border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-04, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
I agree with you, BW. Reptiles (Magazine) may be produced in America, but it is for herp lovers everywhere, and there are advertisers from all walks of life in that magazine. I, too, have been disappointed in finding the location of an advertiser a bit far from home after inquiring about animals they have for sale. It has never stood in the way of getting anything I wanted badly enough.

Vengeance, Daver676 and his quote from Marisa, I believe, (correct me if I'm wrong) answer your question. I try not to take this situation personally, but the more I am here, and the more other americans are here, the more canadians will be driven from this site, and I'm not supposed to feel a little ackward in reading that?

I do understand your point that sifting through a larger volume of ads to find canadian breeders and sellers may be 'troublesome' but that's life. I think the advertising forums here are very well segregated between americans and canadians...so that shouldn't even be an issue at all.

Last edited by Samba; 09-15-04 at 10:57 AM..
Old 09-15-04, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Brent Strande
I always thought that this was an internet site, where there really are no borders...

also, the majority of this sites purpose (IMHO) is to educate people on herps, so the content really shouldn't be classified by national borders, but by species.

Complaining about too many Americans joining a Canadian site is like complaining that too many fish, or spider lovers are joining a snake site (That's what the name says right? ssnakess? Must be a site for snakes only!)

I see what Samba is talking about, feeling unwelcome sometimes. It has never been directly though, as this site has the greatest members of any I've been to and TONS of invaluable resources too! What I find offensive are the blanket statements.

Anywho, this could go on forever I believe. I hope that it doesn't ever turn into an actual problem. So far I don't think that it has, but only time will tell...

Click Here For the North Dakota Herpers Forum!!! www.ndherp.com
Old 09-15-04, 11:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Vengeance
I think the reason people would move away from the site if it became mostly Americian is not because of the Americian people, but because it wouldn't have what they are looking for anymore. You have to stop thinking about it in Americian and Canadian posters. Information is Information, if it comes from Canada, US, Egypt or Iraq, if I'm looking for an answer to a question I don't care where the answer comes from and I'm sure most people feel that way. But when it comes to finding Canadian vendors, and Canadian Clasifieds, this is really the only place we have to turn. So if it got to a point where searching through the form and site sponsers turned up to be mostly Americian, I think Canadian readers would be more inclinded to search out a site with a Canadian feel, hence why there are allot of Canadians on this site.

But like I said, this isn't against the Americian posters or the information being offered, it is mainly about the Canadian vendors. If it became harder to find a Canadian vendor on this site then an Americian, I also would be inclined to find a diffrent site. Not because I didn't want to participate in an Americian site, but because they don't have relevent vendors and postings for me as a Canadian.

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
1.0 Cali King Snake (Weebl)
0.0.1 Black Breasted Leaf Turtle (Hootie)
Old 09-15-04, 11:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
Approximately 90% of this site's purpose (as I see it) is discussion-related. So, we have EVERYONE talking about EVERYTHING and Canadians will think it's harder to find vendors on this site because of the American advertisers, which are separated into different forums altogether... If an American ad accidentally gets in the Canadian ads forums, I'm pretty sure the moderators will move it to where it needs to go... I'm REALLY not understanding what the problem is... =(

Brent - I think your opening statement was very well-said. That's how I feel as well... =)

Last edited by Samba; 09-15-04 at 12:47 PM..
Old 09-15-04, 11:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'm not talking about just the Clasified section. If you go to the main page, there is a box half way down with "Site Supporters" If you go through that list 95% of them are Canadian. The banners that get Advertised all the time, again mostly Canadian. I have no problems what so ever when it comes to the sharing of information. Like I said information is information, and good information coming from anywhere is allways a welcome value to any site, be it an Americian site or a Canadian site. But if a time comes when the list of site supporters are mostly Americian sites, and the banners are of mostly americian sites, then it's time for me to find a Canadian alternative. Not because of the Americians, or not because most of the people on the site are Americian, but because those vendors and those advertisments are not related to me. I can't allways order from an Americian vendor because they can't ship across the border, the prices are in USD as opposed to CAD. This site really helps fuel the Canadian herp community, and if it came to a point were as an example the PCPC Reptile Expo had to try and compete with the 20 other Americian Reptile Expo's that happen around the same time frame, as a Canadian, it would becoming much harder for me to see that advertisment for PCPC as opposed to seeing all those other Advertisers.

Like I said, this isn't a knock against the Americian poster or the information the contribute. I can't speak for everyone but contributing the the information that flows through this site is allways appriciated and that goes for both sides of the border. But with this being the one refuge where the Canadian herp industry really has a chance to help the Canadian herp community grow, it would be much harder if they had to compete with the Americian industry on the same site.

Just as an example, www kingsnake .com has a www kingsnake .ca address as well that has nothing but Canadian vendors on it. Why? Because when a Canadian is looking for a vendor it is much harder to have to sift through all of the stuff avilable in the Americian Herp market because our Canadian one is so small in comparision.

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
Login to remove ads
Old 09-15-04, 11:32 AM   #21 (permalink)

Hey Samba, and the rest of the American members and visitors. Please don't feel unwelcome here because of a few people that don't seem to understand that there is no threat to our market regardless of how different it is to the US market. If these people can't find Canadian breeders and suppliers here then they are not looking very hard. Everything is kept seperate so it is easier to find what you are looking for in the country you are looking. As for the Reptiles magazine's content, I've been an avid reader and subscriber for more than ten years, the advertising content is mostly American but I have seen Canadian ads in it occasionally. I myself read it for the informative articles and to see whats new on the herp horizon. Anyways just had to add my two cents worth! Here's to no borders and the free proliferation of reptile information.

Dave
Old 09-15-04, 11:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Instead of bitc#ing then about Americans joining the site so that it grows and expands (allowing more valuable resources and information as well) why not push for National forums? Have the list separated by county. Perhaps even an European grouping as more and more Europeans are joining this site! What I am saying is that most businesses (yes this site is a business) would WANT to grow in order to stay afloat.

With all that is said, I don't know that I would like the idea of the site being sold and having someone else run it either though... ther reason that I go to this site is for the way that it is run!

Perhaps the fear is due to the slight changes that have been occurring on this site, such as the buttons on top and such. That I completely understand, as I am NOT a fan of most, if not all, of the sites that those links take me to.

Sorry, rambling again. My whole point is, let the site grow! It can only help it. Rather than stunting the growth of something great, let's see what we can do to allow it to evolve while still keeping the feel that it gives to ALL of its members. Are we *non-Canadian* members of less importance?

I stand my ground on this being a GLOBAL community.

Old 09-15-04, 11:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
rwg

The more people who participate, and the more regions they represent, the better the discussion aspect of this forum will be. BUT, if all the ads on the front page are for American businesses, and if the Canadian classified ads dwindled in quantity, then I'd have to spend more time elsewhere because doing business across the border is difficult.
Old 09-15-04, 11:38 AM   #24 (permalink)

Rereading that it doesn't sound quite right. I don't mean national forums for everything, just advertisements, banners, and classifieds, etc...

And then ONE GREAT BIG SITE to share and exchange information with people across the globe!

Old 09-15-04, 11:39 AM   #25 (permalink)

Who gets to put their banner on this site is the decision of the owner. If he puts up more American vendors than Canadians I'm sure he knows he'll lose members, which is a shame. This site has a lot more to offer than just vendors.

Like the whole 'buttons' issue, he needs to keep money flowing to support this site, and I'm sure he'll do whatever it takes. (Although, I've read recently that it has been difficult for one individual to reach him in regards to support).
Old 09-15-04, 11:42 AM   #26 (permalink)

Would it be possible to sign in, and have your preferences allow for a choice:

-Canadian
-American
-European
-Global (random)

Where the home page could display banners from the selected region?

ie If I login and set my preferences to american, the banners and such would show from American supporters, but the forums and such in the center of the screen are the same? And then if I log off and my canadian friend logs into their account, with a preference set to Canadian, the banners and such would display the Canadian supporters?

This sounds simple to me, but I have NO web design knowledge or much even dealing with computers. But I imagine it could be sort of like the display... silver, green or blue. and the time

Old 09-15-04, 11:43 AM   #27 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
I'd avertise in Reptiles magazine if it didn't suck. I haven't seen a good issue since the interviews with the "goanna man" like 5 years ago.
Old 09-15-04, 11:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

This site should be for herp lovers all around the globe to UNITE! A place to learn, listen, share ideas etc, etc. Segregation in ANY form sucks.
Old 09-15-04, 11:47 AM   #29 (permalink)

:::claps::: You GO! Girl!!! LOL I totally agree! =)
Old 09-15-04, 11:51 AM   #30 (permalink)

Brent

Who's bitc#ing!? Are you not reading what I'm saying? I've said more then once now, actually I think this is the third time, it doesn't matter where the information is coming from our who is contributing to discussion, that is not the point I'm trying to get across here. The Vendors and the Advertisers are prodomitly Canadian. I know that if I'm looking for a Gecko in Canada, where can I come www.ssnakess.com. If I'm looking for a Arachnid is Canada, where can I go www.ssnakess.com. If I need some feeder supplies for my herps in Canada, can you take a guess what I'm going to say? I can find it here! If www.ssnakess.com ever got to a point where when I was looking for a new snake it wasn't the first site that poped in my head for Canadian vendors. I would go somewhere else, Why? Because I don't feel like having to go through a bunch of diffrent web sites that I'm not sure if they are Canadian or US to find out that they are indeed Americian so I can't order from them. Now why can't I order from them, problems with getting live animals across the border, time it takes to make it through customs, brokrage fee's, taxes, etc, etc, etc! Not because your Americian, because it's a pain in the a$$.

Not once did I ever say I would leave because of the Americians, or Americians shouldn't post here, or Americinas shouldn't advertise here. I never once said that, what I've said and man do I hate repeating myself, if it got to a point where I was unable to find a majority of Canadian vendors, I would find a site that has a majority of Canadian vendors. Why? Because I'm Canadian, and I can't deal with the US because of the reasons listed above. So please get off this whole I'm bashing Americia because you'd leave the site if it was prodomitly Americian because that isn't what I've said at all.

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread