border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-04, 10:47 AM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
I've read some pretty interesting points here, and I think you've all made good arguements, but I think we ALL agree that displaying the murder of a cat and calling it art is sick.

I'm an artist, I draw, paint, photograph. I don't kill animals and say what I did is a performance piece. These men are just looking to be excused from something they know was wrong.

I know that we all love and respect animals here, particularly reptiles, which bonds us all... but every year (probably several times within different counties) rattlesnakes are harvested, abused, and tortured as well. Most people don't think much of this because snakes are 'evil' and 'gross.'

I'd like to see more action against the roundups that are portrayed as 'family events.' Rattlesnakes are skinned and disemboweled ALIVE, just like Kensington. They do feel pain just like any other animal, and it is JUST as inhumane. Their body parts are removed while they struggle to breath and survive; it's just sick and almost impossible to think of what they go through.

As for the farm animals; I have seen them in bad conditions, but I've also seen farms that take excellent care of their livestock before they are slaughtered. These animals are asked only to eat and reproduce basically, then (most) are given a quick and painless death; if you look at it in a different light, that would be the perfect life, right?

Just like not all pit bull owners fight their dogs, you can't say all farm animals suffer before and during slaughter...

My thoughts are really jumbled and emotional now, so please excuse my rant if it's not understandable. I'll post later when I'm calm enough. It's really nice to see that everyone is interested in protesting this, and trust me, if I lived in the city where the film is planning to be shown, I'd be there.
Old 09-11-04, 01:01 PM   #32 (permalink)

concept3, you assume the timeline for when my mother did that project. my mom went back to college and graduated 2 years ago for environmental engineering. a far cry from 15 years.
the larger ones yeah they're in the spotlight, but the smaller ones out in the rural area's are still like that. i know, i just moved out of one of those county's only a year ago (after living there for 7 years).
Old 09-11-04, 01:07 PM   #33 (permalink)

because I havent been to everyone, I do beleive you 100 percent that their is places that treat the animals bad. But for the most part its a pretty heavily regulated and watched industry, and for the most part they treat their animals humanely.
Old 09-11-04, 01:16 PM   #34 (permalink)

you're right and i agree that they've improved most places in leaps and bounds, but there are still places out there that should be shut down.
Old 09-11-04, 01:32 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to crazy4reptiles
As far as weather Slaughter houses are cruel or not to the animals... Can't speak for them all but I work for probably the largest Beef slaughter house there is, and I can assure you the prceedures are very good... They have CFIA crawling around there 24 hrs a day. But I'm sure there are alot of smaller places who get away with things.. As for the whole cat thing, I totally do not like what those men did.. It is sick and dusgusting, but I don't think showing a film about it is that bad, they didn't use any original footage... It isn't really any different then the documentry Bio I watched on Ed Gein on A&E the other night?... Maybe we should all right them letters for showing that? It's a cold world, sad but true.... Now I'm waiting for it.. Come on give it to me!! lol
Old 09-11-04, 02:08 PM   #36 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Artemis
I dont think every place that slaughters animals is inhumane. However, like the videos samba put up illustrate, there are certainly animals who meet their demise in ways they shouldnt for our consumption, one way or the other. I did not mean any offence by my comment, and in fact, Cam, Im actually really glad to hear people work in the meat industry and find it to BE humane. At least some places have responsible practices.

Im not a vegetarian, or anything like that. I believe we have canine teeth for a reason. (not meaning like dog teeth, but meaning the name for the pointy teeth we have on either side of our front teeth meant for ripping up meats). I do find, as Samba illustrated, that many animals are killed in inhumane ways in the meat and animal goods industries, but I hope that you guys are right, and some places do make sure their slaughtering practices are as humane as possible.

And crazy- the serial killer analogy is cool, except we watch that, and it is presented, in such a manner where the actions of the serial killer are understood to be WRONG!

This docu film, while not the film about the most hardcore parts of this cats torture, is making a point about "why is it ok to kill animals for food, but not just randomly kill one on the streets for fun." It glorifies, and in a way justifies the actions of these boys, while downplaying their severity. That is why I feel the documentary also should not be shown.
Old 09-11-04, 02:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
Exploiting an innocent animal's cruel death for profit or recognition is the problem...

If a man (or woman) killed another human being in a sick and unusually cruel way and video-taped it there would be a lot more outrage in the community concerning the footage, and whether or not it's art. I know a cat is not a human, but we are all animals and we should respect all creatures on this earth.

We are no better than any other species, including the ones we keep as 'companions' or work/livestock. My thoughts are still jumbled, so please excuse me while I go throw up...
Old 09-11-04, 03:17 PM   #38 (permalink)

The article never stated wether the film condoned the boys actions in toturing and killing the cat.... I think until any of us wached it ourselves, we can't come to a conclution to what it is really saying..... and it could be against such an act... just letting the public be aware of such haness crimes... just like any newspaper, news etc etc... they let us know the bad things to..

I'm not sticking it for them, just saying until we have wached it, we can't really judge somthing from hear say, and one article we read. I just think somtimes when somthing bad happens people tend to see it as horrible, wich in this case it is ..VERY... but only want to keep looking in that direction, with a closed mind that everything pretaining to that event is indeed horrible.
Old 09-11-04, 03:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

well see, that's just the thing for me-----I ~couldn't~ watch it even if I wanted too... this kid of **** gives me nightmares--for life.
Old 09-11-04, 03:49 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

.....and I know that slaughter houses are HORRIBLE for any animal. There are better ways to get the public aware of cruelty other than making another animals suffer needlessly to make a point.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-11-04, 03:52 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by treegirl
.....and I know that slaughter houses are HORRIBLE for any animal.
Please amuse me?
Old 09-11-04, 04:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

go amuse yourself.
Old 09-11-04, 05:28 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy4reptiles
As far as weather Slaughter houses are cruel or not to the animals... Can't speak for them all but I work for probably the largest Beef slaughter house there is, and I can assure you the prceedures are very good... They have CFIA crawling around there 24 hrs a day. But I'm sure there are alot of smaller places who get away with things.. As for the whole cat thing, I totally do not like what those men did.. It is sick and dusgusting, but I don't think showing a film about it is that bad, they didn't use any original footage... It isn't really any different then the documentry Bio I watched on Ed Gein on A&E the other night?... Maybe we should all right them letters for showing that? It's a cold world, sad but true.... Now I'm waiting for it.. Come on give it to me!! lol
So if some one skinned your whole family but did not show full footage you would be fine with that? Wow, that is ignorant. They skinned the cat alive! They made is suffer to death in very painful and long situation! Showing a video of full, short, or even no footage they deserve to be locked up for years or skinned alive them selves and left to die in some corner!

I would never want to watch any animal get skinned alive, and hear the crying of mass pain and sadness.

And to your amuse me post, Go amuse you self by watching the movie when it comes out, considering you have not a problem with it.
Old 09-11-04, 08:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
dia

Send a message via AIM to dia Send a message via MSN to dia
Even reading about that I feel violently ill.
"When the video of the torture was shown in court, spectators were overcome and some plugged their ears to block the cat's moaning."
Some of the worst sounds I ever heard was when I found my beautiful grey tabby after she'd been mauled by some creature outside. Her flesh was ripped from her side and I could see some of her little ribs. Poor dear was curled up in the front steps in a pool of her blood. She whimpered, moaned and seemed to be crying in my arms when I rode to the vet.

How could someone with any feelings destroy and torture a cat like that and hear it moaning in pain as you skinned it? The thought of a person like that being on the streets makes my stomach churn. As someone else said, if they can do it to animals - would they do it to people?

[After much time at the vet and 8 weeks of healing she survived and is fine now. She's my lovie, and sitting in my lap purring as I write this!]
Old 09-11-04, 09:49 PM   #45 (permalink)

WOW... People cease to amaze me?... I DID not once condone anything that these people did... In fact in two seperate posts I do believe I said it was sick and dicusting.. or somthing to that manner.... I have read the article once again... and read it several times earlier... And I do not believe the person who made the documentry condoned the actions of the three young men. I did state that they did not use any footage... so nobody who watches the film sees it. Not that that made the crime any less discusting. So for Herpslave your comment on someone skinning my family was more iggnorant then my comments... I am mearly just stating a fact, that the documentry could be 100% AGAINST the actions of the people who tortured and killed the cat.

Quote:
I would never want to watch any animal get skinned alive, and hear the crying of mass pain and sadness.
And nor would I.... Never said I would....

Quote:
[Originally posted by treegirl
.....and I know that slaughter houses are HORRIBLE for any animal.
Quote:
Please amuse me?
And to those comments... They had nothing to do with the cat situation... I was just curious how she knew slaughter houses are HORRIBLE for animals.... I worked at one of the largest beef plants in the world... So I was just curious as to how she knew this?

Quote:
But I'm sure there are alot of smaller places who get away with things..
Just so you don't think that I think everyone is doing things right..
just because mine was doesn't mean they all are...

Maybe you should read my posts CAREFULLY before you come down on me... Because it makes you look stupid with the things you say... Because NEVER once did I condone anything, or stick up for anyone... Just saying that people need to look at the whole picture sometimes....and know the whole story... and know why things are done for what reason.. ie. the documentry, maybe it opened alot of eyes, as to what kind of a society we live in...

But once again none of us have seen it so we don't know..

So what ya doing next weekend? Dinner and a movie?....... lol...

I'm joking really.... People just get too damn mad somtimes, and speak without thinking, or understanding somones point.

Last edited by crazy4reptiles; 09-11-04 at 09:52 PM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread