0 Amel Corn Bob Dylan
Old 09-16-04, 05:58 AM   #49 (permalink)
Originally posted by Vengeance
Just as an example, www kingsnake .com has a www kingsnake .ca address as well that has nothing but Canadian vendors on it. Why? Because when a Canadian is looking for a vendor it is much harder to have to sift through all of the stuff avilable in the Americian Herp market because our Canadian one is so small in comparision.
Sadly, quite a few of the vendors listed on the .ca address are American. I find it annoying as hell to have to do some detective work on a site to see if I can actually buy from it, when it's clearly listed as a Canadian vendor.

If anyone remembers my first post here a couple of months ago, it was a vent on how it was impossible to find people's address. I realize now that a lot of people operate out of their own homes, and don't list their addresses to maintain their privacy. I still maintain that it's important to list at least the city where you are though, as well as the phone number. I have a pretty good idea where everyone is located now, but that's after having spent months reading this site on a daily basis. A newcomer would not be privy to this knowledge however, and for that person listing a city can make all the difference.

Back on topic however, for me, I think it's important for this site to remain predominantly Canadian because the market is so small here. The American herp community is large enough that it can afford to be fragmented; the same can not be said about us. As much as I'd like to do every deal in person and not fork over the cash until I see the animal and can take it home with me, that's quite impossible for many of the species and/or morphs I am interested in. This site is very important for me to determine who is safe for me to deal with. BOI boards help, but a large part of the Canadian market is made up of people who breed on a very small scale. The only way for me to determine whether or not I should deal with one of these persons is to evaluate how they conduct themselves, the knowledge they demonstrate, and their experiences in the hobby. And even for the bigger breeders out there, I don't think I'd have any idea who they were if it wasn't for this site.

So, although I very much welcome any information from south of the border, I am much more interested in hearing about personal experiences from my fellow Canucks. Now, hearing more about the personal experiences of Americans doesn't necessarily mean there will be less to hear about from my fellow Canadians, but there will ultimately be some dilution that would reduce the utility of this site.

Anyway, I don't feel that there is any risk of that happening anytime soon, but it is nevertheless a concern that will be at the back of my mind. I'm happy to have the American members that we have now, and I think there's room for many more... just not so many more that the site loses the Canadian aspect of it.
1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.9 Normal Ball Pythons, 0.1 African House Snake, 1.0 Savannah Monitor, 0.0.1 Argentinian Horned Frog

Last edited by hhw; 09-16-04 at 06:01 AM..
Old 09-16-04, 08:08 AM   #50 (permalink)
Ok, here's my 2 cents worth! I see nothing wrong with sharing this site with our American neighbors! It would be beneficial because the cost to keep this site open is high. So the more breeders and companies who pay to advertise here the better! Just think of the endless available info there would be about different species and how to care for them! This could be your one stop reptile site that has it all!
2.2 uro geyri 1.1 uro ornatus 0.1 uro macfadyeni 2.1 uro maliensis 0.1 poodle 1.0 chi-poo 0.1 norwiegan elkhund/border collie kakariki parakeet
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread