border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-04, 11:54 AM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Brent Strande
Vengeance, wasn't directed at you... or anyone in particular. I've just noticed that it is often implied on this site. I did hear you, so sorry to have offended. I just don't see how it would be too difficult as the site seems to have American and Canadian pretty well separated in the sales, etc... area.

Truce?

Click Here For the North Dakota Herpers Forum!!! www.ndherp.com
Old 09-15-04, 11:59 AM   #32 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Vengeance
I never said segregation of the forms was something that was a good idea. I am all for anyone and everyone contributing to the sharing of information. Nothing would be better then if everyone shared all the information they had on these forms.

But when it comes to the Canadian Herp Community and the growth of Herp Sales in Canada, how would the Canadian herp community benefit from having to try and compete on the only site avilable right now that is for the Canadian herper with the huge industry that is the Americian herp industry. Were not talking about the sharing of information, or the postings in the Classifieds, were talking about the driving force that is behind this website is Canadian, if you take this site away from the Canadian herp industry, what does it have left?

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
1.0 Cali King Snake (Weebl)
0.0.1 Black Breasted Leaf Turtle (Hootie)

Last edited by Vengeance; 09-15-04 at 12:08 PM..
Old 09-15-04, 11:59 AM   #33 (permalink)

Brent

I figured it was directed at me since I've been the one mostly posting

1.2.1 Ball Pythons

Last edited by Vengeance; 09-15-04 at 12:04 PM..
Old 09-15-04, 12:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
Before this site there was a Canadian Herp Community. It may not have been large, and it may not have been well-known, but it was there. It will always be there, regardless of what happens to this site. I understand Canadians want the ease of shopping online from Canadian breeders.

It seems as if these canadian breeders are quite rare and difficult to locate, and therefore, in high demand. If it's such a pain to get anything from America why would american advertising even be considered a threat to the canadian herp community?

I'm sure the canadian breeders know how exclusive their products are, and aren't going to pull their ads from this site because it generates a lot of clientele for them.

Last edited by Samba; 09-15-04 at 12:52 PM..
Old 09-15-04, 12:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Brent Strande
Understandable, but that wasn't what I intended to do, and perhaps bitching wasn't the best word to use

Click Here For the North Dakota Herpers Forum!!! www.ndherp.com
Login to remove ads
Old 09-15-04, 12:28 PM   #36 (permalink)

It really depends, now were talking about Buisness. Canadian vendors I assume advertise here because of the large Canadian base. They get the best value because the site has the target audiance they are looking for, that audiance being Canadians because just as it is difficult for the Canadian to order from the US, so is true for the Americian ordering from Canada. Now if the demographic of the site changed from a prodomitly Canadian site to a higer mix of Americians, the assumption would be these vendors would then go looking for another site that better met their Demographic. Americian vendors trying to sell to Canadians, and Canadians trying to sell to Americians isn't going to work out well in the long run because of all the hassle involved. So as more and more the site became Amirican, one can only assmue that the vendor base on the site would change as well. A larger base of Americians means great exposure for the Americian community which in turn means more Amirician vendors advertising and in turn less Canadian vendors because of the demographic change.

Now this is all based on allot of assumptions. But if you look at the Americian herp buisness community and the Americian Herp Community base population, you can see that it would greatly out weigh that of the Canadian community. So as the site gained more popularity as an Americian site, so too would the Americian base grow, and as such the vendor growth would follow eventually crushing the Canadian presence on the site.

Again this is all based on allot of assumptions, I'm assuming that as the Americian user base follows over here and the site gains popularity in the US then so too will the Vendors follow because the site would then meet their Demographic. As it stands right now an Americian vendor Advertising on this site will not get as great a value as advertising on an Americian herp site.

But again all of this is speculation based on buisness trends.

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
Old 09-15-04, 12:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
Vengeance - you make some good points... but I honestly don't think this site is going to become so over-run with americans and american vendors that canadian breeders and suppliers will stop advertising here. The only reason to stop would be if canadians left the site, as others mentioned before. It's a Cause and Effect situation...

If there are 'too many' americans here the canadians will leave because it will somehow become more of a hassle for them to get to canadian vendors... and canadian vendors will no longer advertise here because the canadian consumers have left because there were too many americans advertising to other americans here.

I really don't see how this senario could evolve to the point that canadians fear (loss of ability to buy from canadian businesses). I think this site will stay canadian-prodominant.

If the owner of this site decides to lease a space for an american vendor, so be it; it's 1.) his desicion, and 2.) generates clientele for american businesses, which will keep paying to advertise, which will support this great canadian herp site which means you all will still have a place to come and gripe about all the americans here. LOL Only kidding! =)

Last edited by Samba; 09-15-04 at 12:46 PM..
Old 09-15-04, 12:57 PM   #38 (permalink)
rwg

I could easily see it going that way for one reason...market size. Take front page ads for example. The US is 10 times the size of Canada. The herp industry there is way more mature than it is here, so let's just estimate that there are 20 times more breeders and vendors in the US than in Canada. If the site gave every business equal access to front page advertising, then only 5% of the ads will be for Canadian businesses unless American businesses for some reason voluntarily refrained from buying advertising space. If I cant tell which ads are for Canadian businesses, I probably wont bother clicking any of them becasue 19/20 are no good to me. It's not that I have anything against buying American...I dont. It's buying across the border I cant deal with. Currency exchange, brokerage fees, shipping charges etc.

If Canadians stop clicking, Canadian businesses will stop advertising. Why pay money to advertise to a market that isn't bothering with your ads?

The discussions benefit greatly from an international perspective, but even there, if the PCPC show discussions were burried in a sea of American show discussions, I think it would lessen the appeal of the site for me. I like the fact that I could possibly meet a significant percentage of the posters in Mississauga in November.
Old 09-15-04, 01:02 PM   #39 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
Before ssnakess.com was here there was NO canadian herp place to talk that was even remotly active. Sure there were forums here and there with canadian sections, even maybe a couple dedicated. But the FACT is there was NOTHING like this website for Canadians before ssnakess.com came along. Nothing.

I love Americans being here. I AM American. So anyone who thinks this is about that, is simply wrong. More people mean more discussion and that's great for everyone.

But the other side is, that canadians most certaintly DO need a place, not a section, not a small area, a CANADIAN place to sell and buy herps. I highly agree with RWG post. Once most of the advertising is USA, then Canandians stop bothering to sift and search through it all. It happened on queensnake and it has happened on other forums, which is why most of us from Canada stay here.

Again, it has NOTHING to do with not liking or liking Americans. Not at all.

Marisa

Last edited by marisa; 09-15-04 at 01:05 PM..
Old 09-15-04, 01:05 PM   #40 (permalink)

I agree, but I also think that my Scenario is very possible. At the end of the day it really all comes down to money. If the owner of the site isn't making enough money from Canadian revenue, then ofcourse he is going to cross the border to find more money. So yea end of the day everything is based on what the owner of this site wants. But as an example, lets use the repti bid buttons. Now repti bid in and of itself isn't the greatest of sites. There still is allot if growing that needs to be done on that site before most people will think of it as a legitimate place to do buisness. Now if Repti bid does get to that point, Repti bid is a Americian site, as a Canadian, the site is usless to me, cool to look at what's selling for what, but I can't buy anything. So assuming repti bid becomes reputable, more Americians will be purchasing, and as a result because of the cross advertising they will be more of them posting here. Now as word spreads around, Americian vendors are going to see that the majority of posters here has taken a turn and Americians have a greater presence, and as such will begin advertising. So then we get to my propsed sceneario.

Now at that point there is a choice to be made. You can do the same think www kingsnake .com and create a .ca and .com address. I'm pretty sure that when you enter the reptiles forums from either .com or .ca they go to the same place. But the .ca offers a strickly Canadian side of vendors for Canadians, and the .com offers a strickly Americian side of Vendors for the Americians. Now to me that is the best case scenario, from a community stand point and a buisness stand point as the owner of the site. That way the Canadian side of buisness still stays seperate from that of the US. The Canadian vendors still get the Canadain exposure that they need to grow and then they don't have to compete for advertising space with the much larger number of Americian vendors. But the website community as a whole strenghtens because all are still able to communicate freely and offer up a wealth of information in the forms.

But that is a best case scenario.

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
Login to remove ads
Old 09-15-04, 01:09 PM   #41 (permalink)

RWG, I see what you are saying, but it comes back down to the owner of this site. It's not about american vendors 'refraining' from buying space, it's about who the owner of this site deems appropriate to advertise, and there's no way you could argue with him. Fact is, it's HIS site and he'll lease space to whomever he wants... the best he could do is take note of our opinions and accomodate them, but he's not obligated to.

Call me stupid, but I really don't see a competition here, americans sell to americans, canadians sell to canadians... and if someone has something really nice, we could play nice and go through a bit of hassle to get what we want.
Old 09-15-04, 01:30 PM   #42 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to JonD
One point is missed here. As a business, there is only one good reason to advertise....... to get customers/sales (no brainer). To be really effective, you advertise where your message will reach the largest target market. Right now, it is probably not cost effective for alot of American breeders to advertise here since there isn't a large target market at this point. Though the numbers are increasing. Canadian breeders won't get pushed out of this web site because this is where thier target market is in greatest numbers. The same reasons we don't really see any European ads, the amount of European traffic here is minimal. It just isn't cost effective!!

Increased traffic means increased knowledge base...I welcome the increase, no matter the physical location...

Fox has one of those new reality shows at eight, 'Fast animals, slow children
Old 09-15-04, 06:37 PM   #43 (permalink)

there is no reason for businesses from the USA to advertise as there are not enough users from the USA to advertise too

not to mention since you pointed it out so clearly that there are eleventy billion herp sites in the USA and we choose to use this one exclusively...it should be thought of as a compliment to the management and users and community on this board, not as a frickin threat
Old 09-15-04, 06:42 PM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
When is that last time some of you took a good look at the classifieds? <i><b>Has anyone even noticed that there are different places for American and Canadian classified adds?

Worrying about 'sifting through' stuff is moot. </i></b>

Segregating the whole site into 'Canadian' and 'other' would be a foolish thing to do.

I think what some people are worried about is that since this place started, it's been a Canadian based site geared towards Canadians. And they'd hate to lose that.

Everyone is welcome, there's no mistaking that.
Old 09-15-04, 08:06 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Youkai
When is that last time some of you took a good look at the classifieds? <i><b>Has anyone even noticed that there are different places for American and Canadian classified adds?

Worrying about 'sifting through' stuff is moot. </i></b>

As mentioned the Classifieds don't really apply, were talking about banner advertisments and site supporter sites. Classifieds are already segmented so that is why it was mute point to begin with.

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread