border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-04, 02:00 PM   #61 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to daver676
Quote:
Originally posted by Linds
While it may be affordable to run a regular website, don't let that fool you in to thinking that running a server of this magnitude is the same. This site is VERY expensive to run, especially with all the feebie services it provides to its 6000+ members. It has been a problem in the past, and obviously it has become too expensive...
The only big cost of running a website like this is bandwidth. The domain name would be $40 per year. Vbulletin is not terribly expensive. You could run the freeware if you wanted. All the ads plastered in the home page and scattered throughout the site should easily pay for the costs of running it, not to mention a little left over. But it's already been mentioned that it's not our site, it's Jeff's, and he can do what he wants with it.

It does look like crap though, and my donation won't be coming any sooner because of it. Just my $.02. Not looking for a flame war.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn. We ****ed up!"
Old 08-20-04, 02:20 PM   #62 (permalink)

Well you obvoisly dont apreciat this site and are a pompus ignorant little putz. It costs250+ dllars a month to run this web site and tons of time from the moderators and jeff. If you dont apreciate all the work they do to keep this site goin then you shouldnt be here.
Matt
Old 08-20-04, 02:27 PM   #63 (permalink)
hhw

I think part of the $$$ problems for this site is they pay too much for colocation/dedicated, whichever they use. Nowdays, for $89.00USD/month, you can get a P4 2.4/512/80GB dedicated with 1,000GB of bandwidth from a reputable data center with multiple peers setup on bgp4. That should be more than adequate for this site. Data centers are always dropping in price, so if you negotiated your contract a long time ago, it's definitely worth your while to renegotiate your pricing.
Old 08-20-04, 02:32 PM   #64 (permalink)

I try to stay away from reptileforums... That is for my own reasons that may be offensive. So I will not say why. I just find it not a good thing to associate with reptileforums. reptimart is fine in my view though. I respect this site but not reptilefroums period.
Old 08-20-04, 02:33 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by daver676
It does look like crap though, and my donation won't be coming any sooner because of it. Just my $.02. Not looking for a flame war.
LOL thats a pretty lame comment and rather ignorant. As well as a dumb excuse not to donate. Why don't you admit the real reason is you're a tight wad like me.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-20-04, 02:49 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt.B
Well you obvoisly dont apreciat this site and are a pompus ignorant little putz. It costs250+ dllars a month to run this web site and tons of time from the moderators and jeff. If you dont apreciate all the work they do to keep this site goin then you shouldnt be here.
Matt
Wow, way to stay mature about it. Putz. Really, I mean who uses that word? Just calm down son. I don't see "sSnakeSs Supporter" under your name either.

You can't tell me that with all the ads and banners and donations, that he isn't covering $250/month. If he isn't, then I'm wrong, and I apologize to Jeff.

That and I'm cheap.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn. We ****ed up!"
Old 08-20-04, 03:11 PM   #67 (permalink)

Was trying to keep the post pg. Just because I havent donated does not mean that I wont and that I dont think that the moderator deserve more than what they get. The truth is this is a great site and its people like you that screw it up.
Matt
Old 08-20-04, 03:29 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt.B
Was trying to keep the post pg. Just because I havent donated does not mean that I wont and that I dont think that the moderator deserve more than what they get. The truth is this is a great site and its people like you that screw it up.
Matt

Old 08-20-04, 03:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

Quote:
Originally posted by daver676
You can't tell me that with all the ads and banners and donations, that he isn't covering $250/month. If he isn't, then I'm wrong, and I apologize to Jeff.
As I mentioned before, this has been a problem for a long time now, well before the site even reached half this size. The site costs thousands upon thousands to run, and all the supporters combined in a year cover maybe a month at best.
Old 08-20-04, 03:43 PM   #70 (permalink)

I certainly don't begrudge the admins seeking advertising support.

Not a big fan of some of the advertisers, nor of the button design, but it has *no* impact on the function of the site.

More power to them if it means less out of their pockets.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-20-04, 10:49 PM   #71 (permalink)

Just out of curiousity, how much do you guys think the site brings in a month?? I always find it humorous when people think it makes alot of money. Total recurring monthly income from the site is $60.00. And whatever else, like a yearly banner or a donation when they do come, which is rarely. How much do you people honestly think it made??
Old 08-21-04, 11:20 AM   #72 (permalink)

Hi Rich,

Well generally anything of this matter that contains he said she said stuff is normally removed. I don't know what will happen with this one.
Ah the politics of internet forums.
Cheers,
Trevor
Old 08-21-04, 11:42 AM   #73 (permalink)

Looking through Rich's posts I don't see why he was banned? Is this place turning into king snake?

edit - And now his original post was removed? Is this so everyone cant see how Innocent they were?

Last edited by Sean Day; 08-21-04 at 11:54 AM..
Old 08-21-04, 12:01 PM   #74 (permalink)
Banned

ya and they banned him again lol.
Old 08-21-04, 12:43 PM   #75 (permalink)

Rich had posted a letter that said lies had been stated in my letter about RF. If he had read the letter correctly then he would realize that Josh is no longer administrating that forum. I had said in my post and email that RF was under new an administration! Really I think that he is just trying to advertise his site after looking at how many times he posted a link to HerpCenter in his post!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread