sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-04, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Rikki Send a message via Yahoo to Rikki
How You Were Introduced to The Reptile Hobby

How were you introduced into the reptile hobby?

I was from 5 years old intrested in reptiles. Watching Animal Planet and the Discovery Channel i learned quite a bit for 5 ^_^. I then got my first herp when i was 9, a iguana. But once i turned 10 i was introduced to an amazing BP which i have to this day. Then i was addicted and started to take in reptiles from rescues and stores. Its an amazing hobby, and ill be here for many years to come.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-15-04, 02:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
I started out when I was about 4. I got some little platic dinosaurs for Chritmas from my Uncle and Aunt that sparked a rather intense interest in dinosaurs. When I was about 7 or 8 I crossed over more into reptiles, which my Mom didn't appreciate. She let me have an iguana, a skink and some anoles but never any snakes.

After nearly a decade of begging for a snake she finally agreed to an albino burm in a local paper that was free to a good home. Really asking for the burm was just a ritual that I performed with every snake was the least bit inexpencive. She called my bluff. I traded the burm some time later for some BPs and now that I have several snakes Mom has pretty much given up on saying no, planting my feet more firmly in the hobby.
Old 08-15-04, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Rikki Send a message via Yahoo to Rikki
Ive had an intrest for animals for like since iw as 2, but reptiles have been the more intresting of the animals. I also like aquarium fish.
Old 08-15-04, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Well I was 4 and at my cottage in Muskoka and I was outside playing when I caught sigh of something going through the grass at a slow pace, needless to say I went for a look. It was a large female eastern garter snake I was facinated so I picked her up (It was easier then I thought no biting and no musking) and took her home. My father set up a tank and I kept her for the summer ever since then I was hooked. So garters will always hold a special spot for me......
Old 08-15-04, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to dank7oo
That would have to be when I was 10 and visited a friend who had a chameleon. Been hooked ever since.

Login to remove ads
Old 08-15-04, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Genius
When I was 8 and got bit by a Mojave on vacation. I enjoyed the treatment at the hospital so much, I decided to become either a nurse, or a snake owner.
Do not buy from
Old 08-15-04, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to stha4 Send a message via MSN to stha4
Well my bros started gettin into snakes first when i was ever since ive been hooked!! Now i have more snakes than my bros.
Old 08-15-04, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
I have always had a interest in herps growing up. Here and there I would find a toad or a turtle around my house but what did it for me was when I went to the local pet shop and saw a veild chamleon hunt down its prey. It blew my mind away, so I did some research and a couple of months later I bought a baby veild chameleon.
Old 08-15-04, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Leviathan
I don't really remember a time when I didn't like reptiles. I know when I was six I asked my parents for an alligator for my birthday... much to there dismay. I always brought salamanders, frogs and snakes home would hide them in my room for a day so I could draw a picture of them and then let them go. I got my first reptile, an iguana 'Iggalotta' when I was twelve. My first snake when I was 14, a mole king named 'disco' and then when I moved out... well I've slightly expanded

In the words of a Ball python, "I won't eat it, but I'll squeeze it."
Old 08-15-04, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to burmese maniac
my first job was in a pet store and I was in charge of the reptile section. real cool summer job!!!!!!!!!!!
1.1.0 high yellow sorong bareneck scrub pythons
1.0.0 reticulated python tiger phase
0.1.0 dumeril boa
1.0.0 black mexican king snake
Login to remove ads
Old 08-15-04, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to annieb_mice Send a message via Yahoo to annieb_mice
I can't remember a time when I WASN"T interesting in snakes, lizards, frogs, bugs, ect. I remember growing up in New Westminster, B.C., and going frogging behind the Canada Games Pool where there was a big pond! I used to catch salamanders, frogs, snakes, bugs, ect there all the time! A great place for "snaking" was in the HUGE field right behind the old B.C. Pen! I can't count the number of snakes I used to find there on any one given day.. LOL! I kept one snake for a while, then let it go. I remember setting up a "pond" and raising tadpoles for a while too... I would spend HOURS just catching bugs and stuff and running home again to feed them! I can't remember how many actually survived, but there were quite a few of them, and I brought them all down to the pond behind the pool and let them all go.. after saying good bye to each and every one of them... LOL!
Nowadays, I have two ball pythons, two sinoloan milksnakes, two boa constrictors, and coming soon... two Mexican Black kingsnakes!
Take care
Annie B. <:3 )~~
Please check out our new website --
Old 08-15-04, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well I always loved animals since a kid, but I think when it came to reptiles, I gotta blame National Geographic, Discovery Channel and Animal Channel. Once dear old Steve came on with Crocs and snakes I went nuts after into reptiles. I should charge my full funds I put into this hobby towards Steve, it was his fault.....

Old 08-15-04, 06:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Bartman
It actually wasnít to long ago that I really got into keeping reptiles, about 2 years ago because of a little frog I found at my cottage that I took home and kept. My friend now has him and its doing great (I just donít like amphibs )

I have always had an interest in animals though, from watching discovery, animal planet, national geo, etc instead of cartoons when I was young. I also think I got into reptiles from having a love for dinosaurs. Jurassic Park was one of my favorite movies as a child.

I couldnít see myself without owning at least one reptile. I donít think I could do it!
Old 08-15-04, 11:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Kevin McRae
Catching garter snakes by the snake pits
Old 08-16-04, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
i have been around reptiles ever since i was about 3, when my family moved to a new house, and our next door neighboor turned out to be the president of out local herp society. i probably spent more time over at that house than i did at my own. my first herp that i was wholly responsible for was an african clawed frog, when i was seven. i still have him. although i have never lost my love of frogs, i am now a confirmed snake addict, got my first corn at about age twelve and have had snakes ever since.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread