border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-04, 05:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Rikki Send a message via Yahoo to Rikki
Thanks for the kind words thunder. I am expirienced and i know what im doing. I dont know why chose to mess with me, ive been nothing but a good member here.
Old 08-14-04, 05:53 PM   #32 (permalink)

Again, how do judge experience? I got my first snake, a corn, November 1st 2001. Am I experienced?
Trevor
Old 08-14-04, 05:54 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikki
I dont only feed and water him, i handle him daily, take him around the shop, clean his cage and much more. Whats up with everyone picking?
Sorry, I don't agree with you walking around the store holding an 11' burm.. I wouldn't walk around my room alone with an 11' burm.. Large snakes require atleast two people for handling.. No matter how much you say you can read his movements and what not, it's just not safe.. But, that's my opinion..
Old 08-14-04, 05:58 PM   #34 (permalink)

Here is my own personal example. I own a BP, I work with it everyday but I dont think that considers me to be experienced with them. IMO one must have work with numerous BPs or whatever species and raise them, breed them successfully, and know their behaviours to be considered experienced.
Old 08-14-04, 06:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

I dont walk with him alone, hes way too heavy. I have a partner
Login to remove ads
Old 08-14-04, 06:13 PM   #36 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to dank7oo
Experiance ... I have owned chameleons for the better part of five years, and even though I have owned four species, soon to be five, I do not consider myself an expert by any means. There is always more to observe and study, and I plan on continuing for many years to come.

Jason
Old 08-14-04, 06:37 PM   #37 (permalink)

I think that part of the issue here is the all of none approach to experience in this thread. No doubt Rikki is experienced. But then again, my cousin decapitated (sp) a 'rattlesnake' (Nerodia sipedon) a couple months ago, I suppose that she is experienced to some degree as well, she did have an experience. I think it's important that people realize that, while they mey be experienced, there are like hundereds or thousands of people more experienced than them. Those who choose on-line forums such as this to proclaim their excellence (not saying that's what your doing Rikki, though I have seen others do it) are likely not the experts they believe themselves to be.

A main concern of mine is that you may not fully appreciate the cost of these 'free' animals... an interesting excersize (sp) would be to make an estimate. Do some research and try to calculate the annual cost of food and other expences, as well as the cost to properly set up housing for the animal. Really, saving $25 on an iguana isn't that great a deal, especually if it unhealthy or untame.

PS - I sound a little high and mighty in this post and thought I should clarify my own experience. I have had an iguana (became eggbound and died) as well as several anoles and a skink. Snakes, I had a rescue burm but traded it for some bps (not because I was incapible [sp] of caring for it, I came to the realization that it may not be a good pet once I'm in university and opted for something smaller). I currently maintain 4 bps, so really, I'm not as experienced as Rikki.

Cam
Old 08-14-04, 07:57 PM   #38 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to bistrobob85
Wow, i think you're way too experienced for me, Rikki. You have dealt with pythons more than twice my size and had a huge 5 footer iguana... Most important of all, you work in a pet store! You also have a nile monitor, which is only suitable for an experienced keeper, so you're safe about that! After all, you said in at least three different forums that you were experienced! I'm pretty impressed and so everyone should be! You're sooo experienced! Wow, no kidding, i wouldnt proclaim having experience until i have kept herps for a least 5-6 years more than i have now ( had my first herps in 1993-1994 ), kept and possibly bred some of the most picky and difficult herps around repetedly! I thought we had already had this huge discution about ''experienced and people proclaiming having experience'' a few months ago... The wise one is the one who realizes he knows nothing, the fools know it all already...

phil.
Old 08-14-04, 07:58 PM   #39 (permalink)

I hate it when you write a whole lot and nobody replies and you feel like you've killed the thread.

*Edit*
Oops, people had replied, I just needed to refresh.

Last edited by CamHanna; 08-14-04 at 08:04 PM..
Old 08-14-04, 08:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

YOur very kind phil.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-14-04, 08:00 PM   #41 (permalink)

same to me
Old 08-14-04, 08:06 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

I see why so many members are scared away. So if im expirienced im a bad person or something?
Old 08-14-04, 08:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Super Genius

Rikki; On a final note; so you say you've been into reptiles for 4 years, and that you are also "very expirienced". You're 14! Do your Mommy and Daddy know that you want the added responsibility of taking in unwanted, unhealthy and possibly dangerous reptiles? Do you have any idea how much money alone will be needed to care for these extra animals? I'm guessing a paper route won't cover it. Did you even ask Mommy and Daddy's permission? Geez, I remember when I was 14, puberty was hard enough, but having to do my bed in the morning, shower daily and take out the garbage would put me over the edge responsibility-wise.
Lastly, to proclaim yourself a"very expirienced" reptile keeper was laughable at best. I've been on this site for just under two years, and have over 60 "snake years" (refer to vpi.com for explanation) of experience working exclusively with one species of snake and I continue to learn every day. I'm not very experienced, I've barely scratched the surface of knowledge with this species. Of the almost 6000 members on this here site, I would estimate there to be maybe 75-80 who are truly "very experienced" and you sir/madam are not one of them.
I understand, "Newbie" mistake, but if you want to be taken seriously around here, engage in topics other than "How old are you", "Are you Canadian/American", "Favorite soft drink", "Favorite who cares"........

Last edited by mykee; 08-14-04 at 08:18 PM..
Old 08-14-04, 08:07 PM   #44 (permalink)

sorry rikki, i know it sounds very rude... its just that it always causes the same debate when someone auto-proclaims himself to be experienced... no offense, pal. You would have understood my reaction if you had read the discution about experience there was a while ago! once again, sorry for that rude post.

phil.
Old 08-14-04, 08:13 PM   #45 (permalink)

WHAT?!?!? YOURE 14 AND YOU'VE GOT A NILE MONITOR???? ITS PRETTY SURE YOUR PARENTS HAVE NO CLUE OF THE ANIMAL YOU'VE JUST BOUGHT!!! Who is going to pay to feed the 7 footer monitor??? YOU must be kidding!

phil.
Closed Thread