border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-04, 10:42 AM   #46 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

Quote:
Originally posted by daver676
Doesn't cost that much to register a domain and host a website if you design it yourself.
While it may be affordable to run a regular website, don't let that fool you in to thinking that running a server of this magnitude is the same. This site is VERY expensive to run, especially with all the feebie services it provides to its 6000+ members. It has been a problem in the past, and obviously it has become too expensive...
Old 08-20-04, 10:52 AM   #47 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
Still no answers, huh? I will donate if that means the crap will go... I'll even donate on a regular basis and I'm AMERICAN LOL!

I have loved this site from the first time I laid eyes on it... wouldn't want it tarnished. Hope we find out something soon...
Old 08-20-04, 10:53 AM   #48 (permalink)

Everyone, just be happy you have a place like this to go. Jeff doesn't owe ANYONE a free site. Do the buttons REALLY make a difference at all? Sure they might look a bit out of place, but who cares?

Is the site all that different? Does it still have the same members and atmosphere? So they are a few blue jelly beans hanging out at the top of the screen. Not a big deal.

Like the grammy winning song states: Don't worry. Be happy...
Old 08-20-04, 10:57 AM   #49 (permalink)

the 6000 members is a little deceiving 4000 of those members havent posted since the begining of the year and 3000 have less than 2 posts.

Anyway I see this all the time. People start complaining about advertising this and that that shows up on forums like they own the site. Its great that people be come so attacted to a site but in reality we dont own it Jeff does.

A rough assesment on my part of advertising rates and server cost is that this site should be paying for itself and should be clearing a little cash. I hope it is its an awesome site. Its his right to put as much adverting on it as he wants. are you actually going to not use it because of the extra buttons...I doubt it.

Frankly I hope this site grows to be considered more than a "canadian" site something to rival king snake and makes Jeff a mint. It is a far better run site.

I dont think we deserve to know whats up with the new buttons. Its a business decision and its not our business. If the site is in the red though I wouldnt mind hearing about that as I would chip in to help out.

Last edited by Derrick; 08-20-04 at 11:13 AM..
Old 08-20-04, 11:03 AM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to ib_inked
Canadian/American, whatever. This site must cost a bundle to run and as far as I can tell there isn't a huge amount of financial support. I just come here for the information and the amusement
of seeing threads that include people that have the same hobby as me. If the sponsorship has to come from somewhere, it may as well be the americans. Their dollar is worth more anyhoo. eh?
Login to remove ads
Old 08-20-04, 11:04 AM   #51 (permalink)

The only reason I keep bringing it back up is because we still have no real answers as to why they are there. Is it really that hard for someone in charge of things here to announce to the 6000+ members what indeed is happening. Yes Tim I am very glad we have a place to hang out with like minded individuals, it's just that suspicious things on websites get me a little excited because I recently had to pay large to get my system rebuilt after a major crash. Yesterday when I first posted this nobody knew anything including the mods. I find that very odd for such a large site that the higher ups wouldn't at least let the mods know so they could explain to the members whats going on. So on that note hey mods WHAT IS GOING ON!!!

Dave
Old 08-20-04, 11:17 AM   #52 (permalink)

Would Jeff be able to down size the cost if he erased the acounts from people that havent posted this year? just a thought. I will also be donating 5-10 dollars hopefully more people will do so.
Matt
Old 08-20-04, 11:26 AM   #53 (permalink)

Dave it pretty obvious that its nothing malicious. If you are just freaked out about something happening to your computer I wouldn't worry.

Was it a software or hardware crash? Just out of couriosity what did you pay? I redo 3-4 computers a month for nothing(usually end up getting a case of beer, a bottle of something or $50+ donation). You should make a computer geek friend the stores soak you every time. I'm actually logged in from one right now that I'm just finishing up(windows update is slow).
Old 08-20-04, 11:30 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt.B
Would Jeff be able to down size the cost if he erased the acounts from people that havent posted this year? just a thought. I will also be donating 5-10 dollars hopefully more people will do so.
Matt
well personaly if he was going to erase people it would probably be those that havent logged in this year. I just couldnt search that as a user. But it wouldnt actually save him anything.
Old 08-20-04, 11:44 AM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to ib_inked
As Derrick says, I dont know what kind of crash would cost you that much moolah? I'm sure it was more a pre-existing hardware crash than anything. But as he says, NEVER take it to a store like Future Shop or Best Buy. Make a geek friend and have them do it. I do it for trade as well. Beer is the most popular, but even a few bucks will have yer system fixed in probably a few minutes.
The PC shops are like car mechanics, they can tell you that your rotary inclosure flux capacitor hose needs to be reverted, and you'll pay for it!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-20-04, 11:47 AM   #56 (permalink)

The site isn't going anywhere.. It will remain the way it is, just with the buttons across the top, but from my understanding, the buttons perhaps will be revamped and not stick out like a sore thumb anymore..

-Matt
Old 08-20-04, 12:04 PM   #57 (permalink)

Hey Derrick, I used a company called Rent A Geek, I don't know what the problem was exactly but he told me that my comp was full of spyware and hyjacked so bad that it took them two days to sort it out and they had to completly rebuild my operating system?I don't know jack about computers really, ignorance isn't always bliss!! LOL!! This is the first forum i've ever joined, so I hope it's all good. Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the panic!!

Dave
Old 08-20-04, 12:08 PM   #58 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lostwithin
Hey, I missed the first half of the thread I did notice the buttons, and after entering one of the sites ran into a few problems with my pc, but that is not the fault of ssnakess.com, I simply wont click the button again lol. I also agree with the idea of erasing accounts that are no longer active, most sites have a time limit, like if you remain inactive for more then 6 month you get deleted, and would have too re-register. seems fair enough, just cleans out the junk, And right at the end Matt_k mentioned changing them , all that would have too be done would be switch the background color of white too black. Almost anyone can do that, and it would then just blend into the top of the page. Everybody would be happy. I donít see what the big deal with them is other then they stick out, but thatís being worked one everything takes time too be perfected.

Devon
Old 08-20-04, 01:24 PM   #59 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I think the deal is that Canadians who joined ssnakess.com joined because we wanted a CANADIAN site....now please my American friends and members, I am not bashing you as I am a American myself, just living in Canada....

My whole point though is Canada needs PURE Canadian based areas for herps. USA markets are 100% different than those for us Canadians....even questions regarding simple heating issues can have different answers depending on your location.....and for a long time Canandian herpers have had nothing but a small section for Canandian only on most sites. SSNAKESS.COM was finally a CANADIAN place where you know you are speaking with people who are dealing in the same market, with the same breeders and with the same pricing.

If the buttons are just some new links, great. Really who cares. But if its a merger, or something else, then Canadians may feel they are once again becoming a minority on a American website.

Marisa
Old 08-20-04, 01:49 PM   #60 (permalink)
hhw

Does this mean we're switching to the new chat then? That would be a shame, to have to switch from an established, well-developed chat protocol complete with RFC's and mature codebases for daemons and clients alike to some crappy *** web applet.
Closed Thread